Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death notices - only in Ireland?

• 15-04-2014 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Is Ireland the only country in the world to have death notices on the radio?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rural stations in the US do it. Critical income stream for some what with placement fees and a premium rate listen-back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

They are called the non runners list in some parts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

makes great radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard the local radio station in the NW costs €150 to list a death notice.

Good business for them if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can't say if they do it on the station itself, but this radio station in Argentina lists them on their website (as do local stations here). And if one station does it ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Sunhill wrote: »
    Talking of death notices; look at the grammar and spelling of this one on RIP.IE this morning:

http://www.rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=223020/PaulO%20BRIEN/Kilbrittain/Cork

Not an easy read, that. I presume that's sent in by a family member, or lifted from a newspaper etc? It wasn't written by rip.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

The following listeners are dead ...

Seriously though it's hugely popular amongst the living and a great driver of traffic to station web sites as well.

Sent in by the undertaker usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

Oh, dear. I deleted my post immediately because I found that the errors had been fixed. Here is the original notice:

O' Brien, Cork and Kilbrittain ,On april 15th 2014 peacefully in the presence of his loving family, Paul late of Lorretto, Hartlands, Avenue ,Cork and Kilbrittain ,sadly missed by his loving wife Frances and family, brother's ,sister's,nephew's ,niece's relatives and friends may he rest in peace. lying in respose in Bolster's funeral home Bandon on this Wednesday evening from 5pm with removal at 6pm to St Patricks church Kilbrittain ,followed by rosary in church.liturgy of the word on thursday at 12 o clock followed by buriel in St Olivers cemetary Ballincollig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Sunhill wrote: »
    Oh, dear. I deleted my post immediately because I found that the errors had been fixed. Here is the original notice:

O' Brien, Cork and Kilbrittain ,On april 15th 2014 peacefully in the presence of his loving family, Paul late of Lorretto, Hartlands, Avenue ,Cork and Kilbrittain ,sadly missed by his loving wife Frances and family, brother's ,sister's,nephew's ,niece's relatives and friends may he rest in peace. lying in respose in Bolster's funeral home Bandon on this Wednesday evening from 5pm with removal at 6pm to St Patricks church Kilbrittain ,followed by rosary in church.liturgy of the word on thursday at 12 o clock followed by buriel in St Olivers cemetary Ballincollig

I'd imagine that grammar is figuring pretty lowly on the families priority list at the moment.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that grammar is figuring pretty lowly on the families priority list at the moment.

Its extremely unlikely the family wrote it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Annnnnnnnd the death noticessssssssss for Gollllllllllllllwaaaaaaaaaaay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Older folk like to listen in, and get a kick out of not hearing their own names mentioned.

Costs about e130, seen as a nice goodwill gesture to the bereaved's peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

This is also probably linked to the very high cost of publishing Death Notices in newspapers. Also the fact that many people don't buy a daily newspaper anymore.

I know a few friends who have been bereaved in recent years and haven't bothered with the newspapers at all, just the local radio notice.

In my local station ,once arrangements have been agreed with the family, the notice is sent in by the undertaker for broadcast over a specified number of days.

Anything that's typed and put up on a station's website will have been typed by a station employee, not all of whom may be 100% on grammar or punctuation or the spelling of local townlands or addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Personally, I would find it upsetting to find the death notice of a family member or friend posted here in order for grammar errors to be pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

MYOB wrote: »
    Sent in by the undertaker usually.
    The undertaker, the last man that'll let you down!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The only people I know that listen to the death notices are elderly people. Possibly because they may be out of touch with the rest of the wider community.

I don't listen to them.

Advertisement