Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Cavan cost?

• 02-08-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hiho

So lets assume that I will move out from Dublin to Cavan to rent some house, however my job will be in Dublin, (from mon - friday) anyone has any clues how much I would pay by bus eirann ? I don't have a driver licence yet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Igor2155 wrote: »
    Hiho

So lets assume that I will move out from Dublin to Cavan to rent some house, however my job will be in Dublin, (from mon - friday) anyone has any clues how much I would pay by bus eirann ? I don't have a driver licence yet

I'd strongly reconsider it if I were you

I lived in Virginia for a few years and did a year commuting to Dublin by car to Fairview - it took about 90 mins each way on the M3 and cost a fortune in diesel and tolls every month (2.0 TDI Passat @ €600+ a month and the added wear and tear on the car, extra tyres, extra servicing etc).. and that was good going considering my boss let me start/finish an hour later to accommodate so I missed the worst of it.

With the bus you'd be looking at upwards of 2-2.5 hours each way I'd guess and possibly longer if it goes the old road.

Anything you save in renting (about €4-600 for a 3-bed semi-D) will be eaten in commuting costs and the time it'll take will destroy you long term :(

You'd be better off putting the money you'll save on rent towards getting a place closer to where you'll be working TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Igor2155

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'd strongly reconsider it if I were you

I lived in Virginia for a few years and did a year commuting to Dublin by car to Fairview - it took about 90 mins each way on the M3 and cost a fortune in diesel and tolls every month (2.0 TDI Passat @ €600+ a month and the added wear and tear on the car, extra tyres, extra servicing etc).. and that was good going considering my boss let me start/finish an hour later to accommodate so I missed the worst of it.

With the bus you'd be looking at upwards of 2-2.5 hours each way I'd guess and possibly longer if it goes the old road.

Anything you save in renting (about €4-600 for a 3-bed semi-D) will be eaten in commuting costs and the time it'll take will destroy you long term :(

You'd be better off putting the money you'll save on rent towards getting a place closer to where you'll be working TBH

Thank u so much! I was thinking about Virginia, To be honest I really liked the houses to rent in Cavan region, they are nice furnished and they have good prices according to dublin houses... Maybe you know lads any nearest region that I could find a house with 2 bedrooms with central heating ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Igor2155 wrote: »
    Thank u so much! I was thinking about Virginia, To be honest I really liked the houses to rent in Cavan region, they are nice furnished and they have good prices according to dublin houses... Maybe you know lads any nearest region that I could find a house with 2 bedrooms with central heating ?

Virginia IS a lovely town and the houses in some of the estates are a lot better and cheaper than what you'd get in Dublin for the same money ... but it's only really practical if you're living AND working in the area (as I was when I moved out there)

The only way such a commute would work IMO is if you were working on the outskirts of Dublin in Blanchardstown/Clonee/Damastown (in other words, places that mean you don't have to cross the M50 - especially southbound as you'll be paying more tolls then too)

In my case I did the commute from Cavan for a year because it was a way to get back into work after being unemployed for a year, but when they made me permanent and offered me a promotion out on our south-side offices I moved back up to that area... now I have an 8 minute commute and am home every day by 5pm :)

As for where to move instead, well really that depends on where you're working in Dublin, whether you are ok with sharing or want your own place, budget etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Igor2155

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Virginia IS a lovely town and the houses in some of the estates are a lot better and cheaper than what you'd get in Dublin for the same money ... but it's only really practical if you're living AND working in the area (as I was when I moved out there)

The only way such a commute would work IMO is if you were working on the outskirts of Dublin in Blanchardstown/Clonee/Damastown (in other words, places that mean you don't have to cross the M50 - especially southbound as you'll be paying more tolls then too)

In my case I did the commute from Cavan for a year because it was a way to get back into work after being unemployed for a year, but when they made me permanent and offered me a promotion out on our south-side offices I moved back up to that area... now I have an 8 minute commute and am home every day by 5pm :)

As for where to move instead, well really that depends on where you're working in Dublin, whether you are ok with sharing or want your own place, budget etc.

My mom has a job in Clonee, :) also I need to admit Cavan has big georgeus lake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can probably expect a monthly ticket from Virginia to Dublin to be in the order of €150-200 and for an annual ticket to cost 10 times that. You can avail of www.taxsaver.ie only if your employer takes part.

http://busfare.co.uk/cgi-bin/eireann.isa/EXEC
    Service 109
    15.00 : Adult Single
    13.50 : Student Single
    10.50 : Child Single
    19.50 : Adult Mw Rtn
    12.50 : Child Mw Rtn
    19.00 : Adult Day Rtn
    12.50 : Child Day Rtn
    24.00 : Adult Rtn
    17.50 : Student Rtn
    15.00 : Child Return