Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Die another Day

Options
  • 21-11-2002 1:01pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Ahhh...give me a proper Bond film rather than that xXx tripe!

It's a typical bond movie - girls, gadgets, big explosions, slightly silly and predicatable plot. There were some plot holes, but really it's Bond what else do you expect

It was fairly enjoyable despite the rather silly invisible car and some annoying camera work. The set pieces were entertaining and suitably loud and flashy. Lots of terrible puns during the fights.

There were some nice touches for the real Bond fan - you see some of the old gadgets in storage and a couple of scenes are robbed from previous films.

Overall and enjoy nights entertainment, but it is not going to tax you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeh It was enjoyable, but the stunts were too over the top, even FOR BOND!
    The one were the sun was chasing him, and he went over the cliff in the turbo sky-boat thing. And he used the Parachute from it and then did some para-skiing with the shell from the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I saw this last night. I enjoyed it alot but I must make a few points.

Some bad points

- Some of the post production shots were absolute pants. The one where he's surfing after along the water with a parachut looks as if its taken right out of Goldeneye on the N64, my god, they should have just left it out altogether.

- Some nice slow mo shots ala John Woe, however, there were too many which I feel cheapened it.

- Story line was a bit pants in fairness.

- Not as good as The World Is Not enough.

- some good one liners and double meanings but total overkill, there were too many of them. Particularly the first conversation with Halle (yum yum ) Berry.

Good Points

- Halle Berry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ahhh, the lovely Hairy Belly....

hairy_belly_.jpg
    NYOM!

...definitely worth admission. Apart from that the film's entertaining enough... but who give's a sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

despite the rather silly invisible car

I thought that was quite clever actually! I mean at least we got a decent explanation as to how it works unlike something along the lines of Start Trek where all you hear is "cloak up" and a starship the size of ten Croke Parks (plus!) just disappears!
    but the disappearing act asside that car Rocks!!! you can buy actual working models of those! with a fully functioning ejection seat and everything!
    Lots of terrible puns during the fights.

bad puns are a quintessential part of Mr. Bond! In some ways hes not meant to be believable! I mena if a guy came up to me with some of his one liners id laugh in his face but James is James and pulls them off every time :P A Bond film would not be complete without a stock of cheesy double edged one liners!

I gotta say though his gadgets just get better and better! when himself and Halle jump outta the plane...I WANT one of those body board type thingies they used!!!!

and his ring is pretty nifty too! Twas nice that for once there was actually a female character who out did him! ( at the clinic at least!) I say Bravo to Halle.....but for different reasons to the rest of you Im afraid! her emerging from the water scene didnt exactly do owt for me!

Mr. Brosnan in a tux and extremely sexy car......now thats reason enough to see the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Originally posted by aine
    unlike something along the lines of Start Trek where all you hear is "cloak up" and a starship the size of ten Croke Parks (plus!) just disappears!

Star Trek is sci-fi, therefor "cloak up" works. Bond isn't. I thought the cloak was a bit much even with the explination. Just no-need :(

I gotta say though his gadgets just get better and better!

yea, but give me the old Conery days anytime... less gadgets more cool.

...more on Hairy Belly though, aparently there's talk of her getting her own spin-off movie(s?). I'd buy that for a dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

I thought it was excellent. As good as GoldenEye for me. Certainly the best since Goldeneye. The double entendres were quite good but some of the stunts were a bit over the top alright. Some bloke took a photo of the screen at the moment Halle Berry appeared. Couldnt help but laugh. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I enjoyed this one it was pretty good. The story was a bit weak but thats always been the way imo, loads of action and lovely ladies:)
    Originally posted by anthonymcg
    Some bloke took a photo of the screen at the moment Halle Berry appeared. Couldnt help but laugh. :)

Christ he musta never heard of the internet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Christ he musta never heard of the internet:D

if it wan'nt for people like him, we wouldnt have stuff like that on the interweb. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by TinCool

- Story line was a bit pants in fairness.

Ah Paul, who the hell goes to see a Bond movie for the story line? :) off to it tonight anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Not much on story, but action and cars and explosions (and chicks for the men :rolleyes: ) made up for it. Looks good on the big screen. Doubt it will be as good watching it on a TV, but hey who cares, I have a projector anyway.

One part that bothered me though, anal as it may be
    Helicopter falling out of a plane would not be able to start the blades up. That's just plain silly.

TinCool, I agree on the surfing part (near the end espesh). Flaky effects or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

When it was good (the opening 20 minutes) it was really good, when its was bad (the whole ungodly glacier incident) it was a turnip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Anyone seen the newest bond film yet?
    Went to see it yesturday, cinima was packed and ended up in a front row seat. Film was pretty good, not the best bond but not bad. It was a 'leave your brain at the entrance' kinda film, action from start to finish with no plausable plot. Still not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

just back from seeing it - changing lanes wasn't on so had to go to see BOND!
    It was very well directed with an excellent opening but christ, from then on it was...just another bond film i suppose. The plot was really bad...i mean, come on...a "second sun"!??!
    And once again, of course...bond comes out a winner and saves the day for a fantasticly dramatic end. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah it was good escapist fun.. Like pugsley said, leave your brain at the box office and you'll enjoy it.

Some criticisms I have were....

1. Some of the camera techniques (sudden speed ups then slow downs). Didn't really fit in with Bond...

2. Gustav Graves. Was it just me, or did you want to PUNCH that smug b*stard in the face? :)

3. Pun overload. Puns and double entendres are synonymous with James Bond, but MY GOD there were far too many of them in that movie (and a good chunk of them were awful and unfunny).

4. "Die another day" by Madonna. Worst James Bond theme EVER without exception. Its terrible.....

Good movie overall, though. I really liked Zhou as a bad guy, and the finale was excellent....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

All in all I found it to be pretty good, but I would agree with every bad comment made. You notice a huge contrast between the post production in the opening surf sequence and the mid way kite surf sequence. The opening scene you could almost take it for real water, while the other was so obviously computyer generated so as to be insulting. These days I find the plots to be far too thin and the pace to be too fast. You look at the older films and you were emersed in the culture of whatever country Bond visited, these days you get a brief glimse, an even briefer dialogue and off to the next location.

It is really sad to see how special effects and gadgets are taking over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by TmB
    4. "Die another day" by Madonna. Worst James Bond theme EVER without exception.
    Bloody right. Terrible, terrible, terrible shite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

No No No.....
    BLOODY CLOAK CAR!!! Its not startrek you know...
    Apart from the above I enjoyed it alot and is his best since goldeneye

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

eh lads, you did see the other thread right?

it's just about 3-7 posts down at the moment

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70941

heres a
    : your a muppet for starting a new one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think they farmed out the post-production to a few different places - and one of them ought to be brought out and shot. Not only was the second surfing sequence awful, but some of the really basic stuff, like bluescreening in the last action sequence, was woeful.

That aside... I really enjoyed it. Brosnan has settled into playing Bond with a hard edge, Berry was excellent and the Gustav Graves character was the best villian a Bond flick has had in a long time. The entire first section of the film - from the opening through the superb musical montage to the escape from custody - was one of the best sequences Bond has had in a long time.

I'd actually argue that the gadgets were leaned on less heavily in this than in the last couple of films - with the exception of the cars, and the whole car sequence was so well choreographed and directed that we can let them away with that one I think.

Heard some people on the way out of the cinema slagging it because the whole sattelite thing would never work... Interesting, then, that sattelites in space collecting solar energy and beaming it down to the planets surface is one of the more credible energy generation ideas being proposed by scientists at the moment. Still, I'm sure their girlfriends were vastly impressed by their scientific knowledge :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Slydice
    heres a
    : your a muppet for starting a new one ;)
    If you look his thread had been dead fir 2days when this thread was made, so i never seen his thread :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

As Bond films go, I thought it was good, about as good as any of the others, but I'm not really a huge fan.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Pugsley
    If you look his thread had been dead fir 2days when this thread was made, so i never seen his thread :p
    Ooooh....two entire day...ffs don't be so bloody lazy. Merging threads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

It just didn't seem to come together at all for me.

Apparently all the ugh, other guys who went with me found Miranda Frost to be far more appealing that Jynx (Halle Berry)...

The second surfing scene looked bloody awful! I was cringing in my seat... I mean honestly the quidditch effects in the first Harry Potter looked better - how long ago was that surfing scene made ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by NoelRock

Apparently all the ugh, other guys who went with me found Miranda Frost to be far more appealing that Jynx (Halle Berry)...

Watch your mouth young man, Ms Frost was the greatest.
    Originally posted by NoelRock
    The second surfing scene looked bloody awful! I was cringing in my seat... I mean honestly the quidditch effects in the first Harry Potter looked better - how long ago was that surfing scene made ffs?

Maybe they were trying some retro look?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... and when you consider that there were 2 surfing scenes in the movie, and the first one was great ??

Did they sack the CGI team before the second surfing scene?

- Dave.

Originally posted by TmB
    ... and when you consider that there were 2 surfing scenes in the movie, and the first one was great ??
    The 1st surfing scene was a stuntman in a wetsuit, the second one was CGI....... How can the 1st one have good CGI when there was none in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

I think the movie was made as an answer to xXx, and that was their mistake. James Bond is too good to answer to Vin Diesel.

I agree, the windsurfing on the tidal wave off the glacier was balls. The effects were crappy, and, even for Bond, it was far-fetched. All of the computer effects/time effects were unnecessary, again, Bond is too good for them. James Bond could never properly become 21st century, he is too suave and too non-PC. And that's the way Bond should be.

P.S. Jinx -- easiest Bond girl ever. Miranda Frost -- maybe the most beautiful ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finally saw it last night, and thought it kicked ar$e - definitely the best Brosnan Bond. Yes the second surfing sequence looked crap, but that was more than made up for by the car chase around/through the Ice Palace, and finally a decent finale to a Bond for the first time in years. Plus it had the best villain for a long time.

Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Die Another Day

Was crap, I saw the stunt wires and the background on the hovercraft was fake. Overall 1/5

Advertisement