Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Blatter wrote: »
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Roy-Hodgson-reveals-Luis-Suarez-was-already-a-target-when-he-was-manager-article822677.html

And tbf I would believe that because you were linked with him heavily enough for a while before Kenny got the job.

The Hodge can **** right off. We were looking at him before that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Lads I have quoted the below post from another thread and posted it here. The post is in response to Kenny's interview yesterday hinting that he may step aside if its a good thing for LFC.

Sorry for not asking Jayob but I thought the post made alot of sense and would like to ask other supporters about their interpretation of "The Liverpool Way".

Firstly, what is it exactly?

and secondly, Is it still relevant in 2012? Or romantic but redundant?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    to me that seems like Kenny in politician mode. Tugging the heart strings and preaching the good word of Liverpool to the masses. And the fans lap that stuff up.
    Any word of Shankly reminds the fans of how great the club is. The club they support.

Can someone tell me what these "Principles of Shankly" are? I'm a liverpool fan, and I mean no disrespect to the great man, and the foundations he laid. Paisley carried it on, Joe Fagan did his bit and Kenny added to the bootroom legacy.

But the empire crumbled. And the game has changed.

What exactly is this "Liverpool Way" ? Other than romantic guff to make it seem like we are a better club to anyone else? I'm baffled, is it a state of mind or what? Applauding opposition goalkeepers when they run to mind the net at the Kop end?

Its something of very little substance.

The only thing recaptured from the old days is Kenny (like Shanks) being able to hynotize the hardcore support, by spouting romantic nonsene about Liverpool FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

You are all forgetting it was ~Rebel~ who set the ball rolling regarding Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gbear wrote: »
    We didn't really need a plan B though, did we? We certainly created enough chances. If we had a plan B we would've just missed the sitters that that plan created.
    And yes maybe had we been playing a better team we would've been mauled, but we weren't.
    Good teams don't win all the time by playing perfectly.

I just don't think it's possible with our turnover to become stuck in mid table. We've got a better defence when fit (and carra will probably drop below Coates next year) than those currently around us.

There's only 5 teams in the league that have players of the same cailibre as Lucas, Suarez and possibly still Gerrard.

I think with Kenny and the management they made one big mistake and that was leaving us short of goals.
    That's their fault.

I don't think there's much more that could've been done with those resources once that mistake was made.
    They could've strengthened in January but perhaps money wasn't made available. We can't really say for sure.

We did need a plan B though. We were attacking and attacking and nothing was working. All the attacks started to get predictable and there was nothing changing on the score front in our favour.

A change of formation might have done the trick. Maybe putting Kuyt up front instead of Carroll and bringing Bellamy on so that there was an attacking quartet of Suarez, Maxi, Bellamy, and Kuyt in place.

As for our turnover making it impossible for us to become a mid table club? Three years we have been a midtable club ( anything from 6th to 15th is midtable imho) now. There are other clubs who laboured in that zone for a long time who can point to nice turnovers as well. Spurs are a very well run club and have been for quite some time. Did not stop them from hanging around that midtable area alot. Newcastle are a club that takes in quite a bit of cash. Did not stop them from being like a yo-yo in terms of divisions let alone staying a mid table club in the top division.

No I don't think our turnover will be enough to stop us becoming a club that stays midtable more often than not. If the player, manager, tactics and attitudes are not right then turnover is not going to put points on the board for us.Something has to give this summer (and I fcuking hate that every summer we have to talk about something needing to give or how X amount of players are needed) in a big way, otherwise we will be looking at 4 seasons in a row scrapping to finish as high as we can in the midtable race rather than any realistic chance of being in the top 4 shake up copme the final month or two of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We shouldn't have taken of Spearing either. West Brom had much more of the ball when he we went off.

I like Shelvey but it was the wrong decision imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Until we win the league, we will always be a couple of players short in the summer. Even when we won the champions league or the year we got to the final, we still went into the summer needing a couple of players.
    Unfortunately, I cant see us winning the league for a good few years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Get in there.

1-2 now.

Ngoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »

to be fair to Hodge, he doesn't say anything that isn't true.

while he was manager, he went to see Suarez, and the club were interested in buying him. there's nothing wrong there, and he's not even trying to get credit for it from what I can see.

i hated his reign as much as the next man, but not EVERYTHING he did was horrible, just the vast majority. he's allowed to say he and Kenny had a look at Suarez while he was in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm not putting it all on Carroll but Carroll is meant to be a number 9. He is meant to be a striker, and I would assume that he is meant to be in and around the six yard box more often than not when we are attacking.

He did work hard for most of the game yesterday, and he did put in a good shift, buit his positioning is bloody awful, and in terms of being a consistent goal threat he is almost non existent. People can say that he is trying and that he is making space and what not, but he was bought to score goals and his four league goals this season says he that he has been a failure on that front.

Suarez has never been overly prolific (save for one amazing season) throughout his career to date, but he has always been a top class foil when he has been the second striker/centre forward to a quality finisher/main striker.

Liverpool simply does not have a mediocre main striker let alone a quality one, so it makes sense that we would not see the best of Suarez as a result given that so much of his play needs a quality main striker to take advantage of it.

I think Suarez had a rate in Holland that was something like 1 goal for every 9 or 10 chances/shots he had, but he had a quality finisher in front of him that took advantage of the space Suarez created and also of the chances that Suarez made. For Liverpool I think that Suarez is somewhere around a goal for every 13 or so shots. That means his goals to chance rate is only a little worse at Liverpool than it was in Holland, but the goal scoring by those around him in attacking positions at Liverpool is far inferior than it was in Holland.

Even for the national team Suarez comes in at around 1 goals for every 10 or 11 shots, but again he has stikers around him that can read how Suarez plays and who work hard to be where they think the ball will end up.

At present I think Suarez is wasted at Liverpool because there is nobody at the club that plays the intelligent football that the likes of Suarez thrives on and who is good enough to score a bucketload of goals helped by work of Suarez and the space created by him.

Maxi has shown how a clever player than benefit from Suarez. He reads what Suarez does, and makes himself open for passes by anticipating where Suarez will put the ball. He is also very good at running into the empty space that a defender leaves behind when that defender tries to get involved in double marking Suarez.

Put a quality striker in the Liverpool team with Suarez and plenty of goals will follow. Even put a decent striker in there and I would expect him to notch 12 to 15 league goals beside Suarez.

Suarez is not perfect, but he is the best attacking player we have and the one we should be building around up front, whilst using a style of play that means he could be replaced by another quality CAM or second stiker down the line.
    I do genuinely agree with what you've said there for the most part.

He is ahead of Carroll mentally - he's about quick one-twos etc. Carroll tends to be a bit of a sledgehammer on the other hand.

At the same time I do think you've missed my point somewhat - I was saying Suarez has been poor with regard to being a team player - the opportunities yesterday where he could have passed, he didn't - maybe he would have done so in an Ajax jersey, maybe he didn't pass because he didn't see Carroll (which I really doubt!) or maybe he just doesn't trust his other strikers to score.

Whatever it was, he took the wrong option and he's done so countless times this season, to the detriment of the team.

You're definitely right about Luis making space for a foil to exploit, and you're right we don't have that atm - but when he has the ball and the option to pass or shoot he's going to shoot even if there's players in better positions and it's something that he desperately needs to cut out of his game imo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSndOwEutZdKz3pfh7rjAJvrV6ku9GSO1OTWkje4l9BEE9_HhuD

Just his Ajax stats for ya.

07/08 6.4 shots per goal (rounded up from 17 goals from 108 shots)

08/09 9 shots per goal (rounded up from 22 goals from 197 shots)

09/10 7.9 shots per goal (rounded up from 35 goals from 275 shots)

10/11 14.4 shots per goal. (rounded up from 7 goals from 101 shots)

6.4 + 9 + 7.9 +14.4 = 37.7. Divide by 4 and you get an average of 9.4 shots per goal over his time at Ajax.

Now his minutes per shot, minutes per goals, assists, secondary assists etc etc are all available online as are the same stats for his strike partners during his times at Groningen, Ajax, Liverpool, and Uraguay.

Easy to find if one has an interest in the actual stats on the player and on the players he plays with, as the strikers he plays with can be looked at over time in terms of their own stats with and without Suarez.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I do genuinely agree with what you've said there for the most part.

He is ahead of Carroll mentally - he's about quick one-twos etc. Carroll tends to be a bit of a sledgehammer on the other hand.

At the same time I do think you've missed my point somewhat - I was saying Suarez has been poor with regard to being a team player - the opportunities yesterday where he could have passed, he didn't - maybe he would have done so in an Ajax jersey, maybe he didn't pass because he didn't see Carroll (which I really doubt!) or maybe he just doesn't trust his other strikers to score.

Whatever it was, he took the wrong option and he's done so countless times this season, to the detriment of the team.

You're definitely right about Luis making space for a foil to exploit, and you're right we don't have that atm - but when he has the ball and the option to pass or shoot he's going to shoot even if there's players in better positions and it's something that he desperately needs to cut out of his game imo

I got what you were saying about how you thought that maybe he was not doing well with regards being a team player, but my arguement is that when he has sub par players around him that going on his own is probably the best option in his mind rather than haviong to look for a stiker that does not seem to have any football brains at all and who is generally lingering outside the 18 yard box.

Put a quality player in with other quality players and there is a good chance he will excel. But put a quality player in with average to poor players and he risks being dragged down to their level more than them being brought up to his. That for me is what I think is happening to Suarez in relation to our other attacking players. One top class attacker and sub standard attacking players (for the most part) around him in terms of ability and certainly in terms of game intelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

PaulieC wrote: »
    At the same time I do think you've missed my point somewhat - I was saying Suarez has been poor with regard to being a team player - the opportunities yesterday where he could have passed, he didn't - maybe he would have done so in an Ajax jersey, maybe he didn't pass because he didn't see Carroll (which I really doubt!) or maybe he just doesn't trust his other strikers to score
    I do think that there's a case to be made that Suarez is trying to do too much by himself. This is more a reflection of the quality of his teammates however then himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I got what you were saying about how you thought that maybe he was not doing well with regards being a team player, but my arguement is that when he has sub par players around him that going on his own is probably the best option in his mind rather than haviong to look for a stiker that does not seem to have any football brains at all and who is generally lingering outside the 18 yard box.

Any other day of the week I'd agree with that point - but going by the match I watched yesterday it's sounding like a cop out tbh Kess - while at the same time I feel bad for continually singling out one passage of play to make my point (I know there were more instances) - but he was on the end line, two unmarked strikers less than ten yards out and he went for goal - you mentioned earlier about players giving up the ghost and not putting it in for the club yesterday - Suarez is just as guilty for what he did time and time again yesterday - he put himself ahead of the team and if Kenny didn't love him so much he'd give him a bollicking I'd hope!

Put a quality player in with other quality players and there is a good chance he will excel. But put a quality player in with average to poor players and he risks being dragged down to their level more than them being brought up to his. That for me is what I think is happening to Suarez in relation to our other attacking players. One top class attacker and sub standard attacking players (for the most part) around him in terms of ability and certainly in terms of game intelligence

Agreed - he's not bettering himself atm, we need better players around him, but this has been said so much that the cows have come home and ****ed off again.

Bring on the end of the season basically :(

Straight red for Suso.

Very very soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We did need a plan B though. We were attacking and attacking and nothing was working. All the attacks started to get predictable and there was nothing changing on the score front in our favour.

A change of formation might have done the trick. Maybe putting Kuyt up front instead of Carroll and bringing Bellamy on so that there was an attacking quartet of Suarez, Maxi, Bellamy, and Kuyt in place.

Missing the sitters we missed wasn't down to our plan not working and there's little evidence that a plan b would have resulted in us not missing other sitters.
    It wasn't that we were unlucky or "had a bad day", we're **** at scoring goals. There was nobody in the team that started yesterday that can be relied upon to score.
    As for our turnover making it impossible for us to become a mid table club? Three years we have been a midtable club ( anything from 6th to 15th is midtable imho) now. There are other clubs who laboured in that zone for a long time who can point to nice turnovers as well. Spurs are a very well run club and have been for quite some time. Did not stop them from hanging around that midtable area alot. Newcastle are a club that takes in quite a bit of cash. Did not stop them from being like a yo-yo in terms of divisions let alone staying a mid table club in the top division.

