Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player for Android?

• 02-07-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to get RTE Player working for Android. I just bought the HTC Desire and really wanna watch the World Cup on Live Player, but I can't find any apps for it.

Of course if there's another way to watch the WC on Android please let me know.

Thanks!!

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to get RTE Player working for Android. I just bought the HTC Desire and really wanna watch the World Cup on Live Player, but I can't find any apps for it.

Of course if there's another way to watch the WC on Android please let me know.

Thanks!!

Joe
    From my bare understanding of what I have read here, RTE player is a flash based system and whatever standard this is isnt supported in 2.1.
    There was a screen shot a few threads done of someone watching RTE Player but I believe he was using a rooted 2.2 FroYo operating system.
    I havent done much more looking into this but my understanding is that if you want Android 2.2 you have to wait for HTC to release it for the Desire or root you phone and install a version from elsewhere on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

really wanna watch the World Cup on Live Player, but I can't find any apps for it.

You should be alright so as the real world cup.isn't till next year in New Zealand
    :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Yes, the RTE player uses Flash, so unless you have a stock Nexus One and have updated to Froyo and installed Flash 10.1 from the Market, or have some other way to get Flash through rooting your phone, you're out of luck with the RTE Player.

It works great on my Nexus One by the way :D

There may be other ways to watch - try the UStream client maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 godmother

Has anyone got any idea how to download the RTE TV player app on android?Have the new S3 phone and still cannot download it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

There is no android app yet. You have to use a web browser called Boat browser, get a copy of the last Flash player apk and twiddle with Boat's settings (I cant remember them off the top of my head but you should have enpough info there to google it) It works even with Android v4.2.1 but it crashes a lot and seeking doesnt work very well. After lots of hassle I'm just going to wait for RTE to release an official app even if the few comedies I want to watch will probably be gone off it by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

filmon.com for live viewing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The filmon app doesn't have Rte though.
    You don't need to use boat browser. Most browsers should work but not chrome. I use Firefox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Just use the normal phone browser and go to rte player site and it should work. Worked on my sensation XE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    The filmon app doesn't have Rte though.
    You don't need to use boat browser. Most browsers should work but not chrome. I use Firefox.

Oops, sorry, my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Boat browser was the only one that worked on my Nexus 7 using Android 4.2.1 and an apk of the last available flashplayer (I tried Firefox, Chrome and Dolphin beforehand). Perhaps Firefox works on other devices though.

Adobe stopped supporting Flash from Android 4.1 onwards so unless the Galaxy S3 is on anolder version then it wont work without the awkward workaround.

Hopefully RTE will release an android app soon as the iPad version doesnt rely on Flashplayer either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Boat browser was the only one that worked on my Nexus 7 using Android 4.2.1 and an apk of the last available flashplayer (I tried Firefox, Chrome and Dolphin beforehand). Perhaps Firefox works on other devices though.

Adobe stopped supporting Flash from Android 4.1 onwards so unless the Galaxy S3 is on anolder version then it wont work without the awkward workaround.

Hopefully RTE will release an android app soon as the iPad version doesnt rely on Flashplayer either

Yep I have just got the nexus 7 and what I reckon I will probably end up doing is rooting and putting the android aosp browser on it.

Then by putting an archived version of flash on should do the job.

I already have the aosp browser on the galaxy note 2 and it does the job immensely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

thomasj wrote: »
    Yep I have just got the nexus 7 and what I reckon I will probably end up doing is rooting and putting the android aosp browser on it.

Then by putting an archived version of flash on should do the job.

I already have the aosp browser on the galaxy note 2 and it does the job immensely

Just got NOte 2 what is AOSP browser as was trying to watch RTE player same issue as above.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/android/11.1.115.34/install_flash_player_ics.apk
    Luckycharm wrote: »

Just got NOte 2 what is AOSP browser as was trying to watch RTE player same issue as above.

Actually forget my last mail, download flash from the link above then install it and open use in the default browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

thomasj wrote: »
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/android/11.1.115.34/install_flash_player_ics.apk

Actually forget my last mail, download flash from the link above then install it and open use in the default browser
    That link didn't work from my mobile the full list is here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html, search the page for android 2.x for older devices. Downloading as I tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

KAGY wrote: »
    That link didn't work from my mobile the full list is here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html, search the page for android 2.x for older devices. Downloading as I tap.
    Rte.ie/playerxl/ is better for touch screen, working fine for me on HTC desire original. With cyanogenmod

KAGY wrote: »

Sorry that link should work for 4.0 onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Works fine for me with Firefox on Nexus 7 with 4.2.1 and adobe flash 11.1.111.5 apk.

No joy with Chrome or Dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 o2bearebel

Thought I might share this info on this thread. I was in touch with Tom Grealis, Director of Production & Operations RTE, before Christmas about RTE player availability on android.

He stated that "We are currently in the process of developing an Android-optimised version of RTÉ Player and we are hoping to release that early in 2013."

Let's hope android users don't have much longer to wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Jeez, fair play to them. Top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

o2bearebel wrote: »
    Thought I might share this info on this thread. I was in touch with Tom Grealis, Director of Production & Operations RTE, before Christmas about RTE player availability on android.

He stated that "We are currently in the process of developing an Android-optimised version of RTÉ Player and we are hoping to release that early in 2013."

Let's hope android users don't have much longer to wait!

You sure he said Android and not mobile device, which usually means Apple first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PogMoThoin wrote: »

they already have one for iphone

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Yes, my query was specific to android player. Still no sign of it though. Just sent another email enquiry to info@rte.ie regards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

Hopefully won't have to wait too long now:

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_RTE_ie/status/311578294246047746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its funny, cause TG4 have an excellent app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Its funny, cause TG4 have an excellent app
    I emailed RTE a few weeks ago but I got no reply :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

By the way that whole thing about no flash over 4.1 is just supported, it works fine you just have to find the APK yourself, as they don't want to be seen endorsing it. and AOSP browser works best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    By the way that whole thing about no flash over 4.1 is just supported, it works fine you just have to find the APK yourself, as they don't want to be seen endorsing it. and AOSP browser works best :)
    What is APK and AOSP please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

IrishHomer wrote: »
    What is APK and AOSP please?
    The APK is android package, it's used to OK install apps. So even though flash isn't in the market you can download this (like an MSI or exe on the computer) and it will install, so flash isn't going anywhere.

AOSP is the android open scource project and incorperates stock android (like nexus) and some apps that come with stock, like the browser, calculator, camera etc. Therefore this is the browser simply called browser, ie. Not chrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I got the RTE Player, TV3 Player, TG4 and live streams of them all on XBMC.

Works a treat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I got the RTE Player, TV3 Player, TG4 and live streams of them all on XBMC.

Works a treat :)

I heard about this but still haven't been able to work out how to do it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

jonski wrote: »
    I heard about this but still haven't been able to work out how to do it .

It is not difficult but not intuitive. There is a couple of very educational videos on YouTube. Definitely worth the time spent investivating as it is an amazing media centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

o2bearebel wrote: »

Its been available for over two weeks now but RTE seem to have posted that a bit late...

I only heard it was available this morning. Not sure how I missed it!

Seems like RTE still have another few pages that need updating... http://www.rte.ie/extra/player.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Only just noticed on RTE.ie just now - out two weeks you say. RTE are afraid to tell us about it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
Advertisement