Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar panels

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi just a quick one, anyone out there use the Carey Glass solar tubes?

We had originally spec'd our house for an split east-west system, with 15 Kingspan tubes on each roof. But as the build had gotten underway we were able to orientate the angle of the house a bit so the west facing roof is now facing more towards the south - west direction.

The plan was then to put both panels(30 tubes)on the SW roof but there is the matter of a Velux window now being in the way of it, don't have the money or the time to get it moved as the external works are finished now. there is enough roof space for the Kingspans but the plumber is worried as there are specs as to how far it has to be in from the edge and ridge tile etc. Sticking to these we wont get them on.

Thats when i came across the Carey Glass Tubes.They are not as long as the Kingspan as they are thicker so we could fit both panels on no problem.

The one thing I am worried about is the fact that they use a mirror backing to reflect the light onto the back of the tube, that's how they get their efficiencies. fine when they are brand new but what about after 3-4 years of dust/grit and moss build up, is one expected to get up there on the roof and clean them or suffer the loss of efficiency??
    This is not an issue with the Kingspan as they only use the front of the tube etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DTMC78

Hi Nudedragon, you could look at the Kingspan Varisol option. This fits around the Velux window. They are single modular tubes, you can click the tubes together and then insert the spacers over your the top of your Velux window and continue on with the install.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

have you sized your system yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DTMC78

Braddun, haven't sized my system yet but I would normally go with 30 tubes for a 300ltr cylinder but as Nudedragon is west off south I slightly oversize the collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Nudedragon don't forget to maintain your tank. If you don't any savings you make will go when you have to replace your tank. That's what happened us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Derrigra

A couple of the bulbs are broken and need replacing, got a quote for over €500! Anyone in the Limerick area who services solar panels?

Advertisement