Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No thermostat in new house?

Options
  • 15-04-2015 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have searched around the forum a bit and cannot find an answer to a question I've got. The new house (built c. 1999) is a 5 bed detached property with an outside oil boiler (Firebird Silverpac 26k). There appears to be no thermostat in the house that I can find!. There is, however, the bog standard on/off/timer dial thingy which is located in the utility room (within close proximity to the boiler, which is outside).

The burning question is can I have one installed? How big a job would this be, considering that wiring would have to go from the boiler all the way to the hall (or best point of install).

Is there a wireless workaround that can communicate remotely with the boiler?

The idea of having on/off manual control seems a bit absurd considering I'd like to get something like Nest in to the house.

Is it possible that I just cannot locate the thermo?

Also, if anyone is familiar with these type of boilers mentioned, I notice the exhaust points upwards...is this correct considering it can/ could collect rain water? Just seems a little odd. Also, it is located directly under the utility room's vent and the fumes come straight in through the vent...seems like an odd place to put it in fairness. Are they easily moved? I would guess not!

Any advice or pointers greatly welcomed,

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Your wiring setup isn't all that unusual, but a lazy way of doing it. It usually came about by builders/developers going with the lowest quote for install and plumbing.

Wireless thermostat will probably sort you out with basic control, but keep it on mind that you should aim for better control if the opertunity ever arises. It may also be possible to put in a wired stat, it depends on the setup.

Turned up flue is no problem on a condensing boiler.
    Proximity of vent to flue is a problem. Might be easier to move vent. It needs eyes on to decide on best solution.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement