Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a .ie domian

Options
  • 03-05-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Should I buy a .ie domian if i can't get the .com even if I'm only aiming the website at the irish public.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Why would you even bother with a .com if it's only for Irish users?

... anyway, yes, get a .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Get both. Point both to the website. People automatically look for a .com

OU812 wrote: »
    People automatically look for a .com

I don't. I go to Google.

In the case of a small site I'd never done business with before, I'd also be more comfortable dealing with an Irish site that used a .ie, than I would with one that used a .com - It might be just me, but I find the added layer of 'security' (the paper trail involved in getting a .ie) whether imaginary or not, more assuring, than the free-for-all of .com ownership.

... that's not to say there aren't hundreds of other ways of establishing trust with a site visitor, besides the domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

ok then... "*most* people automatically look for a .com" For the minute cost of .com, it's absolutely worth buying & redirecting or masking. It could also bring in further business down the line or stop a competitor from grabbing it.

OU812 wrote: »
    ok then... "*most* people automatically look for a .com" For the minute cost of .com, it's absolutely worth buying & redirecting or masking. It could also bring in further business down the line or stop a competitor from grabbing it.

Absolutely, if it's available, buy it - OP said it wasn't available though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭teddyboy

cormee wrote: »
    Absolutely, if it's available, buy it - OP said it wasn't available though.

well said it not so bought the irish one very expensive. Hope it will be worth it as its not a e shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KeaneMachine87

If in doubt you could buy a .ie and redirect to the .com. Easy enough to do...

If in doubt you could buy a .ie and redirect to the .com. Easy enough to do...

From an SEO pov, because the market is Irish, it would be best to do it the other way round. Point the .com at the .ie.

Advertisement