Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    And how does the quietest part of the M8 compare with the M7 and M6 quiet sections and if its quieter then by you lodgic its a wast of money to have it.

My logic is that a very expensive, very long and seriously underused section of motorway should have been built as a more appropriate road.

And your defence is to pluck subsections of roads that have significantly higher traffic to use as comparisons.

If there's anyone who needs to work "logic" here, its you. Particularly as your opening argument was to try and exclude a very serious point - namely that Cork is a large city and Waterford, erm, isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

MYOB wrote: »
    Oh dear god. I'm not even going to go down that road if you think that's an acceptable way to avoid the entire crux of the argument.

The N9 needed no more than S2 south of Kilkenny. It'd have had to be offline for the most part due to how bad the old road was.

If the N11/N25/N30 had been upgraded, the N9 could have been left untouched.

That would have been ridiculous, leaving kilkenny carlow and waterford not to be connected to each other,

Mods, can we move this to the M9 thread as it is irrelevant to the N25 New Ross Bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

My logic is that a very expensive, very long and seriously underused section of motorway should have been built as a more appropriate road.

And your defence is to pluck subsections of roads that have significantly higher traffic to use as comparisons.

If there's anyone who needs to work "logic" here, its you. Particularly as your opening argument was to try and exclude a very serious point - namely that Cork is a large city and Waterford, erm, isn't.

yet you can justify underused sections of the M8, why were they not build as single carrageway and rejoin the motorway where it would be busy. How much more traffic does the section require for you to justify it mind you comapre other motorway levels to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

yet you can justify underused sections of the M8, why were they not build as single carrageway and rejoin the motorway where it would be busy.

There is a major difference between constructing a small section and an entire length of motorway, particularly when said small section is between two others vs. not.

If anyone has "some problem with the M9" as you accused, its you - you appear to be entirely unable to accept at all that its very lightly trafficked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I see no reasons why the N30 needs to be upgraded as you couldn't expect people from Waterford to travel to Dublin that way.

water under the bridge now, but originally (20 years or so ago) the plan was to by-pass the N11 to the west of Enniscorthy. The network in the SE corner would have looked something like what is below.

248680.png

• Advertisement

There is a major difference between constructing a small section and an entire length of motorway, particularly when said small section is between two others vs. not.

If anyone has "some problem with the M9" as you accused, its you - you appear to be entirely unable to accept at all that its very lightly trafficked.

Come back in 10 years and lets compare traffic volumes, i will hazzard a guess that the m9 between Waterford and Kilkenny will see more volume growth vis a vis lower trafficked sections of the M8 as it links 2 x population centres in close proximity to each other

Bards wrote: »
    Come back in 10 years and lets compare traffic volumes, i will hazzard a guess that the m9 between Waterford and Kilkenny will see more volume growth vis a vis lower trafficked sections of the M8 as it links 2 x population centres in close proximity to each other

I'll add this to my "to bounce" folder*, as I'm pretty sure this won't be the case. For any number of reasons.

*which contains nothing more than one of mysterious's rants about the Nenagh Bypass needing all its bridges replaced, which it didn't, but he was banned. Oh well.

I'll add this to my "to bounce" folder*, as I'm pretty sure this won't be the case. For any number of reasons.

*which contains nothing more than one of mysterious's rants about the Nenagh Bypass needing all its bridges replaced, which it didn't, but he was banned. Oh well.

Old N9 bewteen Wat and KK hindered natural commuting and transport use, which takes time for new commuting patterns to materialise once the improved limks are put in place.

I use the M9 a hell of a lot more than i would have the old N9 and would have put off trips to kilkenny which took about an hour heretofore, whereas that same trip can now be done in about 25 minutes

And thats only me, i am sure there are countless others who are the same.

MYOB

There is almost 30km section of the M8 that carries just above the level of the M9 betwen Kilkenny and Mullinavat which is around 25km long. Now figures for each motorways are 10% HGV's. Both figures are donw on 2012 which because of economic conditions. So that part of the M8 isn't needed and a complete wast of money like the M9 or is it not because Cork is at the end of it.

