Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$ $ $ CAO offers - how they work! $ $ $

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

You accept your offer, if you haven't already done so, and you will be contacted shortly directly by your college.

Ya, done that. :) Contacted by post I assume?

Thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

if you dont get offered anything better in the 2nd round, do u get offered the same course again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ya, done that. :) Contacted by post I assume?

Thanks for the reply. :)
    Possibly both, but it depends on the college.

Keep an eye on the email address you used as well.
    if you dont get offered anything better in the 2nd round, do u get offered the same course again?
    No, you have the choice before Monday to accept or reject that offer, then it disappears.

Remember that whether you accept it or reject it will have no bearing on whether you get a higher offer in the second round ** IF** you qualify for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Possibly both, but it depends on the college.

Keep an eye on the email address you used as well.

No, you have the choice before Monday to accept or reject that offer, then it disappears.

Remember that whether you accept it or reject it will have no bearing on whether you get a higher offer in the second round ** IF** you qualify for one.

so if i accept this, i could end up getting offered a better one?

Yes, if the points drop / you're entitled to it.

There is no guarantee.

But whether you accept or reject your first offer won't make any difference to whether you get a second offer IF you're entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Hey I got my 4rth choice offered to me and I never really considered doing it, so I'm a bit sketchy bout accepting it. I'm on the border between that course and just taking a year out to repeat I guess. Can anyone tell the deets as to what will happen if i accept the course then after the first few weeks decide to drop out? Will I have to pay all those registration fees and/or lose my free fees for next year accepting another preferred course? Eagerly awaiting your help thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 enchanted121

Can someone help, I'm freaking out. I got offered my 4th choice and I don't like it, so does that mean if I reject it I can't get anything below it????

I got 540 and above my 4th choice is Pharmacy is RCSI, which is at 555.. If I don't take what I've been offered, what's going to happen?

Can someone help, I'm freaking out. I got offered my 4th choice and I don't like it, so does that mean if I reject it I can't get anything below it????
    Yes, it means exactly that.

As has been said a number of times on this thread alone, you can only be offered a HIGHER preference in Round 2, not a lower one.

See excerpt from CAO handbook below:
    Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.
    I got 540 and above my 4th choice is Pharmacy is RCSI, which is at 555.. If I don't take what I've been offered, what's going to happen?
    Nothing very much tbh, unless the places for RCSI come down substantially in the second round, which I would not expect to happen, being honest, in which case you may get an offer for there. You will not have an offer / place for this year.

You could have a look at CAO Vacant Places (see link in first post on this thread) to see if there is anything there that might suit better, but there are very few places offered through this mechanism.

Yes, it means exactly that.

As has been said a number of times on this thread alone, you can only be offered a HIGHER preference in Round 2, not a lower one.

See excerpt from CAO handbook below:

Nothing very much tbh, unless the places for RCSI come down substantially in the second round, which I would not expect to happen, being honest, in which case you may get an offer for there. You will not have an offer / place for this year.

You could have a look at CAO Vacant Places (see link in first post on this thread) to see if there is anything there that might suit better, but there are very few places offered through this mechanism.

Thanks for your reply, as brutally honest it may be :)

Let's say I take what I have been offered... Will I get a round 2 offer then still? And apply for a vacancy?

EDIT: Just read above that I will get a round two offer if I'm entitled :) Think I'll just accept the course I'm given, to be safe, and apply for a vacancy!

Thanks for your reply, as brutally honest it may be :)
    I don't mean to be brutal, really, but there's really no point encouraging people to bet on 1000:1 longshots when they should be thinking seriously about their realistic options.

And especially when dealing with their realistic options doesn't in any way preclude them from benefiting from their 1000:1 longshots in the unlikely event that the bet went their way!

• Advertisement

I don't mean to be brutal, really, but there's really no point encouraging people to bet on 1000:1 longshots when they should be thinking seriously about their realistic options.

And especially when dealing with their realistic options doesn't in any way preclude them from benefiting from their 1000:1 longshots in the unlikely event that the bet went their way!

You're right, at least know I'm thinking realistically, and just in time too, thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sqazi2

Hi, i got some offers from the cao but i'd rather wait till round two where i found some interest in vacant places. If i accept my offer, can i still recieve an offer in round two for the vacant place if its higher on my list?

Thanks

sqazi2 wrote: »
    Hi, i got some offers from the cao but i'd rather wait till round two where i found some interest in vacant places. If i accept my offer, can i still recieve an offer in round two for the vacant place if its higher on my list?

Thanks

Yes. But only if you are entitled to one.

Thanks
    Yes.

See the first post and the thread above.

If you have inserted a Vacant Place in your preference list higher than your current offer, it will work in exactly the same way as a higher preference which was there all along ... if you're entitled to an offer in Round 2 or subsequently, you will get that offer whether or not you have accepted your current offer.

Note: "After Round One Offers are issued, the Available Place facility operates on a weekly schedule of applications, offers and acceptances. Applications that arrive in CAO before 11:00 on a Monday will be processed and considered for offers on the following Thursday." (link)

So to get an offer in Round 2 / on Thursday for a *Vacant Place* you would need to have it in the system before 11 tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

if you accept the course then decide you dont want it what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sqazi2

Thanks, i hope i do since i have all the requirements....guess its up to luck now

Thanks, i hope i do since i have all the requirements....guess its up to luck now

No problem :) Fingers crossed for you :)

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    if you accept the course then decide you dont want it what happens?
    Moved!

Did you have to post in last year's thread when this is on the first page? :pac:

You should contact the college ASAP to withdraw ... they may be able to offer the place to someone who wants it.

Be sure you know your own mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dzeejkop

So I have accepted a course, when I will get the material about registration?

Your application record has been updated accordingly. If there has been
    an error, please notify us immediately.

The offering institution will send you material about registration. Any
    further enquiry about the course or registration should be addressed
    to the Admissions Office of the institution - not to CAO.

I have accepted the course at 19 of August.

Thanks!

Dzeejkop wrote: »
    So I have accepted a course, when I will get the material about registration?
    Some colleges are quicker than others, it's the luck of the draw really.

Try there website, there may at least be summary information up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 TimeIt

I've read through the link but I can't figure my problem out.

I've been offered a level 7 course but no level 8. I'm only 5 points off of my number 1 preference level 8. Do I have to accept the level 7 course to qualify for the second round of offers ? Or do I reject it and then qualify for the second offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

TimeIt wrote: »
    I've read through the link but I can't figure my problem out.

I've been offered a level 7 course but no level 8. I'm only 5 points off of my number 1 preference level 8. Do I have to accept the level 7 course to qualify for the second round of offers ? Or do I reject it and then qualify for the second offers?

You can accept the Level 7 yes, but you will only be offered a course in Round 2 if you are entitled to it, whether or not you have accepted or rejected the Level 7, it doesn't matter.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TimeIt

You can accept the Level 7 yes, but you will only be offered a course in Round 2 if you are entitled to it, whether or not you have accepted or rejected the Level 7, it doesn't matter.
    Best of luck!

Thanks! Hopefully since I'm only 5 points off I'll sneak in :)

TimeIt wrote: »
    I've been offered a level 7 course but no level 8. I'm only 5 points off of my number 1 preference level 8.
    Were your lower preferences higher points course, or did you just put in one L8 preference?

(Whatsername is right, same basic rule whether it's a L8 or a L6/7 you're accepting.)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

just applied for vacant places there. anywhere I can see the points for these? as I know they go up for the vacant places. also when is the next offer??

fend wrote: »
    just applied for vacant places there. anywhere I can see the points for these? as I know they go up for the vacant places. also when is the next offer??
    After Round One Offers are issued, the Available Place facility operates on a weekly schedule of applications, offers and acceptances. Applications that arrive in CAO before 11:00 on a Monday will be processed and considered for offers on the following Thursday. An offer posted on a Thursday will be available to view on the CAO website the following day. (Exception: Round Two offers will be available to view on Thursday)
    link

Advertisement