Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John McNulty / Enda Kenny Saga.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cannot believe the government appointed someone as chair of the policing board

so much for separating politics and policing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Do they just send these muppets out to deflect??

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcnulty-was-appointed-to-museum-board-on-merit-says-arts-minister-652374.html

Or is it just pure contempt for the electorate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous suggestion and misses the point altogether.

The point is not that a process of Government appointment filters out undesirable characters. A half-literate HR manager could do that.

The point is that the Government Appointee should be a person whose leadership approach reflects the democratic interests of the voting public, and whose office is accountable to the public via the nexus of elected Government.

It may well be that future appointees may be criminals, or members of Sinn Féin, or both. Whatever. The object is to give the Appointee democratic authority over an area of particular social importance, whoever they are.

You are suggesting that the person should be a politician from the qualities you look for e.g. "reflects the democratic interests of the voting public" and "democratic authority".

I actually think that the person should be above reproach, not linked to any political party and with an established career behind them in which they have demonstrated impartiality and fairness. A well-respected Revenue Commissioner meets that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Godge wrote: »
    I actually think that the person should be above reproach, not linked to any political party and with an established career behind them in which they have demonstrated impartiality and fairness.
    Nobody disagrees with a statement that an appointee to such an office should meet the highest ethical standards, although there is no clear and objective test for that.

However your claim that a person should not be linked to a political party is more puzzling. I have to conclude from your statement that former politicians, regardless of experience and knowledge, are to be indiscriminately barred from state appointments?

A huge amount of people get involved in politics precisely because they are active citizens interested in contributing to national policy. Why shouldn't they be board members, judges, or chairmen of policing boards, if they meet the necessary qualifications?

I have no idea what Josephine Feehily's political background is, but I find it hard to believe that a person of her intelligence and experience is politically neutral and has no political outlook. I certainly hope she does not.

Politics isn't a dirty word, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

new guidelines for stateboard appointments http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/2014_1125_Guidelines_Appointments_to_State_Boards.pdf just guidelines can still be ignored by minister

• Advertisement
Advertisement