There are only 2 clubs that can compete with us turn-over wise (and another 2 with the money cheat). We're not Spurs or Newcastle. They don't have shirt and kit sponsors anywhere near what we do. They don't have the worldwide fanbase that we do.
    Newcastle went down through spectacularly bad management. I don't think FSG are as bad as Ashley.
    I also don't think Kenny is a bad enough manager to keep us sittin in mid table.
    I think we've seen enough in our style of play that we can be a very good team. We just failed to get a goalscorer last year.
    No I don't think our turnover will be enough to stop us becoming a club that stays midtable more often than not. If the player, manager, tactics and attitudes are not right then turnover is not going to put points on the board for us.Something has to give this summer (and I fcuking hate that every summer we have to talk about something needing to give or how X amount of players are needed) in a big way, otherwise we will be looking at 4 seasons in a row scrapping to finish as high as we can in the midtable race rather than any realistic chance of being in the top 4 shake up copme the final month or two of the season.

We're disproportionately bad at scoring. Really really bad.
    I think people are sometimes over-complicating things.
    All the tiny little faults they pick are a case of bias. Do you think other managers don't make mistakes? Do you think other teams don't have off days or games where they don't try enough?

Any fault is legitimate to bring up but I think sometimes, when doing that, some on here can't see the wood for the trees and vastly overestimate what effect the more minor problems (like carrying Henderson or Spearing not being "good enough") have on us when contrasted to the big one of lacking a deadicated goalscorer (or perhaps 3 competent ones like suarez).
    Those kinds of problem are the kinds of ones I'd want a manager challenging for the league to be ironing out.

You see the likes of Guardiola working in those kinds of margins. If they win 5-1 he's not saying "yay, we scored 5", he's saying "what the ****, we conceded."

We've had that problem from the start and I don't believe, having made a mistake, Kenny has been given the chance to rectify it, as I believe he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

how the hell is that a red card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

ASOT wrote: »
    how the hell is that a red card?

Peter Beardsley even telling the Ref that it was a terrible decision.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

opr wrote: »
    Peter Beardsley even telling the Ref that it was a terrible decision.

Opr

That off the ball challenge just there was more deserving of a red....

The ref was a fcuking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Blatter wrote: »
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Roy-Hodgson-reveals-Luis-Suarez-was-already-a-target-when-he-was-manager-article822677.html

And tbf I would believe that because you were linked with him heavily enough for a while before Kenny got the job.
    Nope.

We'd looked at him (like most clubs in Europe) & I'm pretty sure Rafa asked Kenny to go & look at him while Rafa was still at the helm, but we'd never made a move.

Right........... but you are still attributing the relative success of the Suarez signing to Kenny... fair enough...

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

amiable wrote: »
    Rumours that Xavi Valero is to return

Noise that we have also ‏spoken to Eduardo Macia regarding a potential return. Head scout in the Rafa days. Hhmmmmmm . . . .

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Noise that we have also ‏spoken to Eduardo Macia regarding a potential return. Head scout in the Rafa days. Hhmmmmmm . . . .

Opr

where are you hearing this OPR may I ask?

Not sure i'd be happy with that, Macia scouted alot of rubbish we signed aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

My theory just got a shot in the other arm :p

Jayob10 wrote: »
    where are you hearing this OPR may I ask?

Not sure i'd be happy with that, Macia scouted alot of rubbish we signed aswell.

Just silly twitter stuff. I doubt he personally scouted them all :P I think something like ten scouts were let go with him when Comolli came in. I wouldn't feel anything either way as I know very little about him so making any kind of judgement would seem silly.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Leiva wrote: »
    My theory just got a shot in the other arm :p

Easy tiger

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Missing the sitters we missed wasn't down to our plan not working and there's little evidence that a plan b would have resulted in us not missing other sitters.
    It wasn't that we were unlucky or "had a bad day", we're **** at scoring goals. There was nobody in the team that started yesterday that can be relied upon to score.

There are only 2 clubs that can compete with us turn-over wise (and another 2 with the money cheat). We're not Spurs or Newcastle. They don't have shirt and kit sponsors anywhere near what we do. They don't have the worldwide fanbase that we do.
    Newcastle went down through spectacularly bad management. I don't think FSG are as bad as Ashley.
    I also don't think Kenny is a bad enough manager to keep us sittin in mid table.
    I think we've seen enough in our style of play that we can be a very good team. We just failed to get a goalscorer last year.

We're disproportionately bad at scoring. Really really bad.
    I think people are sometimes over-complicating things.
    All the tiny little faults they pick are a case of bias. Do you think other managers don't make mistakes? Do you think other teams don't have off days or games where they don't try enough?

Any fault is legitimate to bring up but I think sometimes, when doing that, some on here can't see the wood for the trees and vastly overestimate what effect the more minor problems (like carrying Henderson or Spearing not being "good enough") have on us when contrasted to the big one of lacking a deadicated goalscorer (or perhaps 3 competent ones like suarez).
    Those kinds of problem are the kinds of ones I'd want a manager challenging for the league to be ironing out.

You see the likes of Guardiola working in those kinds of margins. If they win 5-1 he's not saying "yay, we scored 5", he's saying "what the ****, we conceded."

We've had that problem from the start and I don't believe, having made a mistake, Kenny has been given the chance to rectify it, as I believe he can.

You speak a lot of sense there, but to say that our problems are tiny ones or ones that are easily fixed over simplifies it for me.

Games like yesterday happen, and sure they could happen to some teams two or three times a year, but for Liverpool they have become a pretty consistent thing all season and there seems to be no real focus on formation or tactics to try and solve the problem. We just seem to be lining up and trying the same thing week in week out and since the new year more often than not it has failed to work.

We have no B plan in midfield. We keep trying to set the midfield up as if Lucas was still there. We keep trying to fit players in that simply cannot do that job.

We have no B plan up front when Carroll starts. It is pretty basic stuff and our results show that it has no cutting edge at all.

Our wing play is brutal, and has no cutting edge at all.

The worst thing about our play is that it is so one paced all the time.

It is easy to say that a few new players will fix it and that a new striker solves it or a new winger or a new midfielder fixes it, but what did we buy in the 2011 windows?

We spent £35m on Carroll, £22m on Suarez, £20m on Downing and between £16m - £20m on Henderson. Fast forward to the 2012 summer window and we still need a first team striker. We still need a first team winger. We still need a firt team midfielder, and we have the likes of Maxi, Kuyt, Carragher, Gerrard, and Bellamy all in positions where they will only be good for a smaller number of games per season or in the case of one or two of them, need shipping out.

This season showed us a few things.

One was that we spent an awful lot of money on players who are not good enough. Some of them may not be good enough yet, and some may not be good enough full stop. But for the season that is almost done they were not good enough.

It also showed us that we had only one quality CM at the club, and for good measure that point was hammered home when we lost that midfielder for the season.

We have been shown that tactically our manager has been found wanting. What we do not know is whether or not he was on a bit of a steep learning curve after his time away from active management. If it was indeed a case that he was adapting to active management again and he has learned from it, then that leaning curve may serve him and the club well next season if he is still manager.

But when the problems at the club potentially include the manager, the tactics and a fair chunk of the first team, then it becomes more than a series of tiny problems and starts to look like a big potential problem.

If more than one of the big signings from the 2011 windows had worked out on the pitch more often than not, then a different picture might get painted, but they have not.

Can the owners afford to allow a similar amount of club money to be spent again this summer?

I think a better question might be can they afford not to spend the money needed to bring in genuine quality this summer?

I think the answer is that they cannot afford to spend what it takes to bring in real quality. Maybe the only real question is who do the owners think is the right man to decide on who those quality players are.

Right........... but you are still attributing the relative success of the Suarez signing to Kenny... fair enough...

Of course I am. He signed him :confused:

We'd also looked at Carroll & Downing prior to this summer too. Are you suggesting Kenny shouldn't receive any criticism for their signings as a result of that? Surely if you are stating he doesn't deserve to be have the success of signing Suarez attributed to him, it should hold true for other signings too?

We'd signed Bellamy previously-so is there no credit deserving for that?
    I'd bet my left nut Rafa had looked at Enrique a bit too. No credit due their either? Probably looked at Henderson too at some stage (most big clubs in England had).

