Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DARE Eligibility

Options
  • 27-06-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Did anyone apply to DARE this year? If so, did you recieve anything from them regarding whether if you have been accepted into the programme or not? I was told that I should get it after the Leaving Cert and I still didn't get anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I revived a letter today and I got "NO" as a answer because "my level of ability is not at or above the standard score" wut?

The head of the DARE programme did not even bother to sign the letter (you can see a space where they were supposed to sign it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Ah no! How are you gonna manage in September now? I guess I would be expecting mine today then.

For level of ability, would you consider yourself quite intelligent? Shouldn't it be below the standard score seeing that those with a disability would be finding academic work slighter more difficult that your average person?

Well naturally I would be a bit biased in my determination :D My spelling, reading and writing defiantly suffer as a result of the disability I have. I remember the educational psychologist in 2nd year saying that I had a high IQ and there is no doubt I have dyslexia but I don't think the psychologist I had for my most recent report even used the term "dyslexia" at all in the report.

I can't really understand the explanation they gave either tbh. Maybe I'm just too retarded to get into university? :pac:

N64 wrote: »
    Well naturally I would be a bit biased in my determination :D My spelling, reading and writing defiantly suffer as a result of the disability I have. I remember the educational psychologist in 2nd year saying that I had a high IQ and there is no doubt I have dyslexia but I don't think the psychologist I had for my most recent report even used the term "dyslexia" at all in the report.

I can't really understand the explanation they gave either tbh. Maybe I'm just too retarded to get into university? :pac:

Well that could be your problem! You're too smart for DARE stuff :rolleyes:

Maybe you should ring them and see if you can appeal the rejection?

Without going on too much of a tangent, I doubt it. <snip>

Dyslexia is defined as a "difficulty in learning to read fluently and with accurate comprehension despite normal intelligence" Maybe I just don't have "normal intelligence" :o:D

• Advertisement

N64 wrote: »
    Without going on too much of a tangent, I doubt it. <snip>

Dyslexia is defined as a "difficulty in learning to read fluently and with accurate comprehension despite normal intelligence" Maybe I just don't have "normal intelligence" :o:D

Well I have no clue about IQ testing for dyslexic people but maybe the DARE deemed you as fit without the need of any resources. If you think you really need help in college, you can try to contact the disability office of the college you are looking to go to and see what they can offer you.

Just after checking the post there and I got a letter from CAO saying that I was successful for it so happy days for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Yep, I got mine and was approved eligible for the DARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

I didnt get DEAR either even though i was diagnosed with dyslexia they said it was insuffient testing ,i dont understand it because i was tested by a pschycologist for like 3 hours and i did the DAT tests as far as i knew i had had all the tests and i posted off all reports and stuff required so i dont understand why i didnt get it.. I know i have a high or above average iQ and low reading comp and spelling so im not to sure why i didnt get it
    Can anyone help.me or tell me how to go about recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Well I have no clue about IQ testing for dyslexic people but maybe the DARE deemed you as fit without the need of any resources. If you think you really need help in college, you can try to contact the disability office of the college you are looking to go to and see what they can offer you.
    usually the disability office help you anyway as long as you make yourself known to them in september

• Advertisement

I didnt get DEAR either even though i was diagnosed with dyslexia they said it was insuffient testing ,i dont understand it because i was tested by a pschycologist for like 3 hours and i did the DAT tests as far as i knew i had had all the tests and i posted off all reports and stuff required so i dont understand why i didnt get it.. I know i have a high or above average iQ and low reading comp and spelling so im not to sure why i didnt get it
    Can anyone help.me or tell me how to go about recheck?

I'm not sure of this but when your results come out in August and you think you've gotten the course you want, I'd definitely call the disability office and ask them what can they provide you. You can do it now but I think they're closed until August for the summer. Give them a ring and see what they'll say to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tallemma

Just after checking the post there and I got a letter from CAO saying that I was successful for it so happy days for me!

What is your disability if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying this year (I have erbs palsy in my right shoulder) and just wondering if they accept more physical or other disabilities! Thanks :)

Tallemma wrote: »
    What is your disability if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying this year (I have erbs palsy in my right shoulder) and just wondering if they accept more physical or other disabilities! Thanks :)

I am profoundly deaf with a cochlear implant on my right ear. Deafness is considered as a disability as it affects your learning at young age.

I can't say that I know the erbs palsy is a disability. That is something you should ring DARE and ask them about it. Sorry if I couldn't help you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I am profoundly deaf with a cochlear implant on my right ear. Deafness is considered as a disability as it affects your learning at young age.

I can't say that I know the erbs palsy is a disability. That is something you should ring DARE and ask them about it. Sorry if I couldn't help you
    Aye it would need to be confirmed by a consultant as a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have sensorineural hearing loss i.e. I can't hear anything at all in my right ear. My consultant (private) said that there's no point in having a hearing aid as it will only affect my 'good ear' as such. I have gone to see a HSE consultant and I'm due a visit soon. I was diagnosed a few years ago around 08/09 but the schools liaison officer (or whatever is the correct name) told me that I would have a good chance of getting DARE but that I can't get any extra academic help due to my Junior Cert results - oh and I was granted a reasonable accommodation in the Junior.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else with anything similar to this - especially any Leaving Cert past students who were granted DARE on bases on hearing loss/deafness. Sorry for the long post guys! Cheers and thanks, D.

d1234 wrote: »
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I have sensorineural hearing loss i.e. I can't hear anything at all in my right ear. My consultant (private) said that there's no point in having a hearing aid as it will only affect my 'good ear' as such. I have gone to see a HSE consultant and I'm due a visit soon. I was diagnosed a few years ago around 08/09 but the schools liaison officer (or whatever is the correct name) told me that I would have a good chance of getting DARE but that I can't get any extra academic help due to my Junior Cert results - oh and I was granted a reasonable accommodation in the Junior.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else with anything similar to this - especially any Leaving Cert past students who were granted DARE on bases on hearing loss/deafness. Sorry for the long post guys! Cheers and thanks, D.

Just out of curiosity, what grades did you get in your JC? I did really well in mine, 1 A, 6 B's, 3 C's and 1 D.

I think your school liason officer is wrong on that. Everybody is allowed to be given extra academic help, even if they aren't disabled in any way. I had reasonable accommodations in both my JC and LC. Those didn't affect my application to DARE.

DARE only accesses your disability and how it will have an effect on your education. Like for mine, I was profoundly deaf meaning I had full hearing until I was 9 months old and I caught a meningitis virus which impaired my hearing. That obviously affected on my language development as a child. Got a cochlear implant when I was 4 and I was put into speech and language therapy classes since then until I went to secondary school.

Regardless whether if you do get DARE acceptance or not, you can still apply for disability services at the college you intend on enrolling. Every college in Ireland has a legal obligation to provide services for students with disability but however this is done on "first come first served basis".

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I totally agree with the above - help should be available to all. Regarding the JC, I got 6A's and 3'Bs. I found it great to have the reasonable accommodation (I got a separate room for Irish and French) and I achieved an A in both - but without the earphones I wouldn't have heard almost anything on the cd except a huge echo! That's also great to hear about colleges and I'll have a little look into that at some stage.

d1234 wrote: »
    I totally agree with the above - help should be available to all. Regarding the JC, I got 6A's and 3'Bs. I found it great to have the reasonable accommodation (I got a separate room for Irish and French) and I achieved an A in both - but without the earphones I wouldn't have heard almost anything on the cd except a huge echo! That's also great to hear about colleges and I'll have a little look into that at some stage.

That's a fantastic result you got there bud! But that shouldn't affect your eligibility criteria for extra academic support/help/assistance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it doesn't apply for the people posting here, but the Dept. will not give any extra help for a child that is below what they term 'normal' intelligence (in terms of IQ).

So, you could have a child who is a little bit slow (but could benefit greatly from some extra help/attention) and they will get no help or 'reasonable accommodation', while someone with a high IQ will.

Irish education and its level playing field.

Advertisement