Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Stanley Stove - Reginald & Lismore

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I would like to get some advice from any OWNER of a Waterford Stanley REGINALD or LISMORE Stove, or from any plumber who may have installed one.

I have been to the local supplier who say they do not hold information for customer sales details & referred me to Wat.Stanley and when I phoned Wat.Stanley they tell me its "like someone asking a German car manufacturer for details of one of their car owners in Ireland".

So if anyone either has one or has fitted one that can verify the efficiency of them I would greatly appreciate some advice or recommendation about them.

Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 polymath plumber

The brand name is peace of mind in itself.

I have fitted many different makes of stanley stoves over the years. I can tell you . Your buying quality from a leading player in the market. Which will probably reflect in the price of the purchase.

Having it fitted by a stanley trained service engineer is vital. Stanley do not let anyone do courses on their products. I am sure OFTEC & HETAS are also not permitted to do courses (or demonstrations) on their appliances.

The point I am making , if the installer is Stanley trained with experience. You will enjoy a trouble free efficient and long lasting appliance.

The appliance will probably last a life time with a service once a year after been fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

The brand name is peace of mind in itself.

I have fitted many different makes of stanley stoves over the years. I can tell you . Your buying quality from a leading player in the market. Which will probably reflect in the price of the purchase.

Having it fitted by a stanley trained service engineer is vital. Stanley do not let anyone do courses on their products. I am sure OFTEC & HETAS are also not permitted to do courses (or demonstrations) on their appliances.

The point I am making , if the installer is Stanley trained with experience. You will enjoy a trouble free efficient and long lasting appliance.

The appliance will probably last a life time with a service once a year after been fitted.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated
    If I could get similar advice from some OWNERS it would be a big help too.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I think you would do well asking elsewhere, have you tried their FB page ??

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordStanley‎

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BluefishJD

I have recently got a Stanley Reginald Stove installed in our 4 Bed Semi and have to say am well impressed despite a couple of teething issues which to be honest were alot to do with me being a new stove owner - The Reginald although bigger model sits very neatly within the room and looks great - once I figured out the best balance between damper setting and air wash and very happy with heat output to room, rads and water. Not the stoves fault but we do seem to have a little air in the system which may have got caught when the system was flushed so currently getting that sorted. Overall delighted with our choice on stove but definitely need a couple of weeks to get a handle on settings so as burn rate is good (lasts long) & heat output is optimum. Have being using a little more coal than normal but have to realize this is natural as firebox is bigger but still for the amount of heat, hot water and hot rads for 2 buckets of coal it is worth it!

Also a point to note now this may be just because of our house style and chimney but the Reginald actually sits back against the wall tighter than the lismore even though the lismore is smaller in height and width I think due to its flue position it is deeper so therefore comes out from the wall more and into the room more if you know what I mean. Neighbours of ours got the lismore and once it was in quickly changed for an Erin as it came out too much into the room so this could be something to measure up before choosing between the two.

As I said stove only in a couple of weeks so am still getting to grips with burning correctly and efficiently by getting the right settings - which can and will differ from house to house due to chimney and draw (as i was told) and as I said because we have a bit of air somewhere in the system (Plumber is coming back to hopefully solve - 2nd time) we not getting full 100% but still great heat and use of fuel to heat our home. Hope some of this may help!

BluefishJD wrote: »
    I have recently got a Stanley Reginald Stove installed in our 4 Bed Semi .... Hope some of this may help!

Hi Bluefish
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    I'm really struggling at the moment trying to make the decision as to whether to go Boiler or Non-Boiler (even having dreams about it ...haha).
    It looks like a fair size investment and a good bit of destruction in getting out my back-boiler etc, so I'm treading slowly with it.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

• Advertisement

No problem our choice of Reginald Boiler Stove was we wanted the fire to heat the whole house or more so to get more out of the fire/fuel, which it is doing to great effect - only had the oil on once for about an hour and an half since stove installed 3 weeks ago, from a destruction/work point of view we too reckoned the place would be up in a heap for awhile but the plumber (and 2 other lads) had all in and done in the one day (Worked from around 10am - 11pm) cleaned up everything after themselves and although he's been back to settle/flush system, block up back of fire and other bits & pieces all major banging, drilling and pipework was done in the one day and he had a fire going in it on the second day - just to say we had no back boiler at all and I got my fireplace guy to remove back of fire whilst he took down mantle/surround and cast iron insert of old fireplace and know if he hadn't kindly done this the plumber would have anyway but had got the chimney cleaned days before so not as messy. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks again
    I'm on the 3rd or 4th plumber quotation at this stage.
    Might have "white smoke" (pardon the pun ...haha) soon.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A05snow

REF: Stanley Reginald Stove
    Hi BluefishJD
    could I please ask ,how many radiators and rough size of hot-water tank your
    Stanley Reginald is heating .I have researched a little on this stove ,
    and it looks the muts nuts .Also are we talking 2x huge or just 2xnormal builders bucket of coal per evening hours?.
    Thanks
    Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hi there

I want to purchase a Reginald, it looks great but we have 19 rads in total, would be calling on the stove at times to heat 16, would it do ok? I know some might not be the warmest but theres no need for them all to be piping hot... Any advice is appreciated. Have been told to get a 21kw stove but I don't want to be shovelling coal on it all the time either

Hi Hollywood unfortunately my knowledge on output on the Reginald is middling - we have 12 Rads and the Reginald heats them all very well but I don't know about 19. It was our plumber who advised to go for the Reginald as would cover 12 rads but the sales lady for Stanley thought we were mad going for such a big stove for only 12 rads in a semi detached and that the reginald would more suit a larger single house with more rads so I know conflicting advice but all I can say is that we are very happy with performance of this stove and heats our 4 bedroom large enough semi very well - hope some of this may help.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bluefish, the advice all over is very conflicting, so hard to know what one to go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Hi
    I wonder which stove you got in the end. I have a Lismore installed for 3 years and I cannot get it right. I'm very dissappointed with it. There is little or no radiant heat from it and the rads are warm at best. I have been on to Stanley and I'm still not sorted. I'd love to hear from someone who is happy with the Lismore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cathellen wrote: »
    Hi
    I wonder which stove you got in the end. I have a Lismore installed for 3 years and I cannot get it right. I'm very dissappointed with it. There is little or no radiant heat from it and the rads are warm at best. I have been on to Stanley and I'm still not sorted. I'd love to hear from someone who is happy with the Lismore.

What are you burning in it and how much are you burning?

tbh you hear daft stories of stoves that burn all day and all night on two sticks which might be so but two sticks don't contain enough energy to heat anything.

I have the Henley blasket. I'm finding it is only heating the tops of the rads and the bottoms are luke warm in some rooms and cold in others. Sometimes this is the case and the back boiler is banging so I have to turn the stat down. Surely when are the rads aren't warm the back boiler shouldn't be banging?

I find you need to keep shovelling the coal on to keep the rads warm. Also we tried lots of different brands of coal too, some bags were terrible wouldn't heat the rads at all. I only have mine since December but I'm still trying to figure it out

I have the Henley blasket. I'm finding it is only heating the tops of the rads and the bottoms are luke warm in some rooms and cold in others. Sometimes this is the case and the back boiler is banging so I have to turn the stat down. Surely when are the rads aren't warm the back boiler shouldn't be banging?

I find you need to keep shovelling the coal on to keep the rads warm. Also we tried lots of different brands of coal too, some bags were terrible wouldn't heat the rads at all. I only have mine since December but I'm still trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pugg101

Cathellen wrote: »
    Hi

Hello Cathleen,
    I fitted a Stanley Lismore in my semi detached four bedroom house 4 years ago now I'd say. I have to say I'm extremely happy with it.. I come home from work at 6:30/6:45 and clean out the ashes and get her lit. I think it heats the water in the tank first and then switches to rads but I'm not 100% sure but anyways,, within an hour I've all the hot water I need and rads are roasting. I usually just burn turf throughout the year and they heat up my house fine but now with the extra chill in the air I use a bit of coal for a bit of a boost. The coal def gets the heat to the water and rads quicker. Once I have her lit and A nice red bed of coal or turf I close the bottom ash pan door and just keep the thermostat setting to maximum, I find that if I turn this down at all it dramatically effects the way the fuel burns therefore less heat or no heat at all to rads so I just leave it at max all the time. I'm heating around 12 rads and I can turn the heat to my upstairs and downstairs but I just leave it to heat both and all my rads in house is warm in every room. The only rad I turn off is the room where the stove is and it's the biggest rad in house so maybe that helps me with the heat everywhere else. I also have loads of hot water. Proper hot like for a bath or shower. Sorry to be a bore but I just wanted to let you know I'm really happy with my lismore. All the best.. any questions are welcome thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NW_EIRE

Hi bluefish I know it's been quite a while since you've been active on this thread but would you mind me asking what size of room is your stove in and if it gets too hot in the room and how do you find it after having it installed for so many years?

Advertisement