Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to buy a ball

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

where is the best place for me to buy a ball ??online or in ireland :D

im looking for a 14lb ball , i throw right handed and would like a reactive ball, the ball i have wont hook as much as i want and i dont want to take weight out of it as i like it for spares etc

my shot would be generally between the second and third arrow from the right hard and hook in but my current ball wont allow this

any ideas on which type ball i would want ? oil lanes would be medium/heavy mostly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Online will cost you in terms of delivery charges. If you really want to buy online then I can personally recommend Petes pros shop., the website looks crap but I've been to the shop and have bought online from them.

I still recommend buying in Ireland and as such then Superdome in Dublin is good or ALSAA bowl either.

I know you said you land the ball between two and three there do you stand on the approach? Far left or centre or right?

Also the hook on the ball depends vey much on a number of factors. First is the depth of oil on the lane, second is how clean the back ends are and third (perhaps the most important) is how the ball is drilled.

I bought a Brunswick inferno reactive urethane, renowned for its hard hook and I had it drilled by a guy in Norwich who was recommended to me by bowlers in my local. I told him I wanted To keep the aggressive hook but he totally messed up the drill. It fits my hand but he took the a lot of the hook away from it :mad:

If you want good ball recommendations try the Hammer forums, some of the US pro bowlers post there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Online will cost you in terms of delivery charges. If you really want to buy online then I can personally recommend Petes pros shop., the website looks crap but I've been to the shop and have bought online from them.

I still recommend buying in Ireland and as such then Superdome in Dublin is good or ALSAA bowl either.

I know you said you land the ball between two and three there do you stand on the approach? Far left or centre or right?

Also the hook on the ball depends vey much on a number of factors. First is the depth of oil on the lane, second is how clean the back ends are and third (perhaps the most important) is how the ball is drilled.

I bought a Brunswick inferno reactive urethane, renowned for its hard hook and I had it drilled by a guy in Norwich who was recommended to me by bowlers in my local. I told him I wanted To keep the aggressive hook but he totally messed up the drill. It fits my hand but he took the a lot of the hook away from it :mad:

If you want good ball recommendations try the Hammer forums, some of the US pro bowlers post there. ;)

its hard to explain in writing but ill try ha i stand far left second marking in and throw out to the 2/3 arrow and on my last ball that i had but lost :( it used fly down the right side and hook in perfectly not always a strike but i found my scores a lot better
    i have been trying to replace that ball since with no joy my new ball wont hook in that much but i still like it for spares etc so dont want to mess with it and get it to hook as i will have to buy a spare ball then

i can find out the exact lane pattern over the weekend as im close friends with the mechanic in the centre but its definitely well kept the back ends are very clean on the lanes we use they tend to keep them free as often as possible and leave the kids etc on the higher lanes

im not too clued up on the terminology but the ball seemed to be drilled slighty to the right of centre and had an extra hole which i presume is for hook about an inch from the centre of the ball towards the bottom right if ya get me

im thinking i want a hammer brick or a mutant cell ball after looking online and im going to up to 15lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd suggest talking to whoever runs the proshop in your local alley.
    Alot of the time you can pick up decent ones 2nd hand cheap enough, from when other people buy new and leave behind their old one rather than trying to sell it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Anywhere in cork? Ever time I go bowling I always find the balls to be a bit on the heavy side and my thumb will not fit in anything under size 12. So was thinking of getting my own ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ters a guy in Leisureplex Cork that who may be able to help you. His names escapes me at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bingo92

your local pro shop in the local bowl alley if not then give Fran a ring @ frans pro shop you can find it on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

popsy09 wrote: »
    its hard to explain in writing but ill try ha i stand far left second marking in and throw out to the 2/3 arrow and on my last ball that i had but lost :( it used fly down the right side and hook in perfectly not always a strike but i found my scores a lot better
    i have been trying to replace that ball since with no joy my new ball wont hook in that much but i still like it for spares etc so dont want to mess with it and get it to hook as i will have to buy a spare ball then

Your lane approach sounds exactly like mine!

What was your last ball? I'd be willing to bet it was polyurethane rather than reactive urethane :) The best bowling ball I ever had was the Ebonite Turbo, which is still available to buy, undrilled, if you look hard enough.

I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of extra drill holes to alter weight axes as to my mind it compensates for perfect style and alters the ball characteristics completely, making it difficult to adjust to a new ball. Consistency is key to increasing score and hitting the pocket right each time...something I have yet to achieve!

I also think that a spare ball is a vital part of any armament. In the US, PBA bowlers have up to 18 bowling balls in their arsenal, mainly because PBA oil patterns can be complex and in lane practice the bowler will whittle down their choice to a strike and spare ball but this just serves to highlight that even the best bowlers in the world use a strike and spare ball (although not in all situations).

As a rule, for a league bowler I think a spare ball doesn't have to be urethane or reactive urethane, a polyester ball is fine as it goes dead straight when you need it to (no flare or hook potential) :)

I've said it before but the hammer bowling forums are great and some of the PBA pros post there from time to time.

Advertisement