Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Website?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to have a taxi driver that agreed a fixed fair from Dublin City Centre to home (Meath) and used to use him on an infrequent basis. Both of us were happy, he was getting a nice fare, I was getting about 20 off the meter price and knew what I had to pay before I went out.

This taxi driver has since changed careers.

I was wondering if there is any website where people can put up their journey and taxi drivers can get in contact with a fare? If not, would this be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if there is a demand for a website as such, but things like Hailo (currently Cork and Dublin only) would be useful - you need sufficient critical mass to be believed by the drivers and public.

There are some quite good routes like the 109 and 109a (and some not so good) that will get you a fair distance into Meath. Then pick up a local taxi. Not perfect, but it's an option.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=247#Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

www.irelandbytaxi.com is another site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Hi,

I used to have a taxi driver that agreed a fixed fair from Dublin City Centre to home (Meath) and used to use him on an infrequent basis. Both of us were happy, he was getting a nice fare, I was getting about 20 off the meter price and knew what I had to pay before I went out.

This taxi driver has since changed careers.

I was wondering if there is any website where people can put up their journey and taxi drivers can get in contact with a fare? If not, would this be a good idea?

I preume you signed a waiver form to agree the "fixed fare".?
    I presume the driver left the meter on during the trip ?
    I presume you ask for discounts when you order a pint of beer or buy a pair of jeans ?
    I presume you ask for a discount when entering a night club?
    Why expect a taxi driver to give you a discount ?
    Is it any wonder the driver had to change jobs ,to make a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The taximan haggled on the car, insurance, servicing and any trips to the motor factors. About the only thing they didn't haggle on was motor tax

A self employed person can expect their customers to also haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oisindoyle wrote: »

that's all very presumptuous of you, where did OP say he HAD to change careers?
    What exactly is wrong with haggling a price may I ask? It's not like the driver looses out, no meter, cash in hand, no tax declaration etc. both parties benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭cullenswood

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I preume you signed a waiver form to agree the "fixed fare".?
    I presume the driver left the meter on during the trip ?
    I presume you ask for discounts when you order a pint of beer or buy a pair of jeans ?
    I presume you ask for a discount when entering a night club?
    Why expect a taxi driver to give you a discount ?

Taxi Driver did not HAVE to change jobs because he was giving cheap fares, he changed jobs because he wanted to do something else.

He did not HAVE to offer me a cheaper fare, but was happy with the arrangement, and actually got a lot of business from the rest of my family in airport runs etc.
    I usually do ask for a discount when buying my clothes, and pretty much always ask for a discount entering a night club ("you'll let the three of us in for the price of two won't you!" kind of thing).

Haggling is pretty much part of life now, the hagglee does not have to give the haggler a discount, but in reverse the haggler does not have to give the hagglee the business if they do not see it as a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

that's all very presumptuous of you, where did OP say he HAD to change careers?
    What exactly is wrong with haggling a price may I ask? It's not like the driver looses out, no meter, cash in hand, no tax declaration etc. both parties benefit.

On what basis are you assuming that that a fixed fare hasn't been declared as part of a tax return?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Guys, keep it constructive.

For service industries, it is often how busy the service is, not the individual price that is charged that decides profitability - five discounted €10 fares is better than one full-price €15 fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The taximan haggled on the car, insurance, servicing and any trips to the motor factors.
    You bet he did. My late father owned a motor factors and taximen would ALWAYS look for a trade discount, to which they were obviously not entitled as a motor factor gives trade prices to non-end users (ie, mechanics).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is a demand for a website as such, but things like Hailo (currently Cork and Dublin only)

And Galway, since Monday of this week.

Apparently. (Haven't succeeded in putting it on my old phone yet).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It shouldn't need saying, but dragging a thread further off topic with content that's irrelevant to the OP's actual question isn't welcome. I've deleted some such posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Someone originally put up a link to a taxi website that offered a fixed fare of €1 per km, with a €50 min charge. Seems to have gone missing now. Can anyone PM it to me please?

Thanks

Advertisement