Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Boiler Flushing

Options
  • 18-11-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

My boiler is due a service, and I was told earlier in the year that the system was full of sludge and should also be flushed. The plumber at the time told me that would cost 600 euro, which is what the Bord Gais website says.

There's a deal today for a service and a boiler flush with the latter being an add on at an extra €68. Does this sound like a complete con?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

My boiler is due a service, and I was told earlier in the year that the system was full of sludge and should also be flushed. The plumber at the time told me that would cost 600 euro, which is what the Bord Gais website says.

There's a deal today for a service and a boiler flush with the latter being an add on at an extra €68. Does this sound like a complete con?

Any thoughts?

It really depends on how big your system is. How many rads?
    What part of the country are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It really depends on how big your system is. How many rads?
    What part of the country are you based?

Dublin. I have 5 big radiators and 3 little ones.

It just sounds too cheap to me i.e. that it would end up being a waste of money.

Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dublin. I have 5 big radiators and 3 little ones.

It just sounds too cheap to me i.e. that it would end up being a waste of money.

Thanks for replying.

68 for a boiler flush is stupid to be honest. The entire system needs a flush, not just the boiler. For an 8 rad house I'd say anywhere between 400-500 should be a fair price. Shane 0007 or johnnie k cover Dublin and their on here. Send them a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    68 for a boiler flush is stupid to be honest. The entire system needs a flush, not just the boiler. For an 8 rad house I'd say anywhere between 400-500 should be a fair price. Shane 0007 or johnnie k cover Dublin and their on here. Send them a pm

Cool, that's great. Thanks for your input :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

€450 for powerflush including chemicals & vat would be normal rate for systems upto 10 rads.
    €80 for boiler service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

The plumber at the time told me that would cost 600 euro, which is what the Bord Gais website says.

Any thoughts?

600 euro is a joke, ask who ever quotes you to break it down to material and labour and let us know. IMHO system flushing is a money making racket if thats the sort of money being charged.

Shane0007 will give you a discount though if you mention me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

600 euro is a joke, ask who ever quotes you to break it down to material and labour and let us know. IMHO system flushing is a money making racket if thats the sort of money being charged.

reckon ur on commission if so your fcuked our ginger leader has it since last week :D

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm afraid the discount scheme has closed until further notice. Down to H & C's now but they are big!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

how is it a money making racket if a system is full of sludge rads not working and after the flushing the system is working fine?

rightjob! wrote: »
    how is it a money making racket if a system is full of sludge rads not working and after the flushing the system is working fine?

So what would it actually cost you to "flush" 10 rads ? materials and labour please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

So what would it actually cost you to "flush" 10 rads ? materials and labour please.

flushing a system the chemicals,your flushing kit ,the vat,your insurance,how you get to the job the van,the labour and all the rest!

its not as if you magically appeared to somebodys house with a flushing unit and chemicals in your hand already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭gifted

flushing a system the chemicals,your flushing kit ,the vat,your insurance,how you get to the job the van,the labour and all the rest!

its not as if you magically appeared to somebodys house with a flushing unit and chemicals in your hand already!

I could be wrong but I get the impression from Billy's previous post was that he reckons that €600 is a bit expensive for a powerflush, I don't think he means that powerflushing itself is a joke.

You can buy the chemicals for €7, the good flushing kit for less than a grand.

Life expectancy of the machine would be at least 50 flushes, 1000 divided by 50 = €20.

My total kit for Boiler servicing costs me around the same, you recon i could get away with giving the custard a €600 bill.

I started power flushing over 25 years ago it didn't cost big money then and doesn't now, power flushing for €600 is brutal.

A little tip for you, if you're prices match Bord gais you're over charging;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I think 450 is a fair price that's if the plumber is good equipment and a magneclean which makes the job easier and less time consuming

You can buy the chemicals for €7, the good flushing kit for less than a grand.

Life expectancy of the machine would be at least 50 flushes, 1000 divided by 50 = €20.

My total kit for Boiler servicing costs me around the same, you recon i could get away with giving the custard a €600 bill.

Fernox F5 €28 + vat per bottle per 10 rads
    Fernox DS40 €45 + vat per box per 10 rads
    Fernox F1 €20 + vat per bottle per 10 rads
    My flushing equipment cost me €1,100 for the machine, €450 per the magnet, €2,500 for camera, TDS meter €100, pump head adapter €150, misc other items circa €300, water test kits, etc.
    A boiler service will take you 60 - 90 minutes. A proper powerflush will take all day & a re-balance of the system.
    Then there are the breaking balls systems where floors are lifted, drain the system to get at the 318 that is solid blocked where the chemicals just can't get into.
    IMO average €450 incl everything is not bad where the alternatives of new heat exchangers, new boilers, etc. is a hell of lot more. Then less than €300 when doing with a boiler change.

shane0007 wrote: »
    IMO average €450 incl everything is not bad where the alternatives of new heat exchangers, new boilers, etc. is a hell of lot more. Then less than €300 when doing with a boiler change.

I would agree that IF your using quality products and equipment then €450 wouldn't be taking the piss, too much!! but if the bord gais "team" do a powerflush anywhere near as good as they do a boiler service then €600 is a total piss take.

I would agree that IF your using quality products and equipment then €450 wouldn't be taking the piss, too much!! but if the bord gais "team" do a powerflush anywhere near as good as they do a boiler service then €600 is a total piss take.

Completely agree. I have powerflushed systems that had been so called powerflushed before & system was solid choked. As we all know it is not a case of you get what you pay for with certain companies.
    I only use Fernox products because I find them the best. I have used Sentinel which are good but I found better results with Fernox.
    Viessmann state in their manual that if you use products other than Fernox or Sentinel, the boiler warranty is null & void.

I made the investment in my equipment because it offers the best possible service for my customers. At this time of year I would do probably 2 - 3 powerflushes per week but many of these relate to boiler changeovers.

Advertisement