Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Appointment Coombe Public, what to expect?

Options
  • 04-07-2014 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got my first appointment in the Coombe next week. I'm going public. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Its my first and I literally haven't a clue whats going to happen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Hi,

I've got my first appointment in the Coombe next week. I'm going public. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Its my first and I literally haven't a clue whats going to happen!

I am going semi private but had an appt a month ago. U register at desk, (they gave me my next appt then) then u provide urine sample, get bloods taken, have weight checked and have a review with midwife where she goes through your history and any relevant family history. Finally get to go for scan.. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm public in the coombe. I suggest not going until 20 mins before your appointment time because you will be left waiting. They tend to ask people to queue according to apt time, so for 9:30 - 9:45 please queue now, I think it keeps their lines down and it means you don't have to stand there for ages.

Then you're given a booking card, a pink one in our case, you will be sent off with a jar to give a urine sample and then you will go into the midwives where you will be asked questions about your health and medical history, weighed and you will get to ask questions. you can't have your partner in for this initial consultation as they will ask questions that have to do with potential safety of the child. I'd imagine for cases where there is abuse in the home etc.

Then you're sent for blood tests and finally your first scan (your partner can be with you for this and I'd highly recommend it if it suits your circumstances).

Everyone you will meet will be lovely, although it is a bit disorganised looking in the reception area. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks guys, I like to know what's going to happen and that's incredibly detailed-thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Thanks guys, I like to know what's going to happen and that's incredibly detailed-thanks so much!

I've found them all great, I'm public in the Coombe and the staff are all lovely, on my first visit I had no idea which way the queue was so just ask someone, the last hatch is for your first visit so just head straight over to where that is and don't forget to bring photo ID and proof of address..I also forgot that! After you get your file you'll need a urine sample they then do general health, bloods and scan so expect up to 3.5 hours on the day!

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kathune

When does Coombe give the first appointment? around how many weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

kathune wrote: »
    When does Coombe give the first appointment? around how many weeks?

Mine was about 13 weeks, it depends when you register your details with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kathune

Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was 12+6 for my first appointment back in October and I booked in at 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

I was 11+6 and booked at 5 weeks

Mine was 14 weeks, we booked in at about ten. We thought we were booking at about 4. 'Twas a shock to say the least to see a baby pop up on the screen instead of a little bean type thingy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'll be 11+2 but thats because I flagged on the phone that I was concerned because the heartburn is flaring my asthma pretty badly

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorita

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm public in the coombe. I suggest not going until 20 mins before your appointment time because you will be left waiting. They tend to ask people to queue according to apt time, so for 9:30 - 9:45 please queue now, I think it keeps their lines down and it means you don't have to stand there for ages.

Then you're given a booking card, a pink one in our case, you will be sent off with a jar to give a urine sample and then you will go into the midwives where you will be asked questions about your health and medical history, weighed and you will get to ask questions. you can't have your partner in for this initial consultation as they will ask questions that have to do with potential safety of the child. I'd imagine for cases where there is abuse in the home etc.

Then you're sent for blood tests and finally your first scan (your partner can be with you for this and I'd highly recommend it if it suits your circumstances).

Everyone you will meet will be lovely, although it is a bit disorganised looking in the reception area. :)

I was just there for my first app. during the week and that is exactly how my appointment went.

I got an appointment to see a consultant in a few weeks and i also got my 20 week scan appointment.

But what happens at the consultant appointment??

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How long after sending in form were you notified of appointment?

Lorita wrote: »
    But what happens at the consultant appointment??

Absolutely feck all, I found it a total waste of time to be honest. I was waiting hours after my appointment time, listening to nurses complain that it's not the first time he just "didn't bother to turn up" and discussing who was going to call him to remind him of where he was supposed to be. I was in with him for five minutes, literally.

Advertisement