Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due October 2014.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

http://www.babyscan.ie/early-pregnancy-scan/

have you had a look at this place fittle? they do scans from 8 weeks, i was wondering if anyone had head of it, or what they think.

my scan is not until 24th March - just don't think i can wait that long and i really want to tell my mother in law but don't really want to say anything untill we have had a scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Nikki2510 wrote: »
    http://www.babyscan.ie/early-pregnancy-scan/

have you had a look at this place fittle? they do scans from 8 weeks, i was wondering if anyone had head of it, or what they think.

my scan is not until 24th March - just don't think i can wait that long and i really want to tell my mother in law but don't really want to say anything untill we have had a scan.

yes id seen that Nikki, but it would only be 2 weeks before the hospital scan for me, so ill wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Hi girls, joining in here. Just got positive yest, have 1 year old already and took us over year trying before got pregnant with her so started half trying last month, not even using ovulation sticks or taking vitamins and totally totally shocked (but delighted!) to get positive straight away. Not due til 18th Oct so long way to go and para about anything going wrong but please God it will all be fine.

So any symptoms with any of ye so far? Nothing here yet really, wrecked tired but could just be from being up during night with number 1! Had v bad heart burn with first so just waiting for it to start this time!

Anyway congrats to all of ye, such exciting, nerve wracking time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 April_80

Hi all,

We just did our test today and it was positive. Used an online calculator and I'm just over 5 weeks and think we're due around the 17th of October. We've been trying since October 2013 and this is our first. Still feels a bit surreal, I'm excited but extremely nervous! When should I make a doctors appointment do you think? Would anyone recommend a pregnancy book to buy?

April_80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We just did our test today and it was positive. Used an online calculator and I'm just over 5 weeks and think we're due around the 17th of October. We've been trying since October 2013 and this is our first. Still feels a bit surreal, I'm excited but extremely nervous! When should I make a doctors appointment do you think? Would anyone recommend a pregnancy book to buy?

Hiya and congrats!

For our first I think we went to GP at about six weeks to confirm but their tests are less sensitive than a lot of the home tests so barely got a very faint positive there. We also had to go back later to get bloods done as was too early for them too so think will wait longer this time. At very first appt they just did the urine dip preg test then asked if wanted go private or public and did referral letter to hospital, that was it. Took blood then week or two later and sent to hospital but think in some areas they may do that at first hosp appt.

We're in Galway so first hosp appt was at 12ish weeks took history of me and hubby, checked weight, blood pressure, read blood results which GP had sent, took urine sample, listened to heartbeat etc. Only do one scan in Galway at about 20 weeks so got one done privately to put our minds at ease at about 12 weeks.

Book-wise I had What to Expect When You're Expecting and it was fine, to be honest I read it loads at start then kinda got bored, mostly ised pregnancy apps as its small bits of info at a time but good to have book to refer to I suppose.

Anyway wow sorry this is so long, good luck with it all!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that SaucySue! Will maybe make an appointment for the week after next!

SaucySue wrote: »
    Hiya and congrats!

For our first I think we went to GP at about six weeks to confirm but their tests are less sensitive than a lot of the home tests so barely got a very faint positive there. We also had to go back later to get bloods done as was too early for them too so think will wait longer this time. At very first appt they just did the urine dip preg test then asked if wanted go private or public and did referral letter to hospital, that was it. Took blood then week or two later and sent to hospital but think in some areas they may do that at first hosp appt.

We're in Galway so first hosp appt was at 12ish weeks took history of me and hubby, checked weight, blood pressure, read blood results which GP had sent, took urine sample, listened to heartbeat etc. Only do one scan in Galway at about 20 weeks so got one done privately to put our minds at ease at about 12 weeks.

Book-wise I had What to Expect When You're Expecting and it was fine, to be honest I read it loads at start then kinda got bored, mostly ised pregnancy apps as its small bits of info at a time but good to have book to refer to I suppose.

Anyway wow sorry this is so long, good luck with it all!