Old N9 bewteen Wat and KK hindered natural commuting and transport use, which takes time for new commuting patterns to materialise once the improved limks are put in place.

I use the M9 a hell of a lot more than i would have the old N9 and would have put off trips to kilkenny which took about an hour heretofore, whereas that same trip can now be done in about 25 minutes

And thats only me, i am sure there are countless others who are the same.

We'll see. The road's been open for long enough now, particularly with Danesfort to Waterford being open before the middle bit which isn't relevant to Waterford-Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

It was a catastrophic waste of money, that is all. There also seem to be people who jump out of nowhere to defend it and claim that its effectively the M50 through farmland at a moments notice.

In context of the vast sums of Bankster debt we have taken on "catastrophic" is a bit OTT! :D

We'll see. The road's been open for long enough now, particularly with Danesfort to Waterford being open before the middle bit which isn't relevant to Waterford-Kilkenny.

And waterford shed a few thousand jobs

MYOB

There is almost 30km section of the M8 that carries just above the level of the M9 betwen Kilkenny and Mullinavat which is around 25km long. Now figures for each motorways are 10% HGV's. Both figures are donw on 2012 which because of economic conditions. So that part of the M8 isn't needed and a complete wast of money like the M9 or is it not because Cork is at the end of it.

A lack of a further counter does not mean that you can bluntly apply a figure to an entire section.

Have you actually driven the two roads? Its blindingly obvious which one has significantly less traffic.

Do you have any actual reason for defending the M9, or are you just from there?

A lack of a further counter does not mean that you can bluntly apply a figure to an entire section.

Have you actually driven the two roads? Its blindingly obvious which one has significantly less traffic.

What has one location got to do with the debate, unless we are clutching at straws now

Yes of course the traffic counts are not right at all and are all made up. How often have you driven both sections of each motorway as you seem to be an expert on traffic data.

I use the M9 a little but I tend to use public transport more as its cheaper at this stage. Yes from Co. Waterford but it would probaly faster to drive clonmel and connect to the M8 at Cahir for me than going via Waterford.

What has one location got to do with the debate, unless we are clutching at straws now

Clutching at straws?? I think the person desperately trying to compare to a single (higher) counter on another road that has higher traffic throughout may be the one clutching at straws.
    Yes of course the traffic counts are not right at all and are all made up. How often have you driven both sections of each motorway as you seem to be an expert on traffic data.

I use the M9 a little but I tend to use public transport more as its cheaper at this stage.

You are selectively using (more like abusing, actually) the traffic counts to make inaccurate claims.

I have driven in the region of a quarter of a million km on the Irish motorway network. 45,000 mostly motorway km on my 9 month old vehicle outside, and its been a quiet year.

Then you post the expected traffic usage for the M9 when it was being built. Same for the M8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Hmmm. The title of this thread is the New Ross bypass.

But the posts seem to be about why the M9 should never have been built. :confused::confused:

Quickelles wrote: »
    Hmmm. The title of this thread is the New Ross bypass.

But the posts seem to be about why the M9 should never have been built. :confused::confused:

The OP may think the New Ross bypass shouldn't be built either as I expect usage will be more less as the M9 to Kilkenny from Waterford..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I get rather bored with serial 'M9 should never have been built' posters.

The real story is far more complicated than than and is frequently advanced by those who never drove the simply hideous Kilkenny - Waterford section. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

You are selectively using (more like abusing, actually) the traffic counts to make inaccurate claims.

MYOB I don't usually disagree with you, but I think you're being a tad unkind to jamie there.

The NRA AADTs put the M9 usage at Mullinavat for 2012 1,249 higher than the N9 at peak usage in 2007 and 1,993 higher than the last recorded usage.

They haven't published the figures for the N9 (R448) since 2010 but it's the only road I can recall where the traffic is higher on the new road than the one that is being replaced.

I know it's not exactly faair to compare a tolled road to a non tolled road, but it's only 700 vehicles behind the M6 tolled section - the "quietest" section of the M6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

I get rather bored with serial 'M9 should never have been built' posters.

Its true, the situation is more complex than it appears. The old road was comically awful, and an upgrade was badly needed. Moreover, any upgrade would have to be done offline. Due to the topography, any new road would also have been expensive regardless of type (due to the Civils costs - bridges, embankments etc), and so the difference between Wide S2 and D2M is probably not all that much.

But lets be clear, the business case for the M9 never stood up as it is presently built - it's a classic case of county jersey politics ("Galway/Limerick got a direct motorway link so we must get one too", regardless of whether its required or not, or whether it is the optimal way of providing necessary infrastructure). It got politically pressurised into place as a 'HQDC' (theres a story there too), and then got magicked into a Motorway when Martin Cullen took office. The NRA and the DoT were on the record from the 1998 Roads Needs Assessment that a Dual Carraigeway was required from Waterford to the N24 Junction, and Wide 2 lane from there to the then end of the M9 at Kilcullen (p62). The road will in all likelihood remain below the AADT required to justify a Motorway for a very long time. Great if you're a regular user of the road, not so great if you're a tax payer who has to cover the cost of over provision through income tax. That's why this is a valid topic for discussion, in the same way as the WRC is - parish pump political interference in infrastructure provision has lead to an over investment which we all have to pay for. After all, if we simply accept that this is the way things work, and congratulate the people of Waterford (and KK) on their lobbying prowess, we tacitly accept that way of doing things.

Also, when comparing counter numbers, it should be noted that part of the rationale for the M8 was that it would take traffic from the old N9 (via an upgraded N77). In the absence of the M9, the M8 would be busier. And no, you can't compare a section in the middle of a a 250km road between the two biggest cities in the State (the smaller of which is at least 4 times the size of Waterford in real terms), with a section of a much shorter and much less trafficed Motorway.

Good thread covering this from 2010;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055798620

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Driving a road makes nothing blindingly obvious. The traffic counters are all that matter. Please keep superficial personal observations out of it.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Its true, the situation is more complex than it appears. The old road was comically awful, and an upgrade was badly needed. Moreover, any upgrade would have to be done offline. Due to the topography, any new road would also have been expensive regardless of type (due to the Civils costs - bridges, embankments etc), and so the difference between Wide S2 and D2M is probably not all that much.

The big problem was the lack of an intermediate design standard which only came quite late in the day in the form of 2+2 . 2+2 would have been perfectly adequate on the southern sections of the M9 and most midland sections of most of the built Motorways eg West and South of Portlaoise and Athlone.

However 2+2 was not available as an NRA standard and as a design option until the designs were completed and through planning ( say around 2006)

IMO anything LESS than 2+2 would have been inadequate as a design as well so much of the M6 M7 M8 M9 and M11 should have been designed and built as Offline 2+2 . I accept that fully.

So should the bridge section of the New Ross Bypass and HO! and Belold it is being built as 2+2. So thats grand. :)
    But lets be clear, the business case for the M9 never stood up as it is presently built - it's a classic case of county jersey politics ("Galway/Limerick got a direct motorway link so we must get one too",

Agreed. The midlands sections of most of these motorways should have been designed and built as 2+2 and thats that. Many proposed 2+2 upgrades on lesser roads ( N21 N22 etc) should be an offline mix of 2+2 'overtaking sections' and S2 in between sections but at reasonably predictable intervals ....no more than 20km of S2 before a 5km minimum of 2+2 allows overtaking etc...that would be the N25 west of the waterford Bypass section or across Wexford meaning a small 2+2 retrofit in mid Wexford would suffice as an upgrade.

But I digress, build the bridge and let New Ross have some peace. :)

However 2+2 was not available as an NRA standard and as a design option until the designs were completed and through planning ( say around 2006)

Valid point. But I'm not sure its material. The NRA wanted and were pushing D2M for the M4/6/7/8 (I'm not suggesting that the delay with the standard was due to this AT ALL ...) and would have gone with that. Politically, this was always the preferred option also (from 2002 onwards). For most of the network thats left to be built 2+2 would be ideal, along with Wide S2. To be honest, the M20 is probably the most important project left outside of the pipeline, and there's a case for 2+2.

Agreed on New Ross though. Build it, close the gap. And hope that the changes in local government and the next NSS get some proper spatial planning going in the region.

For most of the network thats left to be built 2+2 would be ideal, along with Wide S2. To be honest, the M20 is probably the most important project left outside of the pipeline, and there's a case for 2+2.

Roads like the N5 in Mayo Roscommon , the N17 / N15 and the N21 and N22 should be developed as a mix of S2 and 2+2 in the main.

S2 can be upgraded to 2+2 anyway ( with extra land take) but 2+2 cannot be upgraded to Motorway, the alignment won't support Motorway speeds.

The case for the M20 is interesting but I am not sure how much you could save this way.

The M20 must be dual carriageway all the way but traffic levels from Mallow North to Croom South do not support Motorway as did not Gort - Ennis but that is built.

If building offline as one will the possibility is that one COULD save money by building a VERY straight 2+2 where the alignment allows an extra 2 lanes to be added in future and is of motorway straightness.

However one will not save a huge amount of money.

The sections near Limerick and Cork-Mallow (to N71 to north ) should be Motorway grade and designation, no doubt about that.

A key deliverable for an M/N20 would be getting Cork and Limerick city centres within 1 HOUR of each other. They are 100km apart. The motorway sections of 120kph are to cancel out the long city sections at 30kph so the ratio between 50kph and 120kph stretches should be minimum 1:3 with 3x Motorway for every 1km of 50kph as there are traffic lights there too.

I'd allow 1 hour a day when you could not deliver that at the very very peak of the rush hours on a wet schoolday evening in winter.

This may mean that more motorway and less Dualler is required in parts to allow higher speeds if desired. You would need 30km of Motorway to cancel out 10km of city type roads to match the delivery objective.

If you EG wanted to get the very northern fringe of Cork City to within 1 hour of Shannon Airport sure it would all have to be motorway wouldn't it.??? :D:D

Westport to Dublin is 250km, that should be doable in under 3 hours with a few key bypasses and constant 100kph running. Delivering a better result would cost too much but 3 hours should be the target there.

Routes like New Ross carry a lot of HGV traffic which cannot match those speeds of course and freight delivery deliverables are different, eg should Cork and Limerick be no more than 3 hours from Rosslare etc. The N24 is another road that NEED not be fully Motorway but where some motorway is required at each end.

Anyway that is my 2c on the subject ( again :p) Good luck to all in New Ross and Waterford and lets hope they finish the 10km missing link west of New Ross in this century. :)

But lets be clear, the business case for the M9 never stood up as it is presently built - it's a classic case of county jersey politics ("Galway/Limerick got a direct motorway link so we must get one too", regardless of whether its required or not, or whether it is the optimal way of providing necessary infrastructure). It got politically pressurised into place as a 'HQDC' (theres a story there too), and then got magicked into a Motorway when Martin Cullen took office.

I think you will find that some parts of the M7,6 and 8 were no suposed to be motorway either so drop that excuse. It was built standard of a motorway when it was suposed to be dual carrageway south of Carlow so why build a road thats fit to be a motorway and not use it as one.
    Agreed. The midlands sections of most of these motorways should have been designed and built as 2+2 and thats that. Many proposed 2+2 upgrades on lesser roads ( N21 N22 etc) should be an offline mix of 2+2 'overtaking sections' and S2 in between sections but at reasonably predictable intervals ....no more than 20km of S2 before a 5km minimum of 2+2 allows overtaking etc...that would be the N25 west of the waterford Bypass section or across Wexford meaning a small 2+2 retrofit in mid Wexford would suffice as an upgrade.

But I digress, build the bridge and let New Ross have some peace. smile.png

I theory that is correct but its not very good and the route could not be a motorway and can see why it wasn't done. everysection of a motorway will not be always busy. These were 2006/7 plans and remenber where the economy was. Car ownership was over 1.1 million (if I correct) and growing. Now its dropped a lot with 14% unemployed just how many families have drooped the second car and can't afford to travel etc.

I think you will find that some parts of the M7,6 and 8 were no suposed to be motorway either so drop that excuse

I'm not making excuses for anyone. This is a matter of historical record. The 1998 RNA recommeded that these roads be dual carriageway, later updated to M-way by the Government (following a minor digression with the IFA that cost the State a fortune). It recommended an entirely different solution for the N9, again, with a dual carriageway to KK town, and then on via the N77 to Portlaoise. This wasn't what was built. What was built cost a lot more money, which is my point.

Spongebob - I agree, there would be relatively little savings for putting some 2+2 into the M20, but unfortunately that's where we are now. Those small savings might be enough for another small project elsewhere. And anyways, why would you need to get to SNN from Cork in such a hurry? After all, there's a much busier airport with a much larger choice of routes in Cork ...

I'm not making excuses for anyone. This is a matter of historical record. The 1998 RNA recommeded that these roads be dual carriageway, later updated to M-way by the Government

HQDC to be precise. This is motorway spec dual carriageway. The only difference between HQDC and Motorway is whether a tractor or L driver can travel legally or not on it, in essence.

Good luck trying to spec a road that delivers Limerick people to Cork Airport in an hour flat absent a Cork NRR and a Dunkettle remodel too, just saying.! :D

2+2 could be called 'MQDC' (again of course in hindsight) being designed as it is for constant 100kph running not constant 130kph running like a motorway would be. :)

For lower volumes of traffic it delivers the predictability of HQDC but at lower speeds. However 2+2 'MQDC' only came into the design standard rather late in the day and too late to have any serious effect.

There is no way that anything less than a Motorway spec was justified north of Carlow Town. That would have been lunacy, not speccing to Motorway standard to the N10 Kilkenny split would have been grossly shortsighted and the only issue was how to design from the N10 to Waterford had such a design been available in the first place. It wasn't.

2+2 and S2 in sequence (Offline) should be used on most of the roads yet to be upgraded to modern standards. Some of the loonier greens like that Nix fella persist in describing 2+2 as Motorway which tends to addle simpler minds and frighten them.

2+2 is not Motorway and cannot become same by later designation, not being designed for those speeds at all and I means how are we expected to run our electric cars if not at constant speeds on long haul journeys. :D

• Advertisement

HQDC has a strange history here - the main reason so much of our Motorway system was built under this designation was due to the land purchase deal done with the IFA back in the day (which had a far higher cost for land assigned to Motorways, even after re-negotiation). It was built to the same standard as Motorway so that it could be re-designated once the law was changed. The M9 was ghosted into that category in the middle of all of that.

I wouldn't be so sure about the N9 between Kilcullen/Carlow. Yes, Castledermot was a pain, but from just north of the town onwards there had been a huge amount of money spent to bring the road to a very high standard, much of it on an entirely new alignment (the R448 now - a new road only open a few years was essentially bypassed by a Motorway - brilliant) - it was and is one of the better S2s in the country, complete with overpasses at Moone for example. If the N77 was improved to take WW and KK traffic out of Castledermot, this would have been perfectly acceptable.

Long story short though, while the M9 as built might be complete overkill, it's massively future proofed. Running repairs aside, there won't be major works required on that corridor for a very long time.

And I'm all for a Cork NRR and Dunkettle upgrade, and an N28 upgrade to 2+2 while we're at it ...

Advertisement