Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salaries @ 2fm

• 18-03-2014 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Would Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning be on the same salary as before they got moved to the weekends ? What is their salary ? What is Lottie Ryan getting for her 2 hours at the weekends ? Would Will Leahy be getting travel and hotel costs for his trip to Dublin every Weekend ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

Would Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning be on the same salary as before they got moved to the weekends ? What is their salary ? What is Lottie Ryan getting for her 2 hours at the weekends ? Would Will Leahy be getting travel and hotel costs for his trip to Dublin every Weekend ?

You will never know, presenters fees seem to be closely guarded secret.

Think all salaries should be published, not only the top ten earners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

If they have contacts that were not up for renewal when they moved slots then they are perfectly entitled to be getting the same money.

Will Leahy will be getting enough money to make the job worth his while. You can break it down and say part of that money is used to pay costs if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

More Music wrote: »
    If they have contacts that were not up for renewal when they moved slots then they are perfectly entitled to be getting the same money.

Will Leahy will be getting enough money to make the job worth his while. You can break it down and say part of that money is used to pay costs if you want.

We can be fairly sure that anyone on 2fm is well looked after.

I love the way presenters in RTE are forensic in delving out others salaries and pensions,buy quite coy about their own...... uuuuhmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

We can be fairly sure that anyone on 2fm is well looked after.

Based on what, exactly?

Bard wrote: »
    Based on what, exactly?

Based on the fact that Colm Hayes is on just over €200k and fis former pal Jim*2 was on less than half that, €80-€90k perhaps, would feel safe extrapolating that the others are quite well paid too, don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Based on the fact that Colm Hayes is on just over €200k and fis former pal Jim*2 was on less than half that, €80-€90k perhaps, would feel safe extrapolating that the others are quite well paid too, don't you think?

Nope, I wouldn't say that this makes "anyone on 2fm" being on great money a safe assumption at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

One thing I've noticed about the Radio forum over the years... posters seem to be absolutely fascinated with what people are earning. I don't get it.

We can be fairly sure that anyone on 2fm is well looked after......

It's all relative isn't it.

People working on a national station would expect to earn more than those on a local station. So yes, in that sense they are "looked after". I would expect anybody to negotiate the best possible terms for themselves.

Pat Kenny is being well looked after over on Newstalk. I remember all the posts when he worked in RTE saying he wasn't worth it and would never survive in the "real commercial world". Newstalk think he's worth the money.

BTW, I don't really care what he or anybody else makes. I do worry about what I make but don't begrudge anybody their 6 figure deal.

Nope, I wouldn't say that this makes "anyone on 2fm" being on great money a safe assumption at all.

And the world is flat:D

By the way I am not 'begrudging' these people their salaries,I am merely stating wht everyone realises.

I would, however, say that,in my opinion,the salary scales are kept well hidden and based on the excoriation of the Rehab CE based on her companies receipt of taxpayers money,the same should apply to RTE I would suggest.

But of course the 'flat earthers' will always come out waving the vested interest flags.

Honesty and openness is all most people want.

I also have no interest in the salaries,

It the little things that go unnoticed that gets my back up. Just wonder how someone can continually point listeners towards their personal FB page during the show and not the official RTE FB page.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Mobile Dj;89540029]I also have no interest in the salaries,

It the little things that go unnoticed that gets my back up. Just wonder how someone can continually point listeners towards their personal FB page during the show and not the official RTE FB page.[/QUOTE]

Dj, nothing personal,but that is not a very sensible outlook.

People like this, factor in public apathy into their agenda,look a the hoo-haa over the charities recently reported on.

Yet for years the charity industry robustly defended their position until the cat was let out of the bag.

Then the whole rotten state of affairs was exposed .

The vested interests will always defend until the end, that's why it's important for ordinary peons like you and I to question and highlight these situations.

We may not always be right, but no harm shining a light into musty corners now and then,might disturb some well fed felines and force them to forage on more barren ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Thats a wrong assumption. National radio presenters, fairly high profile. No presenter is going to be working for €22k a year.

Dj, nothing personal,but that is not a very sensible outlook.

People like this, factor in public apathy into their agenda,look a the hoo-haa over the charities recently reported on.

Yet for years the charity industry robustly defended their position until the cat was let out of the bag.

Then the whole rotten state of affairs was exposed .

The vested interests will always defend until the end, that's why it's important for ordinary peons like you and I to question and highlight these situations.

We may not always be right, but no harm shining a light into musty corners now and then,might disturb some well fed felines and force them to forage on more barren ground.

Can't afford to advertise my gigs on national radio, why should a presenter be allowed to point people towards any site that is directly linked to their business, all presenters should be using an official page, where none of their private gigs are listed only official RTE related events.

They can earn what they want, no issues there as they have worked hard to get there and fair play... But the rules should be strictly adhered to eg..

"RTÉ presenters must not promote in their programmes commercial ventures that they are associated with or from which they stand to gain financially."

A private booking listed on the FB page would to me come under the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

hayes is on 200k per year? Jesus, for what, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

I think Hayes is on crazy money. IF 2FM fired him tomorrow he wouldn't get more than weekend cover work on 98fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I think Hayes is on crazy money. IF 2FM fired him tomorrow he wouldn't get more than weekend cover work on 98fm.

Offer Hayes 40k then see what he says .. if he says no where is he going to go ? Who in their right mind would even bother hire Hayes for a fraction of the money he's on? What has he got to offer a station that plenty of others couldnt for much less ? I'm open to correction but a 200k salary would pay 5 full time salaries in the private sector ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

RayM wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed about the Radio forum over the years... posters seem to be absolutely fascinated with what people are earning. I don't get it.

Well, when it comes to RTE I would like to know what the salaries are....because it comes out of my licence fee.

Is that true re Colm Hayes getting 200k PA?

Where else would he get that????

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Well, when it comes to RTE I would like to know what the salaries are....because it comes out of my licence fee.

Is that true re Colm Hayes getting 200k PA?

Where else would he get that????

I know, I know... I accept that some people get terribly annoyed about what their licence fee is spent on. I just find the constant obsession with money on the Radio forum quite bizarre. It extends to almost every thread.

I know, I know... I accept that some people get terribly annoyed about what their licence fee is spent on. I just find the constant obsession with money on the Radio forum quite bizarre.

Why is that?

Can you explain why you think that?

Why is that?

Can you explain why you think that?

Almost every thread on the Radio forum is full of comments about money. I just don't understand the obsession. I don't understand how people can remain perpetually outraged about what other people are earning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Because my fee goes towards his salary and i have never heard of him.

I can't help wondering if there should be a "Licence Fee" sub-forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

The licence fee means nothing, what should matter is does the advertising during the show cover all salaries related to it. That was always Gerry Ryans argument, he made 2fm money with the amount paid for advertising during his show, Joe Duffy has said the same in the past.

I have no problem with a big salary if it attracts big advertisers, its all relative really. Pay big salary and make it back in advertising or pay a small salary and miss out on advertising as who wants to advertise during or be involved with a show that has low ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

2fm has been loosing money since 2008, Two years before Gerry Ryan died. G ryans ratings were in rapid decline for some years before his death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

The licence fee means nothing, what should matter is does the advertising during the show cover all salaries related to it. That was always Gerry Ryans argument, he made 2fm money with the amount paid for advertising during his show, Joe Duffy has said the same in the past.

I have no problem with a big salary if it attracts big advertisers, its all relative really. Pay big salary and make it back in advertising or pay a small salary and miss out on advertising as who wants to advertise during or be involved with a show that has low ratings.

That point is routinely trotted out Claude.

Take Ryan though....and at the outset I would say he was a reasonably talented broadcaster..this guy had a primetime slot on National Radio with all the attendant promotion..if he could not generate advt revenue from that slot then there is sommat wrong in this posters opinion.

Duffy to be fair has not a prime time slot but has cleverly plugged into the grey "outraged " market and is milking it for all he is worth.

If Duffy were to leave tomorrow (happy days) and Damien whatshisface took over the advt revenue would still hold up.

Its the slot...not the jock !

But hey !.....when the fat cats in RTE are shelling out the moolah..it's not theirs...if they don't break even...hey...just up the licence fee.

The govt should allow no licence fee increase while part timers like Maid Marian are on 300k + a year.

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    .....If Duffy were to leave tomorrow (happy days) and Damien whatshisface took over the advt revenue would still hold up.

Its the slot...not the jock..........

The govt should allow no licence fee increase while part timers like Maid Marian are on 300k + a year.

Ah now I understand. If a show's JNLR ratings are bad it's the presenters fault and he/she should be fired or they're not worth the salary etc.

But if a show has a good JNLR (which in turns leads to higher advertising revenue) it's not really the presenter, it's the actual time slot.

You do make one sensible point about Marian Finuncane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I know, I know... I accept that some people get terribly annoyed about what their licence fee is spent on. I just find the constant obsession with money on the Radio forum quite bizarre. It extends to almost every thread.

I am not constantly obsessed.....but is a thread about salaries:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

That point is routinely trotted out Claude.

Take Ryan though....and at the outset I would say he was a reasonably talented broadcaster..this guy had a primetime slot on National Radio with all the attendant promotion..if he could not generate advt revenue from that slot then there is sommat wrong in this posters opinion.

OK, look at the current figures for the slot now versus what they were when Ryan was behind the microphone.
    Duffy to be fair has not a prime time slot but has cleverly plugged into the grey "outraged " market and is milking it for all he is worth.

If Duffy were to leave tomorrow (happy days) and Damien whatshisface took over the advt revenue would still hold up.

Duffy has a prime day time slot. It may not be morning/evening drive but a prime slot all the same right after the main lunch news.
    But hey !.....when the fat cats in RTE are shelling out the moolah..it's not theirs...if they don't break even...hey...just up the licence fee.

Anybody working in RTE is going to paid way in excess of the average industrial wage. Presenters who deliver audience - whether for commercial gain or as part of the public service remit - deserve to be handsomely rewarded. The salaries are probably higher than they should be but that's down to negotiation. If the presenters are deliverying the audience then they are in the driving seat when it comes to money.

Why? She's delivering over 350,000 listeners per day at the weekend?

Anyway, the sum that she is paid is reported to be south of 300k.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    OK, look at the current figures for the slot now versus what they were when Ryan was behind the microphone.

Duffy has a prime day time slot. It may not be morning/evening drive but a prime slot all the same right after the main lunch news.

Anybody working in RTE is going to paid way in excess of the average industrial wage. Presenters who deliver audience - whether for commercial gain or as part of the public service remit - deserve to be handsomely rewarded. The salaries are probably higher than they should be but that's down to negotiation. If the presenters are deliverying the audience then they are in the driving seat when it comes to money.

Let's try and cut through the chaff and get to the nub of things.

Ok

Anybody here think Marian Finucane is good value for the salary she gets.

Let's start there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Five Lamps wrote: »

South of France, no doubt.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How do they know this figure do they ask 350,000 people every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

That's the gravy Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and you base this on?
    and you base this on?
    you want public services you have to pay for them, sometimes taxes have to go up to pay for the likes of health education and so on, thats how it is, same for public service radio, better to have public service radio warts and all then not

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

and you base this on?

and you base this on?

you want public services you have to pay for them, sometimes taxes have to go up to pay for the likes of health education and so on, thats how it is, same for public service radio, better to have public service radio warts and all then not

Basing it on his opinion,which I think by Nd large is reasonable.

I don t think the debate is focussing on whether you have to pax taxes to support PSR the issue is how much it costs.

If you are happy the €300k is a reasonable salary to pay MsFinucane for 4 hrs radio a week with huge time off,good on ya,I'd say you are in a 1 percentile of the listening public who pay taxes.

There is NO WAY this is justified, not under ANY criterium.

• Advertisement

Basing it on his opinion,which I think by Nd large is reasonable.

I don t think the debate is focussing on whether you have to pax taxes to support PSR the issue is how much it costs.

If you are happy the €300k is a reasonable salary to pay MsFinucane for 4 hrs radio a week with huge time off,good on ya,I'd say you are in a 1 percentile of the listening public who pay taxes.

There is NO WAY this is justified, not under ANY criterium.
    she brings in a large amount of listeners and advertising, probably that brings in more then she gets payed, otherwise she wouldn't get that amount of money

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

she brings in a large amount of listeners and advertising, probably that brings in more then she gets payed, otherwise she wouldn't get that amount of money

There's little doubt that that is the justification. But is it correct? I suspect that Joe Duffy's slot would lose listeners were he to be replaced. But, Finucane's, along with Morning Ireland, are probably the premium slots in Irish Radio; much of her listenership (and, therefore, ad revenue) is likely the result of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This comes to mind......

93909e543411eef2e846af414ab7ddb28e08a115.png

The driver on the 22a bus probably brings in a lot more in fares over the week than he she is paid.

The check out person in Tesco Dundrum also does.

That argument is not valid.

The driver on the 22a bus probably brings in a lot more in fares over the week than he she is paid.

wrong, it is valid, Tesco or dublin bus is irrelevant to the radio industry, the radio industry works differently to these jobs, she gets payed the amount she is payed because she brings in large amounts of listeners and advertisers, and RTE feel she's worth that amount of money, just like how newstalk think pat kenny is worth the money (even though i wouldn't have seen a move to newstalk from RTE coming myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Apples and oranges. How does the check out person in Tesco drive revenue?

wrong, it is valid, Tesco or dublin bus is irrelevant to the radio industry, the radio industry works differently to these jobs, she gets payed the amount she is payed because she brings in large amounts of listeners and advertisers, and RTE feel she's worth that amount of money, just like how newstalk think pat kenny is worth the money (even though i wouldn't have seen a move to newstalk from RTE coming myself)

I think that commercial operators are also distinct from public service radio. RTE shouldn't pay presenters based on the sizes of their listenerships, but on what the reduction would be in their absence. We've seen little change (though the JNLRs are not yet fully representative) in O'Rourke's slot since Kenny left, which would suggest that his salary was unjustified, despite his (in my mind) undoubted excellence.

Aidric wrote: »
    Apples and oranges. How does the check out person in Tesco drive revenue?

You can dress it up as apples pears tangerines avocados anything you like.

Marian Finucanne's salary cannot be justified.

I'm not saying she is not adequate at what she has to do,but €300k for her output and level of expertise and competencies required to present what is basically a reactive magazine programme cannot compute.

You can call it coco nuts and cashew nuts if you like, that's the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good that you mention bottom line as that's what it boils down to. The RTE P&L isn't concerned with the perceived wisdom of online commentators. That said I agree that Marian could be pegged down a pay grade or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I think Joe Duffy is the Exception to the rule here. The slot he's in is not that attractive yet he does pull in the audience. If he left that audience would drift away. It would take a year or more to judge properly but it would probably halve.

Anyone Who's on between 7.00 and 1.30 on any of the Nationals needs to be pulling in big numbers to justify a NORMAL salary. People are going to listen to RTE Radio One at those times, they have been doing so for decades. Sean O Rourke Replaced Pat and we'll probably see a few thousand dropped from the show over 12 months but he'll still have 80 to 90 percent of the audience.

2FM figures are ridiculously low for a National station. If you put any of the top 10 local broadcasters on a National frequency say between 9 and 11 they'd do a lot better.

I accept that people should be paid well but everyone is replaceable, especially in such a small Market. A cap of €100,000 should be put on all broadcasters in RTE. If they can do better elsewhere, well good luck to them. (one or two will, the rest will be very disappointed!)

I think Joe Duffy is the Exception to the rule here. The slot he's in is not that attractive yet he does pull in the audience. If he left that audience would drift away. It would take a year or more to judge properly but it would probably halve.

Anyone Who's on between 7.00 and 1.30 on any of the Nationals needs to be pulling in big numbers to justify a NORMAL salary. People are going to listen to RTE Radio One at those times, they have been doing so for decades. Sean O Rourke Replaced Pat and we'll probably see a few thousand dropped from the show over 12 months but he'll still have 80 to 90 percent of the audience.

2FM figures are ridiculously low for a National station. If you put any of the top 10 local broadcasters on a National frequency say between 9 and 11 they'd do a lot better.

I accept that people should be paid well but everyone is replaceable, especially in such a small Market. A cap of €100,000 should be put on all broadcasters in RTE. If they can do better elsewhere, well good luck to them. (one or two will, the rest will be very disappointed!)

At last some sense and some reality.

Linking a persons salary or trying to justify a presenters salary purely on ad revenue pulled in during the show is ,I won't say stupid in the extreme, lets be kind and say seriously challenged.

I agree with quite a lot of what you say.

I think, though, that you overstate O'Rourke's potential losses. And your argument for a €100k cap ignores two things: first, as some presenters have larger commitments than others, that would have to be recognised by having a higher salary. Such a low cap would mean weekend presenters like Colm O'Mongain, say, could be on ~€40k. Second, while it may not lead to an exodus, it will act as a disincentive to talent.

I agree with quite a lot of what you say.

I think, though, that you overstate O'Rourke's potential losses. And your argument for a €100k cap ignores two things: first, as some presenters have larger commitments than others, that would have to be recognised by having a higher salary. Such a low cap would mean weekend presenters like Colm O'Mongain, say, could be on ~€40k. Second, while it may not lead to an exodus, it will act as a disincentive to talent.

Well when I say a cap of €100,000 that's for a full weeks work (between 35 and 40 hours a week) They don't have to be presenting all that time, I understand research and show prep. However, it's impossible to justify the likes of Finucane who is probably doing 16 hours work a week (And that's being very generous!) and just before anyone says it, reading the papers all week is not work. If she needs to be paid to stay up to date, she needs to retire!

O Rourke might not lose any listeners at all. However, that's the problem with that slot. Pats figures down through the years were up and down 50,000 and more. As long as you broadcast something decent on that slot and that station the leadership remains remarkable steady.

I think a lot of talent is not used in this country because the likes of Marian won't move on!

Well when I say a cap of €100,000 that's for a full weeks work (between 35 and 40 hours a week) They don't have to be presenting all that time, I understand research and show prep. However, it's impossible to justify the likes of Finucane who is probably doing 16 hours work a week (And that's being very generous!) and just before anyone says it, reading the papers all week is not work. If she needs to be paid to stay up to date, she needs to retire!

O Rourke might not lose any listeners at all. However, that's the problem with that slot. Pats figures down through the years were up and down 50,000 and more. As long as you broadcast something decent on that slot and that station the leadership remains remarkable steady.

I think a lot of talent is not used in this country because the likes of Marian won't move on!

That point about keeping-up-to-date not being salaried is something which Finucane hasn't grasped. Here is a quote in the Indo from a few years ago:
    She said there were "endless hours of research" for her shows, which run from 11am until 1pm on Saturday and Sunday on RTE Radio 1.

"My radio goes on at seven o'clock in the morning and when I'm finished with Vincent Browne (on TV3 at night) I go on to the international channels. That is all part of what I do. I would think it was funny if it didn't make me cross, but I don't think anybody believes that (I only work four hours) anyway," said Ms Finucane.

Fair enough about talent under-utilisation. But, excessively low salaries deter that talent.

excessively low salaries deter that talent.

€100,000 is not excessively low and there's a lot to be said for security, and if people can get more they should move on and be successful. Not having an oppertunity to broadcast because someone wants to hang on for another 10 years on Saturday and Sunday is a lot worse for talent. (Can't blame Marian, I'd do the same if the money was been thrown at me!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement