Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goverment in UCC

Options
  • 18-03-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey,does anyone know anything at all about goverment in ucc it sounds interesting!! i love business and english but i dont no if its the right course for me! :confused:

any advice at all wud be a great help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

I'm in first year Government and I actually really love it! A knowledge of Business will stand to you (I did Chem and Bio for the LC so I'm a bit iffy on the business modules :confused:) but you also gotta really love politics. Like REALLY love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

3 of my friends do it in second year- they hate it. I believe one of them used the words- " like four years of CSPE" when he described it. I don't think it has the best reputation when compared to law or commerce either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah if you're doing Government you better be into politics, like half of them run/are members of a political party!
    I'm doing Commerce and French and I'm the only one in a party,its depressing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm doing 1st Politics at the moment. As everyone's said, you'll have to really like it to be into it. It's not something you can just pick up, interest has to be there imo.
    I'm doing Commerce and French and I'm the only one in a party,its depressing

Only one in a party? How'd ya manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I'm in 3rd Government. I'd hugely recommend it if you have an interest in Politics. I did see a few in 1st year that joined without the initial interest and they either couldn't stand the pace and dropped out or worked hard enough that they ended up fostering an interest. I love it, but that said I've always been a politics junkie :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LB17:>

Thanks that was really helpful!! im totally torn between commerce and goverment :confused:
    is there much business in the goverment course or is it completely politics??? :eek:

thanks so much!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

LB17:> wrote: »
    Thanks that was really helpful!! im totally torn between commerce and goverment :confused:
    is there much business in the goverment course or is it completely politics??? :eek:

Try and think of it in terms of will you actually get a job from it in four years time. A lot of commerce guys I know ended up doing a postgrad/masters after they found their commerce qualification would only get them absolute entry level jobs.

Dont know anyone from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

LB17:> wrote: »

There is a good bit of business in Gov, just as there is a decent bit of politics in Commerce. They are both in the same overall faculty so they do a lot of the same stuff but with different emphasis. In Government the emphasis is on Politics, while in Commerce the emphasis is on Business, but there is a lot of cross-over.

What I will say is the Gov classes tend to be a good bit smaller in size. Regardless of what you choose, since they are both in the same faculty the option of an internal-transfer either from Gov into Commerce or vice-versa is generally pretty easy to do, especially in first year.

Only one in a party? How'd ya manage that?

Nah it wasn't the PD's! ;)

I think most Com people hav no interest in politics coz oh my god, it will get in the way of buying ugg boots and applying reams of fake tan *

* Only applies to straight Commerce, not International :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I think most Com people hav no interest in politics coz oh my god, it will get in the way of buying ugg boots and applying reams of fake tan *

* Only applies to straight Commerce, not International
    I'm pretty sure it's OK to use the word gay. No need to skirt the issue... Aren't you in comm international?!
    Not sure it's the obsession with Uggs thats stoppin 'em get into politics. Not everyone is into politics. Some people did it for the comm parts, not the gov parts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

* Only applies to straight Commerce, not International :pac:

I'm a commerce student with an interest in politics and dont wear fake tan and uggs. I think thats an unfair generalisation of commerce students, the guys dont wear uggs, not in public anyway!:P

deisedude wrote: »
    I'm a commerce student with an interest in politics and dont wear fake tan and uggs. I think thats an unfair generalisation of commerce students, the guys dont wear uggs, not in public anyway!:P

I retract my previous statement... ;)

deisedude wrote: »

Eh that's cos your name is deisedude? As in you're a dude? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Yeah if you're doing Government you better be into politics, like half of them run/are members of a political party!
    I'm doing Commerce and French and I'm the only one in a party,its depressing :o

What a load of cock. If a dozen people across the 4 years are in parties I'd be surprised; and that's coming from someone who's politically active, and in the course.

And you needn't be into politics per se, simply have an appreciation for the apparatus of governmental bodies. The course is certainly intensive, and time consuming, however all the modules are designed and intended to compliment each other so that you get a more comprehensive degree than other faculties.

This is not a course for the fair weather student and you would be advised to take the time to get reading lists in advance of September if you get in.

lee_arama wrote: »
    What a load of cock. If a dozen people across the 4 years are in parties I'd be surprised

Well I am also politically active and personally know 15 or so from Government in parties, and thats only in 2 years - considering I don't know every person in that course, I'd suggest you keep your 'cock' comments to yourself :rolleyes:

Hey ya I'm also thinking of doing Government in UCC in September.
    I do have an interest in politics and I love current affairs. However I have a feeling it would be very boring after a while and that all you'd get out of it would be administration type jobs in the civil service or with a political party.
    Any more information on it please??

Fecking Political Correctness. Just because i'm male i shouldnt wear fake tan and uggs. Is this the country our forefathers died for?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

He's lying about the 'deise' part, he could also be lying about the 'dude' part. And men can wear Uggs, don't be so sexist!!:P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/88776315/

Methinks there are around 30 people in BComm 2 doing a Gov module, more people are doing Maths, but perhaps some 'dude' could verify that for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

I'm considering this too, but how different is it to say, Politics in Arts? I'm very into politics, but not so much the civil service or business angle, but I also want a a degree that's valuable. I think the work placement might swing me to Government. Also, is this course good for postgrad qualifications in Politics? Thanks if anyone takes time to answer, the questions just piled up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

I'm considering this too, but how different is it to say, Politics in Arts? I'm very into politics, but not so much the civil service or business angle, but I also want a a degree that's valuable. I think the work placement might swing me to Government. Also, is this course good for postgrad qualifications in Politics? Thanks if anyone takes time to answer, the questions just piled up there.

Gov is different to Politics in Arts cause it has business modules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

To warn you if your thinking of doing politics through arts, the course is not great for a politics lover! Your basically given a list of history, government and philosophy modules to choose from.. Your diluted into other departments lectures and I found I forgot I was even doing politics! While intelectually very stimulating, not a very political course. And its even worse than normal gigantic arts classes for making friends cause your in with other departments so its always different people every term. Hope that helps!

fredmc wrote: »
    He's lying about the 'deise' part, he could also be lying about the 'dude' part. And men can wear Uggs, don't be so sexist!!:P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/88776315/

Methinks there are around 30 people in BComm 2 doing a Gov module, more people are doing Maths, but perhaps some 'dude' could verify that for me...

In fairness i'm like a mile from the border. I am a dude (Proceeds to look in trousers to verify). :D

Theres actually less than 30 straight Comms, prob bout 25. BComm Euros have to do european government though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeffTheJeff

To warn you if your thinking of doing politics through arts, the course is not great for a politics lover! Your basically given a list of history, government and philosophy modules to choose from.. Your diluted into other departments lectures and I found I forgot I was even doing politics! While intelectually very stimulating, not a very political course. And its even worse than normal gigantic arts classes for making friends cause your in with other departments so its always different people every term. Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's very helpful. I'm now gone off that route entirely. Looks like Government for me. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭1082229

Give an e-mail to the some staff person in the dept and you could call in to ask about it. They staff are lovely.

Advertisement