Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to hire a plumber experienced in stopping loud bangs in hot water cylinder

Options
  • 15-04-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone know someone? Landlady's plumber has been out 3 times and problem has only gotten worse. Please message me if you could recommend someone, am at my wit's end with the constant bangs and racket in the cylinder & surrounding pipes.

Comments

What type of hot water system is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

I dont know, it doesnt have any branding on it - just a big green tank. Is there a way to check?

InPsyDer wrote: »
    I dont know, it doesnt have any branding on it - just a big green tank. Is there a way to check?

Unvented pressurised cylinders can generate funky noises where as other types of cylinders will cause other problems.

I would let people know where in the country you are and it might be worth contacting the manufactures of the cylinder to see if they can point you in the right direction.

I'm in Dublin 8. Anyone who has dealt with something like this, I'd be so grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

InPsyDer wrote: »

I would guess its a water hammer problem.
    Roughly how tall is the tank?
    Does the banging start shortly after you flush the toilet or run a lot of water, if so, check if the sound stops or diminishes when you run the Cold Kitchen Tap at the same time as the noise is occurring.
    If this is the problem, then it is easily remedied.

• Advertisement

The tank is tall enough that I have to reach right up to touch the top - I'm 5"6. The plumber previously installed a "special expensive valve designed to stop water hammer" & after that the pipes made a terrible deep moaning for weeks. He came back and fixed that, but we still have incredibly loud bangs and thumps going on day and night. It happens regardless of water use but when the tank is refilling the sound of the water rushing in is very loud. Kitchen tap use makes no difference and the water often takes a few long seconds to come out of it, then when it does it bursts out in a rush. Not always though. Right now the tank is letting out a quieter-but-still-annoying rattle every six seconds, which it can do for hours. Other times it is silent for a bit but then lets out a volley of loud bangs like bits of metal are whirling around inside it, or thumps so loud its like someone is hammering on the wall. I've read a lot about water hammer and it sounds like that kind of sound but plumber is mystified as to how to stop it. Keeps me awake night after night :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If its not the cylinder filling valve and all the pipework is correctly fastened, then it's possibly a faulty or incorrectly set pressure reducing valve.

p.m. sent.

Advertisement