Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missed out on a Nexus - what is the next best option?

• 04-09-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hypothetical question...

If you are one of those people that missed out on a Nexus (for what ever reason)....what is the next best option?

I guess the Samsung Galaxy 4 and HTC one are the obvious contenders... but they are so expensive SIM free...

Outside of the cheap Chinese imports... what is the next best option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Is the oppo not just simply an expensive version of the chinese imports?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Missed out on a Nexus? Have they stopped selling them? I thought they reduced the price to £199 for the 16gb N4 recently. How can one have missed out on them? I are confuzzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Having your order cancelled by google for ordering from Ireland,and not willing to jump through hoops to try ordering again I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 magicmonkey

Having your order cancelled by google for ordering from Ireland,and not willing to jump through hoops to try ordering again I would imagine.

Exactly!
    And now that the order is cancelled, the play store does not appear to be accepting new orders!

So anybody else any suggestions besides the Oppo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Exactly!
    And now that the order is cancelled, the play store does not appear to be accepting new orders!

Have a look at wikomobile.com.

Peax2 4.5inch
    Cink Five 5inch
    Stairway 5inch Gorilla Glass
    Darkside 5.7inch Gorilla Glass

All available on Amazon.fr (Stairway and Darkside pre-order). I don't have one in my hand yet but I've pre-ordered the Stairway. Based on the reviews for the other models I'm fairly confident it'll be a good phone. €10 delivery from Amazon.fr to Ireland + additional VAT of 3.4% (French VAT is 19.6%).

Sure I could get the Nexus 4 for £199 (~€240) but it's a good bit of hassle.... I could try and get a cheap Chinese phone and hope it gets by customs. At least with Amazon.fr they offer a fairly safe means of returning the item if there's an issue for a refund.

Anyhow have a look. Can't say they'll be right for your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I had an order for a 16GB cancelled. Re-ordered straight away (having done nothing different) and I am now updating my Nexus 4 to Android 4.3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Outside of the cheap Chinese imports... what is the next best option?

You should probably take another look at them 'cheap Chinese imports'!! :)

Got a lovely 5in Quad Core (Dual Sim, Gorilla Glass, 12mp camera) for under €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If OS didn't matter i'd buy this for its value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Just get the nexus 4, it's simple to get it and definitely worth the 15 minutes It takes to get it, arrives within 4 days. For 250 euro just do it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Well presumably the fact that the 8GB is discontinued and the 16GB is likely to go that way, its probable the new Nexus is coming soon. I've read rumours suggesting a $200-$299 price point in the US so around €250 here. Hopefully we'll have access to the Devices section on the Play Store by the release date too. If you're not a rush why not wait a while and see?

Advertisement