I think your logic is a little ridiculous tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You speak a lot of sense there, but to say that our problems are tiny ones or ones that are easily fixed over simplifies it for me.

Games like yesterday happen, and sure they could happen to some teams two or three times a year, but for Liverpool they have become a pretty consistent thing all season and there seems to be no real focus on formation or tactics to try and solve the problem. We just seem to be lining up and trying the same thing week in week out and since the new year more often than not it has failed to work.

We have no B plan in midfield. We keep trying to set the midfield up as if Lucas was still there. We keep trying to fit players in that simply cannot do that job.

We have no B plan up front when Carroll starts. It is pretty basic stuff and our results show that it has no cutting edge at all.

Our wing play is brutal, and has no cutting edge at all.

The worst thing about our play is that it is so one paced all the time.

It is easy to say that a few new players will fix it and that a new striker solves it or a new winger or a new midfielder fixes it, but what did we buy in the 2011 windows?

We spent £35m on Carroll, £22m on Suarez, £20m on Downing and between £16m - £20m on Henderson. Fast forward to the 2012 summer window and we still need a first team striker. We still need a first team winger. We still need a firt team midfielder, and we have the likes of Maxi, Kuyt, Carragher, Gerrard, and Bellamy all in positions where they will only be good for a smaller number of games per season or in the case of one or two of them, need shipping out.

This season showed us a few things.

One was that we spent an awful lot of money on players who are not good enough. Some of them may not be good enough yet, and some may not be good enough full stop. But for the season that is almost done they were not good enough.

It also showed us that we had only one quality CM at the club, and for good measure that point was hammered home when we lost that midfielder for the season.

We have been shown that tactically our manager has been found wanting. What we do not know is whether or not he was on a bit of a steep learning curve after his time away from active management. If it was indeed a case that he was adapting to active management again and he has learned from it, then that leaning curve may serve him and the club well next season if he is still manager.

But when the problems at the club potentially include the manager, the tactics and a fair chunk of the first team, then it becomes more than a series of tiny problems and starts to look like a big potential problem.

If more than one of the big signings from the 2011 windows had worked out on the pitch more often than not, then a different picture might get painted, but they have not.

Can the owners afford to allow a similar amount of club money to be spent again this summer?

I think a better question might be can they afford not to spend the money needed to bring in genuine quality this summer?

I think the answer is that they cannot afford to spend what it takes to bring in real quality. Maybe the only real question is who do the owners think is the right man to decide on who those quality players are.

Yeah fair enough.
    I just don't think Kenny could've done much more. We have tried dropping Carroll at times and going for 5 in midfield and that hasn't worked either.
    Ultimately I don't think there could've been a significant difference made with the squad assembled.

We'll just have to see. If the owners are happy that Commolli was the problem then I think they'll keep Kenny.
    It's possible that the only reason they're keeping Kenny is because of the cup run.
    Ultimately, I don't have a problem with Kenny being replaced (so long as it's a good replacement). I'm just not actively seeking it.

If FSG decide that Kenny was sufficiently blameless for the cluster**** last summer and stick with him i'll be happy with that too.

I suppose the small upside on the ludicrous spending front is that although we didn't get to where we need to, I think we're still better off than last season.
    There was alot of low-hanging fruit dumped. There's still a few who're coming to the end of their carreers (maxi, kuyt, Carra) or not good enough (downing, adam) that should be removed but apart from that I think we've got a decent squad. Any new manager comes in wouldn't need to go ape**** changing everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Of course I am. He signed him :confused:

We'd also looked at Carroll & Downing prior to this summer too. Are you suggesting Kenny shouldn't receive any criticism for their signings as a result of that? Surely if you are stating he doesn't deserve to be have the success of signing Suarez attributed to him, it should hold true for other signings too?

We'd signed Bellamy previously-so is there no credit deserving for that?
    I'd bet my left nut Rafa had looked at Enrique a bit too. No credit due their either? Probably looked at Henderson too at some stage (most big clubs in England had).

I think your logic is a little ridiculous tbh.

the propaganda machine will be in full flow soon enough, fans well be spoon fed the conclusive argument that Comolli/Hodgson privately targetted anyone crap, and Kenny/Rafa had sounded out anyone who transpired to be half decent

Some things never change

Getting Charlie Adams back will be like a new signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Getting Charlie Adams back will be like a new signing.

Unfortunately it will be like we signed Charlie Adam all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Unfortunately it will be like we signed Charlie Adam all over again

It's like a reoccurring nightmare!

the propaganda machine will be in full flow soon enough, fans well be spoon fed the conclusive argument that Comolli/Hodgson privately targetted anyone crap, and Kenny/Rafa had sounded out anyone who transpired to be half decent

Some things never change

You do realise that is the exact opposite of what is happening, right? :confused:

You do realise that is the exact opposite of what is happening, right? :confused:

They are Kenny's signings though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i still don't see what the problem was with The Hodge saying he watched Suarez play.

which is how this all started.

Since when has he been called the Hodge? Sounds like the kind of idiot nickname that the man himself would probably give to himself.

Most clueless Liverpool manager of all time works better for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

i take it you are referring to Roy claiming he watched Suarez. Personally, I don't see it as him taking credit for signing him. It's perfectly feasible he did indeed have him watched.

I stand by my comments. In the past Rafa for instance has had his hands washed of some flops, through passage of time it becamse unproven fact that Robbie Keane apparently wasn't Rafa's man when it all went tits up. Should he have succeeded no doubt we would have praised Rafa for signing him.

It seems for some (Rafa and Kenny) it can only be win-win in the fans eyes. And for some others (Comolli and Roy) they have no business taking credit for anything positive.

It has always been this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan does have a fairly binary view of Liverpool fc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mike65 wrote: »
    Mr Alan does have a fairly binary view of Liverpool fc.

So do I , 0-1 or 0-0

011001100111010101100011011010 11001000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think we should try out this formation in the coming weeks.

binary.jpg

They are Kenny's signings though?

Yea, of course.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    i still don't see what the problem was with The Hodge saying he watched Suarez play.

which is how this all started.

Actually it started with someone seeming to imply Kenny deserved no credit for the Suarez signing as we'd looked at him previously. I was just pointing out how stupid that logic was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Anyone else shed a slight tear watching Arbeloa do a job against Barcelona in the Nou Camp on Saturday? Losing both him and Xabi in the one summer, wow. :(

yup and for pittance... :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Where were the boo boys when we were £350 million in debt....?nowere because we were running good in the PL.They are a superficial bunch of selfish cnuts.You need to look deeper into things,sometimes things are ok on the face but rotten inside.Then other times they are ok on the inside and look rotten from the outside.

We are 2 weeks form a cup final,get behind the team The Liverpool way and in the summer we will look back at things when the time is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Dub13 wrote: »
    Where were the boo boys when we were £350 million in debt....?nowere because we were running good in the PL.They are a superficial bunch of selfish cnuts.You need to look deeper into things,sometimes things are ok on the face but rotten inside.Then other times they are ok on the inside and look rotten from the outside.

We are 2 weeks form a cup final,get behind the team The Liverpool way and in the summer we will look back at things when the time is right.

All nice in theory, but thats football. Where are the boo boys at Barcelona, at United, with their debts. Maybe we're all a superficial bunch of selfish cnuts, i just want to be a superficial selfish cnut supporting my team challenging for a Champions League spot. And yes, i'm right behind our team for the final, but i'll definitely be looking back at the season afterwards, and it won't be pretty in hindsight. The league is our bread and butter, always will be.

If I ever read 'The Liverpool way' again it will be far too soon, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Since when has he been called the Hodge? Sounds like the kind of idiot nickname that the man himself would probably give to himself.

Most clueless Liverpool manager of all time works better for him.

I heard he prefers ''Hodgie Baby''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dub13 wrote: »

icon14.gif

I think some people have genuinely forgotten that we came within a whisker of ceasing to exist just over 18 months ago...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

icon14.gif

I think some people have genuinely forgotten that we came within a whisker of ceasing to exist just over 18 months ago...

Sure things were grand we were second in the PL,I had that shouted at me back in the early days of the movement to get H & G out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

icon14.gif

Not everyone thinks that was anyway realistic either though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement