Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

opr wrote: »
    I've no problems with a new man coming in as long as that person deserves the job. Some of the names being mentioned over Rafa are ludicrous.

Seriously? Too political? Rafa shone a spotlight on the ***** we had owning the club? The fact he got so politically involved is something we should be forever grateful to him for, not using it as a stick to beat him!

I know it's not like he also won Champions leagues and league titles or anything.

Kenny was critised for the other extreme. They're big boys getting paid huge amounts of money, excuse me if I don't cry at night thinking about how Rafa should have been more warm towards them. Ferguson has fallen out with countless players down through the years but it seems you only cry when you're losing! He has made mistakes but plenty of past players remain good friends with him and talk about him in glowing terms.

I prefer to look for signs in corn fields myself. What's this rubbish? Torres ran through a few brick walls for him in his time.

Talking about people painting things in a certain light you seem content to twist facts to paint things how you see them.

The figures you use are completely disingenuous as has been pointed out. The last line in your post that Rafa was asked the question why didn't he sign Jovetic first but he just said nothing, find me that interview?

This is the interview I read:

When it was pointed out that the sale of Alonso should have been sufficient to pay for both Aquilani and Jovetic, his response was illuminating: “You are right. In theory”.

Are you saying he is responsible for newspaper links? He controlled the media in order to make Liverpool fans realise how lucky they were to have him as manager? Some of your post comes across as completely bat**** crazy!

I heard Rafa employed Darren Brown, had hypnotic powers and dabbled in the dark arts!

We loved him because he worked tirelessly for the club, did so much good within the city, brought world class players to the club, gave us success on the field, nights that will forever live in my memory, respected and loved the fans, completely overhauled an out dated youth system and all while fighting a huge internal battle with those ***** who ran the club.

Rafa was concerned not only with our present but our future. He is a very rare breed in the modern game of managers many of whom seem more concerned with how what they will achieve will affect their CV rather than building a club and having a lasting impact on the future of that club. Rafa was trying to build a lasting empire!

Opr

clap.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Seems Tompkins has has enough

Serves him right for thinking Twitter is an appropriate place for sane, evidence-based commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

cant believe rafa needs any defending to another lfc fan,really cant, i can take other fans of other teams slagging/slating him..but our own fans !!

gobsmacks me each and every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tom Ince just scored in the playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Super-Rush wrote: »

Neat finish. Playing well .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rafa Rafael
    Rafa Rafael
    Rafa Rafael
    Rafael Benitez.

Robbie Robert
    Robbie Robert
    Robbie Robert
    Roberto Martinez

It's not quite the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We're being linked with Nolito, any fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

No, he's not near good enough. Wouldn't like to see him here

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Linked before. Would be a pointless signing as he's not very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The Benfica winger? Average enough player imo. Wouldn't be high on my wish list this summer though. 11 goals this season in the Primeira Liga is impressive for a winger, but there are better options out there. A lot better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why did we release him? I saw him in the semi-final playoff and he was carrying Blackpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He wanted the first team football.

Why did we release him? I saw him in the semi-final playoff and he was carrying Blackpool.

We didn't release him. We offered him a contract, but he wanted first team action so signed for Blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

G.K. wrote: »
    He wanted the first team football.
    Could have given him another loan spell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia I'm on twitter, Hope your all having a great day and looking forward to the Champions League Final later. And hello to all Liverpool fans!

Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia
    To mark my first day on twitter I'm going to let one of my followers be in for a chance of winning this! Just RT! :)http://pic.twitter.com/nQPJ7ScY

Dont know yet if its him or a spoof. Time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Leiva wrote: »
    That's the spirit !

C'mon lads some positive energy will rub off for Rafa's return :P

I remember losing my voice to that before the 4-4 draw with Arsenal. I see you that song and raise you a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

opr wrote: »
    I've no problems with a new man coming in as long as that person deserves the job. Some of the names being mentioned over Rafa are ludicrous.

Seriously? Too political? Rafa shone a spotlight on the ***** we had owning the club? The fact he got so politically involved is something we should be forever grateful to him for, not using it as a stick to beat him!

I know it's not like he also won Champions leagues and league titles or anything.

Kenny was critised for the other extreme. They're big boys getting paid huge amounts of money, excuse me if I don't cry at night thinking about how Rafa should have been more warm towards them. Ferguson has fallen out with countless players down through the years but it seems you only cry when you're losing! He has made mistakes but plenty of past players remain good friends with him and talk about him in glowing terms.

