Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBR 1000 and a few other Q's

Options
  • 31-12-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been off bikes for about 4 years. I've had CBR 900 FB's and my last bike was a Triumph ST 900.
    Anyways, i'm looking for an old reliable bike for Sundays really and nice days. Have my eye on a CBR 1000 1992, in great nick.

Although the oul' Hondas are relaible as bejaysis, I'm wonder what peeps opinions are on a CBR that old. Yay or nay?

Also, I used to use a garage on Bolton Street, Dublin 1 called the Italian centre. He's gone now, I found him very good. What garages are being recommended now? As I never sorted a full licence for myself I'm going to have to have any new bike restricted.

Cheers all.
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

dont wanna burst youre bubble mate but you wont get insured on a 1000cc bike with a provisional restricted or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Ah cheers mate. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and go small 'til I get the licence sorted out. Back to the Super 4 so!

Dam!

Just on that, are insurance companies still providing bike cover on car policies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nope. If your insured with aon on car they will give ya 30% discount on bike insurance

Thanks mate. I'll just have to suck it up for a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Jon wrote: »
    Have my eye on a CBR 1000 1992, in great nick.

Although the oul' Hondas are relaible as bejaysis, I'm wonder what peeps opinions are on a CBR that old. Yay or nay?

Reliable as a diesel locomotive. Unstoppable, easy to fix and plentiful second hand part avaliability in the UK. The voltage regulator/rectifier gives trouble on them but once fixed they are usually ok. You will notice it much heavier than the previous stuff you had - they are a big solid lump. Make sure its been serviced properly and the tyres and brakes work properly. They had the first version of Hondas linked brake setup and some people don't like it - go and read up on it if you buy the bike.
    Also, I used to use a garage on Bolton Street, Dublin 1 called the Italian centre. He's gone now, I found him very good. What garages are being recommended now?

Leo O'Reilly out in Drumcondra will look after anything you need for that bike.
    As I never sorted a full licence for myself I'm going to have to have any new bike restricted.

Not a problem - bring the bike to an approved restrictor fitting centre (ring around Dublin bike shops) and for ~€250 they will fit a restrictor and give you a cert to document it. The CBR1000 is ideal for the job as it is easy to fit and easy to remove when you have passed your restriction period.

Make sure you get an insurance quote for the bike before you buy it - AON and Adelaide are currently best if you are a bit older (30's) and Quinn if you are younger. Avoid Carole Nash - I haven't heard much good about them.

My 41 yr old mate bought a restricted '91 VFR750 three months ago and paid €420 insurance with AON without any problems.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

seanybiker wrote: »
    nope. If your insured with aon on car they will give ya 30% discount on bike insurance

Hey Seany - I thought you'd fallen off the planet!

FYI if you are insured on a car, you just send your cert to AON and they will give the 30% discount - it doesn't have to be with them/AXA.

'cptr

Reliable as a diesel locomotive. Unstoppable, easy to fix and plentiful second hand part avaliability in the UK. The voltage regulator/rectifier gives trouble on them but once fixed they are usually ok. You will notice it much heavier than the previous stuff you had - they are a big solid lump. Make sure its been serviced properly and the tyres and brakes work properly. They had the first version of Hondas linked brake setup and some people don't like it - go and read up on it if you buy the bike.

Leo O'Reilly out in Drumcondra will look after anything you need for that bike.

Not a problem - bring the bike to an approved restrictor fitting centre (ring around Dublin bike shops) and for ~€250 they will fit a restrictor and give you a cert to document it. The CBR1000 is ideal for the job as it is easy to fit and easy to remove when you have passed your restriction period.

Make sure you get an insurance quote for the bike before you buy it - AON and Adelaide are currently best if you are a bit older (30's) and Quinn if you are younger. Avoid Carole Nash - I haven't heard much good about them.

My 41 yr old mate bought a restricted '91 VFR750 three months ago and paid €420 insurance with AON without any problems.

'cptr

Cheers pal,
    Great info there. I used Leo before for fixing up the 'Blade I had. He's at the back of Tesco isn't he?

I'm going to apply for the test this week and do it on my mates Steed 600. Once I get the full (fingers x's) I'll get the CBR 1000. I've read alot of things about them.

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

Cheers pal,
    Great info there. I used Leo before for fixing up the 'Blade I had. He's at the back of Tesco isn't he?

He's on Dorset St just beside the Canal. Every time I pass there I take a quick look. He used to have a camo kx250 or the like, was very tempted to stop in and see how much.... :D

shaner wrote: »
    He's on Dorset St just beside the Canal. Every time I pass there I take a quick look. He used to have a camo kx250 or the like, was very tempted to stop in and see how much.... :D

O yeh, I know that place. I was thinking about a guy at the back of the cat n cage pub up a lane way. He stuck street fighter handle bars on the blade I had a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

O yeh, I know that place. I was thinking about a guy at the back of the cat n cage pub up a lane way. He stuck street fighter handle bars on the blade I had a few years back.

I know there's one of the lads from NDM around Drumcondra way but didn't know he was by Church Avenue there (that's the side road the Cat & Cage is on).

Must get a set of renthals cheap of ebay soon while the sterling is still good. :cool:

The renthals on the blade were the dogs. That thing was a beast, I drove it into the ground!

Advertisement