Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Occupy Hong Kong

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

mikeym wrote: »
    Cameron is too scared of China.

Imagine if Britain wanted to take Hong Kong back :D

Everyone is scared of China and China knows that. Neither Cameron nor Obama would take them on.

Britain wanting Hong Kong back isn't really on the table. Hong Kong were crazy to go near China in the first place. China was never going to let them have free reign, i.e. democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Berserker wrote: »
    Hong Kong were crazy to go near China in the first place. China was never going to let them have free reign, i.e. democracy.

It wasn't a choice.

The British lease expired.... So it reverted back to China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It wasn't a choice.

The British lease expired.... So it reverted back to China

Why was independence not a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know what's been spun more in this thread.. bow-ties or history
    It's also widely associated with left-wing resentment at wealth and success
    It wasn't a choice.

The British lease expired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont think independence was ever on the cards.

It was part of China, China leased it to England, the lease ran out and so it went back to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I thought these protests were about the voting system for the chief executive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

If Britain granted them independence they would quickly have been annexed by mainland China. The freedoms they currently have are due to negotiations by Britain with China prior to the handover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In the background to this it should be noted that Hong Kong people really don't like mainlanders as a rule. They consider them uncivilized country bumpkins and consider themselves as a higher class of Chinese person. Mainland shoppers are called 'Locusts' in local Canto slang despite them spending huge amounts of money as tourists. When I was there they were freaking out about mainlanders using HK hospitals (paying good money for it too) and an increase in mainland cars being allowed to cross the border. The irony is, many PRC middle class see Hong Kong as the China the mainland could be and are fascinated by it.

It really is an uneasy marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

dlouth15 wrote: »

They are. The word occupy seems to bring certain people out in a rash. Who cares what its called what they are fighting for is the important thing.

• Advertisement

dlouth15 wrote: »

They are. The word occupy seems to bring certain people out in a rash. Who cares what its called what they are fighting for is the important thing.

Article about links.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/the-americans-who-inspired-hong-kongs-protesters/381095/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/hong-kong-protests-begin-to-subside-30641548.html

"About 25 protesters, mostly students, refused to budge from the site, and some said they plan to stay for as long as they can."

Protest diminishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/hong-kong-protests-begin-to-subside-30641548.html

"About 25 protesters, mostly students, refused to budge from the site, and some said they plan to stay for as long as they can."

Protest diminishing.

Did you miss the several hundred others noted in the article

"About 25 protesters, mostly students, refused to budge from the site, and some said they plan to stay for as long as they can. Another couple of hundred protesters remained in the Mong Kok area where some scuffles broke out over the weekend"

Chances are they are regrouping and resting away from the areas .

It would make a great distraction move away from the main areas and government buildings then catch the police and other authority's off at a later date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

sounds like the Occupy guy lost

Schools and work finishing there now crowds returning.

20Cent wrote: »
    Schools and work finishing there now crowds returning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29494885

The BBC haven't updated their report yet.

Is it rising from the 100 or so to the tens of thousands that were reported a few days ago or is it just up to a couple of hundred?

• Advertisement

Is it rising from the 100 or so to the tens of thousands that were reported a few days ago or is it just up to a couple of hundred?

following it on twitter looks like a few hundred from photos but hard to tell.

20Cent wrote: »

The BBC report has updated to say that "on Monday evening, more than 1,000 protesters remained in three key locations - a far smaller crowd than over the weekend."

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

This is still on going? The latest is that the protestors still have the 3 sites after the police took one last week there was an appeal and thousands took the Mong Kok site back. I wonder how things will pan out now !

Apparently there is a small contingent still there but large groups ready to join them if necessary. Talks had been cancelled after police attacked protesters previously but formal talks are going ahead again now.

Comment by Leung looks hopeful.

"There's room for discussion there," he told a small group of reporters. "There's room to make the nominating committee more democratic."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/21/us-hongkong-china-idUSKCN0IA00L20141021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I dont think independence was ever on the cards.

It was part of China, China leased it to England, the lease ran out and so it went back to China.

No, that's not right. Only some of Hong Kong, called the New Territories, was leased from China, Hong Kong island and Kowloon were full British possessions taken from China in the opium wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Jinonatron wrote: »
    This is still on going? The latest is that the protestors still have the 3 sites after the police took one last week there was an appeal and thousands took the Mong Kok site back. I wonder how things will pan out now !

Yes, still going on, protestors surrounding government HQ!
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-30/hong-kong-protesters-clash-with-police-outside-government-office.html

Advertisement