I prefer to look for signs in corn fields myself. What's this rubbish? Torres ran through a few brick walls for him in his time.

Talking about people painting things in a certain light you seem content to twist facts to paint things how you see them.

The figures you use are completely disingenuous as has been pointed out. The last line in your post that Rafa was asked the question why didn't he sign Jovetic first but he just said nothing, find me that interview?

This is the interview I read:

When it was pointed out that the sale of Alonso should have been sufficient to pay for both Aquilani and Jovetic, his response was illuminating: “You are right. In theory”.

Are you saying he is responsible for newspaper links? He controlled the media in order to make Liverpool fans realise how lucky they were to have him as manager? Some of your post comes across as completely bat**** crazy!

I heard Rafa employed Darren Brown, had hypnotic powers and dabbled in the dark arts!

We loved him because he worked tirelessly for the club, did so much good within the city, brought world class players to the club, gave us success on the field, nights that will forever live in my memory, respected and loved the fans, completely overhauled an out dated youth system and all while fighting a huge internal battle with those ***** who ran the club.

Rafa was concerned not only with our present but our future. He is a very rare breed in the modern game of managers many of whom seem more concerned with how what they will achieve will affect their CV rather than building a club and having a lasting impact on the future of that club. Rafa was trying to build a lasting empire!

Opr

OPR you are a very good poster, but I am always uncomfortable getting into debate with those who are incapable of seeing any faults in Rafa Benitez. Like the RAWK crowd, its quite clear you think the sun shines out of his backside and take it as a personal insult when his abilities are questioned.

Its safe to say we have extremely differing opinions on the man today.

I will say this though. Rafa has shown himself to be very political, long before H+G appeared on the scene. He saw Wenger and Ferguson take total control of their football clubs on 99% of levels and he wanted some of that, before he had earned it in my book.

He is a top class COACH. But all of nonsense of politicking took away from his prowess. Rafa of 2004 was a hungry football coach, wanting to make inroads into a new league.
    Lets not forget he had rows at Valencia aswell, and true to form its always someone elses fault when things don't go to plan.

To say newspapers were solely responsible for links to other clubs is also disingenuous, you as an experienced follower of the game know the work of agents, and Rafa's agent was always a very busy man. And his business was not independent of what Rafa would have wanted. thinking any other way is just an exercise in painting Rafa in the best light possible.

Personally, I am able to judge the man in an objective manner. What he did for the city of Liverpool is of bugger all interest to me. Thats a side issue. It has zero effect on the football side of things so there really is no need to raise it here. It may make the home town fans respect the man alot more but personally I could not give a toss if i'm honest. I'll judge him on his success in a footballing sense.

You say you don't feel sorry for highly paid footballers if they felt they should have been treated better? The job of a football manager is to get the very best out of his squad. You will find different characters who respond to different approaches. This is simple psychology. Rafa is a man who employs a one size fits all approach, hence the most creative of players will never flourish in the long term. They will simply tire of his ideas.

Mourinho is a similar type of manager who has a short albeit successful shelf life at clubs. The intensity and methodology over a short space of time is almost impossible to sustain before players get burnt out with the ideas and a large degree of player turnover is needed in order to start the process again. And of course Mourinho is never there for the second phase. He has moved on to repeat his 2-3 year project with a new group.

Mourinho however is able to embrace creative players. He trusts creative players and allows them to express themselves albeit within a rigid system. You mention Torres, but he as been one of the only top class attackers we have signed.

Some think its not necessary for a player to love his manager or even just like him. But simply failing to understand that all players are different and need to be handled differently, is a major flaw in itself. Rafa treated his players the same, they were all dispensable, but in his own head he himself was indispensable. The manager was the one who made it happen, rather than the players.

The best managers create a culture where creativity can flourish within a system that has defensive solidity and good balance. Rafa always spoke about "balance" but for only one season we trully showed this balance he spoke about and that was the only season we challenged for the title in 20+ years. THE ONLY SEASON WE CHALLENGED FOR THE TITLE.

All of the above is based on football. Its not based on charity work, or Rafa declaring his undying love for Liverpool the city, or his love of our support. I am capable of putting all of that to one side and making an honest critique of him OBJECTIVELY.

I have highlighted the fact I think he has a definite stroke of genius in terms of being a tactician but he has definite flaws. To be a great manager you need to be all things to men, and Rafa definately has not got this ability.

Rafa of 2012 is damaged goods i'm afraid, but with the disclaimer that such damage goods is probably still streets above the ability of Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thrill wrote: »
    Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia I'm on twitter, Hope your all having a great day and looking forward to the Champions League Final later. And hello to all Liverpool fans!

Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia
    To mark my first day on twitter I'm going to let one of my followers be in for a chance of winning this! Just RT! :)http://pic.twitter.com/nQPJ7ScY

Dont know yet if its him or a spoof. Time will tell.

That tweet seems to be gone now.
    Here's what you could have won...

What was it?

That tweet seems to be gone now.
    Here's what you could have won...

What was it?

A signed Liverpool shirt, its still there

• Advertisement

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport Barclays Premier League fixtures released in just 30 days with West Ham, Reading and Southampton all included.

First game?

I'm going for home against Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

City, away.

When did we last start with a home fixture? I know Rafa always started away from home

Melion wrote: »
    A signed Liverpool shirt, its still there

The page with the picture is missing for me and his twitter has two tweets, I assume one is in Finnish and the other in English.

The page with the picture is missing for me and his twitter has two tweets, I assume one is in Finnish and the other in English.

Yeah. They were both in English originally though. Shirt competition taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Found this on the .tv forums, very good read and to be honest if it is martinez coming in i'll be fully behind him

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/16/wigan-stay-up-after-a-switch-to-3-4-3/

NOT SURE WHY BUT SOME WORDS ARE LINKS, DON'T CLICK THEM!
    Wigan stay up after a switch to 3-4-3
    May 16, 2012

The surprise package in the second half of Premier League season was the only side who switched to a back three on a permanent basis.

Background

It seems odd to trace Roberto Martinez’s successful experiment with a three-man defence back to an eight-goal defeat, but that’s where we’re going to start. On the final day of the 2009/10 season, Wigan travelled to Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea needed a win to make sure of the Premier League title. Chelsea won 8-0.

But that didn’t quite tell the story of the match. For the first half hour, Wigan actually dominated. They played an unusual 3-3-1-3ish formation, with Martinez taking the opportunity to experiment at a stage when Wigan had nothing to play for. They conceded an early goal, a slightly fortunate Nicolas Anelka strike following a set-piece – but from then on they were the better side for a good 20-minute spell. Chelsea, who were relentless and powerful at that point – but actually lacking in shape and discipline – found it very difficult to cope with the fact Wigan were playing three players in very wide positions with the ball, and by stretching the play as wide as possible, Wigan dominated possession.

What went wrong? Well, Wigan went down to ten men. Gary Caldwell was sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, and Wigan could no longer play with their brave starting formation. The entire point of them playing that match was no longer there, and they ended up losing the second half 6-0 with a ramshackle formation and a half-hearted attitude.

An interesting feature of Martinez’s post-match press conferences is his insistence on looking at a short, 10-15 minute spell when Wigan were the better side – even if it was at the end of a heavy defeat – and taking positives from it. That probably won’t be possible if Martinez moves to a bigger club, as the latest sports betting odds indicate is quite likely. At one stage this season, his confidence that these spells could be replicated over the course of 90 minutes bordered on the insane, considering his side was playing terribly for the majority of games. But this tendency to look beyond the result and see patterns of play in a set period of time is very interesting, especially when looking back at this fine first half performance (with eleven players) in an eight-goal thrashing.

Return to three at the back

Martinez returned to the three-man defence on the 11th February this year, for the home game with Bolton. Before that, Wigan had picked up 16 points from 24 games. From then, they won 27 points from 14 games. The turnaround was extraordinary, and while Wigan have made late comebacks something of a habit, their formation clearly played a crucial part in this season’s turnaround.

Here are Martinez’s thoughts on the 3-4-3:

“When you play a 4-3-3, you rely a lot on the full-backs to get high up the pitch. You shouldn’t look at a system as away to win a football match, it is the players that play the system. Maynor [Figueroa], Gary [Caldwell] and Antolin [Alcaraz] have been so solid with a back three, and it allows [other] players to be high up the pitch, like the wing-backs. They aren’t full-backs that need to get deep and then forward to give us an extra man, they are in positions where they can do both a little bit better, and we can be a little bit more solid.

“The difference is the width that we get…before, we had to compromise a little bit, when you want to be very attack-minded, the full-backs have to push on, so you leave two players at the back. Now you’re still pushing the wing-backs on, but you’ve still got three players at the back, plus probably a midfielder. In the West Brom game, as Paul Scharner will tell you, we were attacking with seven, eight, nine players and they were surprised it, and that’s what the system gives you, without being weak at the back.

“It suits our players. When you’ve got a Jean Beausejour who is a specialist in that position, you take advantage of that. The back three gives you that. Then there’s the energy we’ve got in midfield, players who can play between lines like Shaun Maloney and Jordi Gomez. It’s so difficult to play against…there’s a few clubs playing it around Europe now, Napoli are one: they play it with Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi…this is the advantage of this system – it goes where the danger is…it’s not in defensive lines, it’s not working as a unit of four, it’s not man-marking.”

Back three characteristics

The most interesting part of the formation is, naturally, the back three. Other Premier League sides have experimented with a back three, but generally only in one-off games, and often for defensive reasons.

Martinez has been more committed to the shape, and it’s been interesting how ‘logical’ the statistics of his three centre-backs have been – Antolin Alcaraz, the right-sided centre-back, and the left-sided Maynor Figueroa, play as the ‘proactive’ defenders, happy to track a man, and willing to come up into midfield to make an interception. Gary Caldwell, who plays in the centre of the three, is effectively the spare man and does the dirty work in the penalty box.

Defensive version

The interesting thing about the shape is that Martinez has made it work in two very different guises. There is the extremely defensive, counter-attacking shape (that is effectively more like 5-4-1, with the wide players dropping back a line), that Wigan played in the 2-1 win at Arsenal. That’s not unnatural – at the last World Cup, for example, we saw the usefulness of a three/five-man defence for minnows against stronger sides – if you’re going to sit deep in your own third of the pitch and not compete in an open game, the ‘formation battle’ isn’t so crucial. Instead, if you’re focusing on getting men behind the ball, you may as well employ an extra centre-back to deal with aerial balls into the box.

In the Arsenal game, Wigan sat very deep in front of their own penalty area. They had a 3 v 1 against Robin van Persie, and one of the centre-backs, usually Figueroa, would follow him into deep positions. Caldwell would shuffle across, Wigan would defend with a 2 v 0, with no Arsenal player looking to make a run into Figueroa’s space. The wing-backs became permanent full-backs and picked up the Arsenal wingers, while the wingers dropped back and tracked the Arsenal full-backs.

The interesting player was Victor Moses – although he generally stayed goalside of Bacary Sagna, he sprinted past the Frenchman as soon as possession was won, always providing the out-ball and launching Wigan breaks. The only ‘problem’ for Wigan was in the midfield, where they had a 2 v 3, but since they weren’t looking to have possession, this wasn’t a huge problem. James McArthur and James McCarthy picked up Arsenal’s two more attacking midfielders, while Franco Di Santo dropped back to become an extra midfielder, pressuring Alex Song.

Attacking version

Against Newcastle it was more attacking. Newcastle were playing a 4-3-3 shape, so Wigan only had 3 v 3 at the back. Faced with either playing 5 v 3 with the wing-backs dropping deep, or 3 v 3 with them pushing on, they went for the brave option. With Alan Pardew’s side looking to play quite a reactive game and letting Wigan have the ball, Martinez instructed his wing-backs to get forward and create 2 v 1 situations with the wingers down the flanks – Newcastle were caught understaffed at the back, conceding two goals in the opening 15 minutes.

The most interesting feature of the play, and a small example that sums up the benefit of the 3-4-3 shape, was that Newcastle didn’t know how to press the 3-4-3 with their 4-3-3. The problem was this – Ali Al-Habsi would look to play the ball out to his three centre-backs, so Wigan could get the ball down and play. Newcastle wanted to stop them building from the back, so Hatem Ben Arfa and Demba Ba in the wide positions looked to close down Wigan’s ‘outside’ centre-backs. But this then left the Wigan wing-backs free, and Al-Habsi could knock balls out to the flank, where the wing-backs would then move forward to create those 2 v 1 situations. If the Newcastle full-backs came out to the Wigan wing-backs, then the Wigan wingers would be free.

Newcastle’s spare man was in the centre of midfield, and they could have been cleverer with how the three shifted across the pitch to close down the Wigan wing-backs, but they still would have been vulnerable to quick balls out to the flanks anyway. In the end, Pardew decided the only way Newcastle could press Wigan (at 2-0 down, and needing the ball) was to switch to a 3-4-3 himself. Newcastle hadn’t played that way before, and haven’t played that way since. Martinez had forced the overachievers of the season to play in an alien way, and that in itself was a victory.

"Flexibility

Martinez has also shown great ability to vary the shape within games, able to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. Emmerson Boyce can play right-wing-back or right-back, Maynor Figueroa can play left-centre-back or left-wing-back, Jean Beausejour can play left-wing-back or left midfield. “At Anfield we played the two separate systems,” says Martinez. “And no-one would have been able to see the difference [in terms of standard of play].”

When asked if he thinks a sweeper should always play behind two other centre-backs in a back three, Martinez says, “If you play against a front two, you can do that. But if you play against a one and a one, then the sweeper plays in front, because obviously you can’t be three-versus-one at the back.”

Individuals have played their part. Moses’ rise into a top-level player has been crucial, Figueroa’s passing ability means he’s almost been like an extra midfielder when needed, and the signing of Jean Beausejour is one of the underrated transfer decisions of the season. He’s a natural crosser, knows this (rough) system well having been a wing-back in Marcelo Bielsa’s Chile side, and has provided more assists than any other Wigan played despite only joining in January.

But the key has been the system, and the manager who implemented it. Amongst more in-depth tactical analysis of the 3-4-3, there’s a lot to be said for simply ‘doing something different’ if you’re a weaker side in a league – give the opposition a new challenge, make them uncomfortable and ideally make them change, as Newcastle were forced to.

“In a year’s time, there will be a lot of teams playing a 3-4-3, believe me,” Martinez says. “And we’ll have to be able to change, to adapt to it. And that is why it’s so important that players are flexible tactically.”

• Advertisement

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Found this on the .tv forums, very good read and to be honest if it is martinez coming in i'll be fully behind him

Wigan stay up after a switch to 3-4-3
    May 16, 2012

The surprise package in the second half of Premier League season was the only side who switched to a back three on a permanent basis.

Background

It seems odd to trace Roberto Martinez’s successful experiment with a three-man defence back to an eight-goal defeat, but that’s where we’re going to start. On the final day of the 2009/10 season, Wigan travelled to Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea needed a win to make sure of the Premier League title. Chelsea won 8-0.

But that didn’t quite tell the story of the match. For the first half hour, Wigan actually dominated. They played an unusual 3-3-1-3ish formation, with Martinez taking the opportunity to experiment at a stage when Wigan had nothing to play for. They conceded an early goal, a slightly fortunate Nicolas Anelka strike following a set-piece – but from then on they were the better side for a good 20-minute spell. Chelsea, who were relentless and powerful at that point – but actually lacking in shape and discipline – found it very difficult to cope with the fact Wigan were playing three players in very wide positions with the ball, and by stretching the play as wide as possible, Wigan dominated possession.

What went wrong? Well, Wigan went down to ten men. Gary Caldwell was sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, and Wigan could no longer play with their brave starting formation. The entire point of them playing that match was no longer there, and they ended up losing the second half 6-0 with a ramshackle formation and a half-hearted attitude.

An interesting feature of Martinez’s post-match press conferences is his insistence on looking at a short, 10-15 minute spell when Wigan were the better side – even if it was at the end of a heavy defeat – and taking positives from it. That probably won’t be possible if Martinez moves to a bigger club, as the latest sports betting odds indicate is quite likely. At one stage this season, his confidence that these spells could be replicated over the course of 90 minutes bordered on the insane, considering his side was playing terribly for the majority of games. But this tendency to look beyond the result and see patterns of play in a set period of time is very interesting, especially when looking back at this fine first half performance (with eleven players) in an eight-goal thrashing.

Return to three at the back

Martinez returned to the three-man defence on the 11th February this year, for the home game with Bolton. Before that, Wigan had picked up 16 points from 24 games. From then, they won 27 points from 14 games. The turnaround was extraordinary, and while Wigan have made late comebacks something of a habit, their formation clearly played a crucial part in this season’s turnaround.

Here are Martinez’s thoughts on the 3-4-3:

“When you play a 4-3-3, you rely a lot on the full-backs to get high up the pitch. You shouldn’t look at a system as away to win a football match, it is the players that play the system. Maynor [Figueroa], Gary [Caldwell] and Antolin [Alcaraz] have been so solid with a back three, and it allows [other] players to be high up the pitch, like the wing-backs. They aren’t full-backs that need to get deep and then forward to give us an extra man, they are in positions where they can do both a little bit better, and we can be a little bit more solid.

“The difference is the width that we get…before, we had to compromise a little bit, when you want to be very attack-minded, the full-backs have to push on, so you leave two players at the back. Now you’re still pushing the wing-backs on, but you’ve still got three players at the back, plus probably a midfielder. In the West Brom game, as Paul Scharner will tell you, we were attacking with seven, eight, nine players and they were surprised it, and that’s what the system gives you, without being weak at the back.

“It suits our players. When you’ve got a Jean Beausejour who is a specialist in that position, you take advantage of that. The back three gives you that. Then there’s the energy we’ve got in midfield, players who can play between lines like Shaun Maloney and Jordi Gomez. It’s so difficult to play against…there’s a few clubs playing it around Europe now, Napoli are one: they play it with Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi…this is the advantage of this system – it goes where the danger is…it’s not in defensive lines, it’s not working as a unit of four, it’s not man-marking.”

Back three characteristics

The most interesting part of the formation is, naturally, the back three. Other Premier League sides have experimented with a back three, but generally only in one-off games, and often for defensive reasons.

Martinez has been more committed to the shape, and it’s been interesting how ‘logical’ the statistics of his three centre-backs have been – Antolin Alcaraz, the right-sided centre-back, and the left-sided Maynor Figueroa, play as the ‘proactive’ defenders, happy to track a man, and willing to come up into midfield to make an interception. Gary Caldwell, who plays in the centre of the three, is effectively the spare man and does the dirty work in the penalty box.

Defensive version

The interesting thing about the shape is that Martinez has made it work in two very different guises. There is the extremely defensive, counter-attacking shape (that is effectively more like 5-4-1, with the wide players dropping back a line), that Wigan played in the 2-1 win at Arsenal. That’s not unnatural – at the last World Cup, for example, we saw the usefulness of a three/five-man defence for minnows against stronger sides – if you’re going to sit deep in your own third of the pitch and not compete in an open game, the ‘formation battle’ isn’t so crucial. Instead, if you’re focusing on getting men behind the ball, you may as well employ an extra centre-back to deal with aerial balls into the box.

In the Arsenal game, Wigan sat very deep in front of their own penalty area. They had a 3 v 1 against Robin van Persie, and one of the centre-backs, usually Figueroa, would follow him into deep positions. Caldwell would shuffle across, Wigan would defend with a 2 v 0, with no Arsenal player looking to make a run into Figueroa’s space. The wing-backs became permanent full-backs and picked up the Arsenal wingers, while the wingers dropped back and tracked the Arsenal full-backs.

The interesting player was Victor Moses – although he generally stayed goalside of Bacary Sagna, he sprinted past the Frenchman as soon as possession was won, always providing the out-ball and launching Wigan breaks. The only ‘problem’ for Wigan was in the midfield, where they had a 2 v 3, but since they weren’t looking to have possession, this wasn’t a huge problem. James McArthur and James McCarthy picked up Arsenal’s two more attacking midfielders, while Franco Di Santo dropped back to become an extra midfielder, pressuring Alex Song.

Attacking version

Against Newcastle it was more attacking. Newcastle were playing a 4-3-3 shape, so Wigan only had 3 v 3 at the back. Faced with either playing 5 v 3 with the wing-backs dropping deep, or 3 v 3 with them pushing on, they went for the brave option. With Alan Pardew’s side looking to play quite a reactive game and letting Wigan have the ball, Martinez instructed his wing-backs to get forward and create 2 v 1 situations with the wingers down the flanks – Newcastle were caught understaffed at the back, conceding two goals in the opening 15 minutes.

The most interesting feature of the play, and a small example that sums up the benefit of the 3-4-3 shape, was that Newcastle didn’t know how to press the 3-4-3 with their 4-3-3. The problem was this – Ali Al-Habsi would look to play the ball out to his three centre-backs, so Wigan could get the ball down and play. Newcastle wanted to stop them building from the back, so Hatem Ben Arfa and Demba Ba in the wide positions looked to close down Wigan’s ‘outside’ centre-backs. But this then left the Wigan wing-backs free, and Al-Habsi could knock balls out to the flank, where the wing-backs would then move forward to create those 2 v 1 situations. If the Newcastle full-backs came out to the Wigan wing-backs, then the Wigan wingers would be free.

Newcastle’s spare man was in the centre of midfield, and they could have been cleverer with how the three shifted across the pitch to close down the Wigan wing-backs, but they still would have been vulnerable to quick balls out to the flanks anyway. In the end, Pardew decided the only way Newcastle could press Wigan (at 2-0 down, and needing the ball) was to switch to a 3-4-3 himself. Newcastle hadn’t played that way before, and haven’t played that way since. Martinez had forced the overachievers of the season to play in an alien way, and that in itself was a victory.

"Flexibility

Martinez has also shown great ability to vary the shape within games, able to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. Emmerson Boyce can play right-wing-back or right-back, Maynor Figueroa can play left-centre-back or left-wing-back, Jean Beausejour can play left-wing-back or left midfield. “At Anfield we played the two separate systems,” says Martinez. “And no-one would have been able to see the difference [in terms of standard of play].”

When asked if he thinks a sweeper should always play behind two other centre-backs in a back three, Martinez says, “If you play against a front two, you can do that. But if you play against a one and a one, then the sweeper plays in front, because obviously you can’t be three-versus-one at the back.”

Individuals have played their part. Moses’ rise into a top-level player has been crucial, Figueroa’s passing ability means he’s almost been like an extra midfielder when needed, and the signing of Jean Beausejour is one of the underrated transfer decisions of the season. He’s a natural crosser, knows this (rough) system well having been a wing-back in Marcelo Bielsa’s Chile side, and has provided more assists than any other Wigan played despite only joining in January.

But the key has been the system, and the manager who implemented it. Amongst more in-depth tactical analysis of the 3-4-3, there’s a lot to be said for simply ‘doing something different’ if you’re a weaker side in a league – give the opposition a new challenge, make them uncomfortable and ideally make them change, as Newcastle were forced to.

“In a year’s time, there will be a lot of teams playing a 3-4-3, believe me,” Martinez says. “And we’ll have to be able to change, to adapt to it. And that is why it’s so important that players are flexible tactically.”

Great read, very interesting.

I hope they credited Zonal Marking there.

Great read, very interesting.

Completely changed my thinking about him. I think it would be a very astute appointment. I'm a massive rafa fan and to a certain extent I would love him back but theres a part of me that things we need something fresh

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whoever comes in, almost every fan will back them and the team to the hilt, but that doesn't mean we approve of some of the possible or even probable names being bandied about. I like Roberto Martinez from what I know of him, but I'm not excited about the prospect of him managing Liverpool. Unless he gets himself off side with the fans like Hodgson did early on several occasions, he will not get turned against like loads of opposition fans think would happen, just because they either ignore the reasons why Hodgson was unpopular, or didn't care.

If it is Martinez, I hope everyone including me is eating their words comes May 2013, but I would think it's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When did we last start with a home fixture? I know Rafa always started away from home

Last season, home to Sunderland...1-1.

What does it matter though?

• Advertisement

@Fourth_Official: Wanted Blackpool to go up, but heard from a little birdie that Everton will go after Ince if they lose, good news for toffees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tonight's CL final, I don't want Chelsea to win but wouldn't it be better if they did as potential LFC rival Spurs won't qualify and gain all the money for future investment?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Tonight's CL final, I don't want Chelsea to win but wouldn't it be better if they did as potential LFC rival Spurs won't qualify and gain all the money for future investment?

I think Spurs would struggle to keep Bale,Modric and VDV if they don't get champions league

Yea, cheering for Chelsea for this reason, feels a little empty, I'd rather be rooting for the Germans!

My exact position ^^

But I really don't want to watch Terry lift the Cup :mad:

Also watching Torres and Raul lift it won't sit comfortably either, kinda vindicates their move away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

How the hell can you ignore a champions league win especially in the manner it was won

I didnt ignore it.

The conversation was being had in 2 parts really. Some people seem to think Rafa took over a worse team. Imo, only a fkin muppet would think a team that qualified for the CL is worse than team that was a handful of points off relegation.

Load of bull tbh. If Kenny finished 5th and 3 points off 4th then he'd still be in a job.

Well we will have to wait and see what these owners will do if they have a manager and team in the CL who fails to qualify for it through the league the next season.

No, because you are still in the CL the following year.

No, we did not qualify for the CL. Uefa changed the rules for us to play the following year........(and i dont think you grasped the disclaimer of ignoring cup runs above).

daithijjj wrote: »
    No, we did not qualify for the CL. Uefa changed the rules for us to play the following year........(and i dont think you grasped the disclaimer of ignoring cup runs above).

It doesn't matter - Kenny was sacked for not making the CL the following season. Rafa did so, even if UEFA changed the rules for it to happen. So no, he wouldn't have got the sack.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    So making a comparison and having an opinion is disingenuous, and disregarding Kenny's first half season back in charge and the money he spent isn't? Passing off finishing 5th (Rafa's first season) as being the same as finishing 8th (Kenny this season, again not his first) isn't? Passing off winning the Champions League as a 'cup run' that affected the league in an attempt to draw a comparison to last season under Kenny isn't?

For the record I do think there's a lot of revisionism on Rafa from people on both extremes, and I do think it was a bit harsh to sack Kenny after 16 months, but you might want to think twice before throwing around words like 'disingenuous' at people for comparing something like two squads and asserting an opinion when you've just belittled one of the club's greatest ever managers and one of it's most memorable achievements in an attempt to back up a point that you then claim you're 'not trying to make'.

See 9887.

One man took over a team qualified for the CL, the other took over a squad hovering over relegation. Im sorry, but trying to make out the former was a worse team to the latter is 'muppetry'.

• Advertisement

In fairness Daithijjj while I agree with a lot of what you're saying, the squad that was hovering above relegation was miles better than where Hodgson had us in the league table

Yea, cheering for Chelsea for this reason, feels a little empty, I'd rather be rooting for the German's!

I can't stand the sight of Chelsea no way would I cheer for them. I'd rather keep Chelsea out if the champs league anyway, they have a lot of rebuilding to do and they might find it a bit harder without champs league football. Spurs wont stay up near the top long term regardless of champs league.

Type 'Liverpool manager' into google. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafael Benítez
    Liverpool F.C., Manager
    Hide details
    Kenny Dalglish Dismissed ... - nytimes.com
    ... former manager, Rafael Benitez; ...
    Is this accurate? Yes - No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

daithijjj wrote: »
    I didnt ignore it.

The conversation was being had in 2 parts really. Some people seem to think Rafa took over a worse team. Imo, only a fkin muppet would think a team that qualified for the CL is worse than team that was a handful of points off relegation.

I never said you did you stated that if one was to ignore it which of course is impossible and I realise your post was taking out of context.
    Your definitely one of the better posters in here ands it's very seldom I found myself disagreeing with you.

It doesn't matter - Kenny was sacked for not making the CL the following season. Rafa did so, even if UEFA changed the rules for it to happen. So no, he wouldn't have got the sack.

I dont believe its right to carry off a notion that Kenny somehow had a second season to turn it around.

Type 'Liverpool manager' into google. :pac:
    mike65 wrote: »
    Rafael Benítez
    Liverpool F.C., Manager
    Hide details
    Kenny Dalglish Dismissed ... - nytimes.com
    ... former manager, Rafael Benitez; ...
    Is this accurate? Yes - No

Lol :pac:

It's a secret poll by John_W

Make sure you vote "yes"

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness Daithijjj while I agree with a lot of what you're saying, the squad that was hovering above relegation was miles better than where Hodgson had us in the league table

Sure, i appreciate that of course and its difficult to have a debate like this when it goes off on tangents. My initial point though remains the same. Kenny and Rafa's first season in the league is identical in alot of ways. The point was, that cup runs affected league position, im not weighing up the value of cups against each other.

Look, if i was trying to be an eegit i could say something like Rafa was a lucky manager and Kenny's team hit the woodwork a pile of times and was unlucky, if only a small % of the woodwork shots went in Kenny would have finished 5th too, like Rafa. But im not trying to be an eegit over it. I think alot of folk dont quite grasp how badly neglected the club was for so long before Kenny took over and the actual size of the surgery that was needed and is still needed.

I agree that he should have got a second season.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Willymunly tonight. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement