Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LW RECEPTION

• 15-11-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭

In Waterford love cricket on five live sports extra, out of contrast I just tried LW it had shocking buzzing on it . Has LW reception got worse recently!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It can vary greatly, I'm sure there is something electrical creating a layer of noise in the cities environs which comes and goes.

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Town centres, hotels, train stations, petrol stations all play havoc with my BBC LW reception, once clear the signal picks up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

mike65 wrote: »
    It can vary greatly, I'm sure there is something electrical creating a layer of noise in the cities environs which comes and goes.

Where are you?
    Newtown road area can hardly pick up radio 4 LW , normally listen on smartphone anyways , but just noticed major noise going up and down the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sometimes there is something that sounds almost mechanical, a thrumming which blots everything bar RTE1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five live is on mw... Generally quite poor reception on 693

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MYOB wrote: »
    Five live is on mw... Generally quite poor reception on 693

It varies from hour to hour, I have 693 and 909 programmed on two buttons on the car radio and I just flip between the two depending on which is better at any given time.

The main transmitters which we would be picking up over here would be Droitwich (693 kHz, 150kW) 25 kms SW of Birmingham and Moorside Edge (909 kHz, 200 kW), 28 kms NE of Manchester.

Lisnagarvey near the Sprucefield shopping Centre in Lisburn transmits the 909 kHz signal, it's a 10 kW transmitter.

On the east coast you can also pick up a transmitter (Tywyn, 1kW) on the Welsh Irish Sea coast, roughly in the centre of Cardigan Bay, it transmits R5 Live on 990 kHz - that's not a typo, nine, nine, zero.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio/medium_long_wave.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

coylemj wrote: »
    It varies from hour to hour, I have 693 and 909 programmed on two buttons on the car radio and I just flip between the two depending on which is better at any given time.

The main transmitters which we would be picking up over here would be Droitwich (693 kHz, 150kW) 25 kms SW of Birmingham and Moorside Edge (909 kHz, 200 kW), 28 kms NE of Manchester.

Lisnagarvey near the Sprucefield shopping Centre in Lisburn transmits the 909 kHz signal, it's a 10 kW transmitter.

On the east coast you can also pick up a transmitter (Tywyn, 1kW) on the Welsh Irish Sea coast, roughly in the centre of Cardigan Bay, it transmits R5 Live on 990 kHz - that's not a typo, nine, nine, zero.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio/medium_long_wave.shtml

Many thanks Coylemj ,
    Great post i always listen to 5live both in the car and at home i use 909 and get good reception. in Crumlin and Tallaght

i also listen to talksport on 1089 but signal is not as strong

Love the medium wave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

I've been listening to BBC radio 4 on 198 LW for some time, but for the past couple of days the reception has been appalling. Anyone else found the same or is it just local to me? There was a rumour at one point that they'd be discontinuing the 198 LW service so I'm wondering if that's what happened, but I can't see confirmation of it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

radia wrote: »
    I've been listening to BBC radio 4 on 198 LW for some time, but for the past couple of days the reception has been appalling. Anyone else found the same or is it just local to me? There was a rumour at one point that they'd be discontinuing the 198 LW service so I'm wondering if that's what happened, but I can't see confirmation of it anywhere.
    I think the BBC stated that once the existing stock of spare valves were used up, the LW service would be discontinued. May be a few years yet to go.
    Reception here in the midlands is same as usual,. Keep in mind that almost all modern electronics like battery chargers, unfiltered PC power supplies, etc interfere with MW/LW reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rock Solid

I was on holiday near Malaga this year and had a long wave digital pll radio with me, I was able too hear Rte one on 252 LW at night after sunset there was also another station on same frequency but Rte seemed stronger, when I went down past Barcelona it was worse and the other station grew stronger, BBC Radio 4 on 198 LW was very clear, also on the west of France Rte is clear on 252 LW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Justfolk

I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, in eastern Newfoundland. Except for local navigational beacons, there've never been any LW stations in my own region.

Twenty-odd years ago, in late afternoons and early evenings, I used to receive LW broadcast stations from Ireland, Britain, Germany and France. This was only when the days got short, say early November until February. This year, I have been checking since a month ago (late October) and have not received any signal at all.

I'll keep checking, and I hope the broadcasters do not shut down the remaining stations. A little power can go a long way, even on the LW bands.

Rock Solid wrote: »
    I was on holiday near Malaga this year and had a long wave digital pll radio with me, I was able too hear Rte one on 252 LW at night after sunset there was also another station on same frequency but Rte seemed stronger, when I went down past Barcelona it was worse and the other station grew stronger, BBC Radio 4 on 198 LW was very clear, also on the west of France Rte is clear on 252 LW

There's an Algerian station on 252 and this plays havoc with RTÉ at night in some parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

bob50 wrote: »
    Many thanks Coylemj ,
    Great post i always listen to 5live both in the car and at home i use 909 and get good reception. in Crumlin and Tallaght

i also listen to talksport on 1089 but signal is not as strong

Love the medium wave

I find the reception on 990 better that 909 in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

coylemj wrote: »
    I find the reception on 990 better that 909 in Dublin

The 990kHz transmitter is now run on substantially lower power than in the past (since you posted this). I assume this power reduction was done to get BBC 5 Live listeners switch to DAB from a degraded MW signal, in the area of Wales mainly covered by that transmitter. Around the Cardigan Bay area of Wales probably has relatively good DAB coverage from the Blaenplwyf transmitter and others. 990 is hardly a good daytime signal on the east coast of Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

For BBC Radio 4, I find that (in the car at least) that 720khz MW is better than 198Khz LW. It is a relay of the Long Wave version (so it has the cricket!). Gets a bit ropey at night but through the day and around Dublin I find it surprisingly good. As Antenna above says, reception of BBC 5 Live on 990khz has deteriorated considerably in the last year or two.

Simon

I don't think it has been mentioned on this board but there are going to be considerable outages to the main BBC R4 LW transmitter on 198kHz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item30.html
    From Saturday 29th March until June/July, 2014 the BBC Radio 4 LW Droitwich transmitter will be subject to daily shutdowns between 10:00-17:30hrs. As the work will take place between 10.00 and 17.30 the long-wave only Yesterday in Parliament and Daily Service programmes will continue to be transmitted normally each day. In addition, we have planned the work to ensure Test Match Special coverage is not affected. However, the LW only shipping forecast at 12.01 will not be available.

As some people may know there are also two lower powered BBC R4 LW transmitters also on the same frequency in Scotland in a SFN, the nearer of the two, a transmitter roughly between Glasgow and Edinburgh, will to some extent be useable in Ireland especially in northern parts of the country, when the main 198kHz transmitter is off.
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/westerglen/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

How far into the ROI does the 720 kHz MW transmitter at Lisnagarvey (near Lisburn) get ?

There's also the Radio 4 MW transmitter on 774 kHz near Enniskillen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    How far into the ROI does the 720 kHz MW transmitter at Lisnagarvey (near Lisburn) get ?

There's also the Radio 4 MW transmitter on 774 kHz near Enniskillen.

It's coming in loud and clear here in north Co Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I find that car and home radios post 1997 are not great for MW and LW.

Get an old radio with these frequencies and the reception can be 100% and LOUD!

Karsini wrote: »
    There's an Algerian station on 252 and this plays havoc with RTÉ at night in some parts.

Algeria 252kHz is reported off air since March 17th !, do not know why, but this means RTE currently has a very clear channel at night on 252 for long distance reception.

I checked myself last night here in the south of the country, no sign of Algeria on 252 under RTE

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    Algeria 252kHz is reported off air since March 17th !, do not know why, but this means RTE currently has a very clear channel at night on 252 for long distance reception.

I checked myself last night here in the south of the country, no sign of Algeria on 252 under RTE

This, maybe?

http://www.transradio.de/index.php/en/news/154-tda-tipaza

Looks like a TX upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Antenna wrote: »

Wish Algeria would move freq or go QRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

radia wrote: »

I listen to BBC Radio Four in the south east, no trouble with reception. I find some electrical appliances such as my broadband router can interfere with it. Keep the radio well away from other electrical items and try moving it in different directions. My 60 year old valve radio picks up LW no bother!

Advertisement