Thanks for that SaucySue! Will maybe make an appointment for the week after next!

Actually you might be as well to ring your gp next week just see what they say, in case maybe with different hospitals around the country you mught need to be referred earlier on.

Oh the other big thing for us last time was ante natal classes, they book up early here anyway so had to ring and book into them pretty much straight away so maybe check that out too. I also did an early preg class which was interesting too, that was just for women the antenatal class we went to - evening class in UCHG over four weeks - all the women had their husbands/partners with them but think that was largely because it was the only evening class they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi all,

I tested on the first day I missed my period and got a 1-2 weeks positive on the digital tests.
    We'd been TTC for a year and so I got a little carried away and did another 3 tests that same day. All were positive.
    I had to go away that weekend (boo hiss as it wasn't with my husband) and so made an appointment to see my GP on the Monday.
    I told him I'd done 4 tests and all were positive - he laughed and said that was fine and didn't do one himself. He did take a list of my symptoms etc and did the usual - weight, blood pressure, public or private and what hospital did I want to go to....
    I took a couple of days to weigh up the private/semi private and public options and by the end of that week decided on semi private at the Coombe. Sent off my letter and appointment form and got an appointment for April 1st the following week. When I get my first hospital appointment I'll be 12 +6 pregnant. Given that I'm glad I made the GP appointment so quickly and got booked in to the hospital I wanted at what seems to be just the right time.

Re: books to read- I bought the What to Expect When You're Expecting book.
    I've read through a fair bit of it at this stage and its interesting - my one gripe would be that it is based on the UK / NHS system and things are rather different here. Obviously having a baby and how that happens is the same the world over but the hospital end of things is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I got this one in Easons. Based on the irish system:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Irish-Pregnancy-Book-Expectant/dp/1899047883

Hi all - just thought I'd update.

So I had a few bad cramps over the weekend and thought I'd best go into the hospital this morning (no bleeding thankfully, but pretty bad cramping).

The midwife did a scan and said she could see the pregnancy sac and a tiny 'flicker' which she assumed was the heartbeat:). She said at this stage (6wks, 3 days) she wouldn't expect to see anything else and said I could be hopeful...I've to go back on thursday for an internal scan - the cramping has gone now and apart from the tiredness, I'm fine:)

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    Hi all - just thought I'd update.

So I had a few bad cramps over the weekend and thought I'd best go into the hospital this morning (no bleeding thankfully, but pretty bad cramping).

The midwife did a scan and said she could see the pregnancy sac and a tiny 'flicker' which she assumed was the heartbeat:). She said at this stage (6wks, 3 days) she wouldn't expect to see anything else and said I could be hopeful...I've to go back on thursday for an internal scan - the cramping has gone now and apart from the tiredness, I'm fine:)
    Will keep fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Excuse me for budging in on the October Mummys, I'm normally over with the July crew!

I had to reply Fittle because I developed bad cramping at 6+4 accompanied by bright red bleeding, had a transvaginal scan in the EPU and clearly saw a little heart beating away.

I had another bleed at 9+1 which was brown in colour and lasted a few days.Again a scan and a very clear photo shoot with bubba and a clear as day heartbeat.

I am now 17+4 and everything is going really well please God and I regularly enjoy listening to baby's heartbeat with my home doppler!

Some women have bleeding and/or cramping for some of their pregnancy and while you should ALWAYS get it checked out, it is actually way more common than you think Fittle.You will be fine but I just wanted to reassure you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

So we were at the docs yesterday. Confirmed now and all with a due date of. 12 October. 6w2d today. Excited isn't the word.

Unfortunately I suffered a miscarriage on Sunday. We only found out Saturday that we were pregnant and then ended up having bad back pains that night and following morning. The bleeding started about lunchtime. Went straight to Holles Street, they were very good to us us and the midwife was very understanding. Still seems all a bit surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Unfortunately I suffered a miscarriage on Sunday. We only found out Saturday that we were pregnant and then ended up having bad back pains that night and following morning. The bleeding started about lunchtime. Went straight to Holles Street, they were very good to us us and the midwife was very understanding. Still seems all a bit surreal.

So sorry to hear that, you poor thing. Sending you a hug xx

I'm really really sorry to hear that news. Big hugs and comforting thoughts being sent your way. xx

So sorry to hear that April_80.

Well, i had an internal scan today and there was the heartbeat...beating at 130 apparently, which is good according to doctor!!! Its still early days, and im back in 4wks (in over 40, so think they are keeping an eye on me)...still afraid to get too excited, but all good so far😊😊

Thats so great Fittle, i'd say your over the moon, how exciting!!

how are you girls getting on with symptoms? i was thinking i was lucky as i had no morning sickness, but the last few days i have been so quesy! it's awful :( but it's supposed to be a good sign so i'm holding on to that.

also has anyone noticed their clothes getting a bit snugger in the tummy area? i know its way to early but i swear some days i feel like i have a bigger tummy !!

Thats so great Fittle, i'd say your over the moon, how exciting!!

how are you girls getting on with symptoms? i was thinking i was lucky as i had no morning sickness, but the last few days i have been so quesy! it's awful :( but it's supposed to be a good sign so i'm holding on to that.

also has anyone noticed their clothes getting a bit snugger in the tummy area? i know its way to early but i swear some days i feel like i have a bigger tummy !!

I thought I was getting away without any nausea or anything too but over the last few days I've found that 10am-2pm are a killer for me - I feel nauseated and so so tired that its a massive struggle to stay awake. Then bam, 2pm comes and I feel much better. Its peculair.
    I've also noticed a lot more cramping or just general things going on in my abdomen over this week too. In the evening time I feel really bloated and sensitve in that area.
    Like you, it is too early to have any kind of bump or that but I am noticing that clothes are feeling different than they used to all right.

• Advertisement

ah penny am gald you've noticed that too, i was sort of looking wondering what is going on as if anything i am eating better now so was thinking it was odd!!

you poor mite with the nausea, i'm the same as in its bad on bus in and out to work and about 11.00am and 7-8pm , i could nearly set my clock by it! still it's not so bad as it come in waves and goes again as quick.

yeah i had lopads of cramps and pressure in my tummy but that also comes and goes - the whole thing it mental!

another thing ive noticed is my skin is getting very bad - dry and little breakouts! i thought i was supoosed to glow!!

ah penny am gald you've noticed that too, i was sort of looking wondering what is going on as if anything i am eating better now so was thinking it was odd!!

you poor mite with the nausea, i'm the same as in its bad on bus in and out to work and about 11.00am and 7-8pm , i could nearly set my clock by it! still it's not so bad as it come in waves and goes again as quick.

yeah i had lopads of cramps and pressure in my tummy but that also comes and goes - the whole thing it mental!

another thing ive noticed is my skin is getting very bad - dry and little breakouts! i thought i was supoosed to glow!![/QUOTE]

Yes!!! I'm feeling cheated on that front. :D
    I have always had really good skin - when I was a teenage if I got a single spot I thought it was bad, I was really lucky.
    Now I have acne on my upper back (at least its there rather than all over my face I suppose) and more break outs on my face than I've ever had. Then other spots of my face are really dry. Its odd.
    One other thing I've noticed is how quickly my hair gets greasy.

Haven't noticed an increase in my waist size, but similarly, am getting cramps and loads of 'stuff' happening in my tummy! It's 13yrs since my last pregnancy (can't believe my lad is almost 12:eek:) and I don't remember this last time round....but don't think I knew I was pregnant this early either.

How long on are you all? My scan on thurs said 6wks6days, but by date I'm 7wks 6days....I dunno:confused:

I'm 7+6 today and have been feeling a bit rough over the last little while. I'm not getting morning sickness but certainly am feeling quite nauseated for a lot of the day - late morning to early evening.
    I am also sleeping badly i.e. I seem to wake a 4:00am-5:30am every morning and getting back to sleep is not happening for me. Then I'm exhausted at work and doing SFA. Also finding it difficult to eat during the day. At least I'm getting a good breakfast (porridge with nuts and seeds and some fruit) and then dinner in without hassle so thats something.

Since I found out I'm pregnant I've weighed myself every Monday morning first thing. This was something I did anyway - not as an extreme thing but it was always a great way to see the pounds sneak up and know that you had to pull back with the treats and go for a little walk or two.
    Anyway my point with this is that I've put on no weight at all. Not that I'm complaining, I'm in no way ready to tell work or even have people gossiping about me in that way!. Should I have put any on by now? How has that been for the rest of you?
    I've been continuing to exercise and eat normally (which was always quite healthy anyway) so maybe the fact that I'm down a meal during the day due to feeling nauseated has kept the pounds off? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Penny it's very early, the baby is absolutely tiny, it's completely normal not to have put on weight yet. My friend is due any day now and didn't put on any weight until she was 16 weeks and then it was only a few pounds, she didn't even look pregnant until she was about 28-30 weeks. She's 40 weeks now and has put on about one and a half stone, mostly bump and boobs.

Penny it's very early, the baby is absolutely tiny, it's completely normal not to have put on weight yet. My friend is due any day now and didn't put on any weight until she was 16 weeks and then it was only a few pounds, she didn't even look pregnant until she was about 28-30 weeks. She's 40 weeks now and has put on about one and a half stone, mostly bump and boobs.

Thanks:) Its odd to be wondering if you should be weighing more isn't it:rolleyes: Usually its all about keeping the weight down or at a nice level.
    I'm fine with not putting any or much on at all during the pregnancy - its just that you start to wonder about the strangest things I find. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Thanks:) Its odd to be wondering if you should be weighing more isn't it:rolleyes: Usually its all about keeping the weight down or at a nice level.
    I'm fine with not putting any or much on at all during the pregnancy - its just that you start to wonder about the strangest things I find. :o

Well if it helps even more I was 7lbs when I was born and my mum put on under a stone altogether, so she only put on about 6-7lbs of weight from fluid, extra fat, boobs, etc. She didn't have any bump at all, even at 9 months. So there isn't any "normal", each pregnancy is different.

Well if it helps even more I was 7lbs when I was born and my mum put on under a stone altogether, so she only put on about 6-7lbs of weight from fluid, extra fat, boobs, etc. She didn't have any bump at all, even at 9 months. So there isn't any "normal", each pregnancy is different.

I'd be perfectly happy to stay on the small side- just so long as everything is ok. I suppose if I'm eating well (and I think two good meals a day is good) then the baby will get all the nutrients it needs regardless of whether I get a big,medium or small sized bump.

On a different note- when do you all intend to tell where you work? I'm in the midst of changing jobs (within the same organisation) and do not want them to know until all of the paper work is signed and sealed. That should take place in the next week or so though so I'm happy enough with that.
    My first appointment with the Coombe is April 1st and I'll have my scan then too. I'll tell my family the following week (if I can wait that long) as we'll all be together for a family celebration but feel odd about telling work. People gossip so much and I can really do without the "do you know what you need to/ should do" conversations and the "are you really going to eat that??" looks.
    I'm away on holidays at the start of June and I'll be almost 25 weeks when I come back. Would it be dreadful to leave it that long if I could hide it?

IM in a similar dilema about work..ive just started a new job and am on 6mths probation! I know they cant let me go because of the pregnancy, but they could use anthr excuse. Ill be 4.5mths when my probation is up, dunno if i can hide it till then so id be interested to hear what others are doing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Peeps we had spotting just brown over a day or two when weeing there on Friday. Referred to the coombe last night . Did a abdominal scan then referred us to the early pregnancy unit. Doc was 90% sure everything was ok. Been referred for vaginal scan next Tuesday. Doc wanted 100% surety that all was ok. Think we saw the little mite on screen with heartbeat. Trying not to overthink. GP said all ok and is running as it should but referred due to spotting few days before.

Advertisement