Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salaries @ 2fm

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

As long as you broadcast something decent on that slot and that station the leadership remains remarkable steady.

Don't underestimate the set in their ways listenership in Ireland. The same filters through to politics unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

€100,000 is not excessively low and there's a lot to be said for security, and if people can get more they should move on and be successful. Not having an oppertunity to broadcast because someone wants to hang on for another 10 years on Saturday and Sunday is a lot worse for talent. (Can't blame Marian, I'd do the same if the money was been thrown at me!)

I agree that €100k isn't. But, as I said before, having the upper limit at that would necessitate the average being much lower. Can we agree on this, then: all but a handful of presenters should be on ~€100k or less - ie what they could likely get were they to defect to a newspaper?! As well as the handful of exceptional presenters (I would include Kenny, Byrne, O'Rourke in that category), I think that entertainers with proven ratings-pulling abilities should be able to earn more (but with short contracts).

Something perverse about RTE's highest salaried was that you had Kenny, Finucane, O'Callaghan in the top tier in terms of salary. In the UK, the most distinguished news broadcasters - Humphrys, Marr, Paxman - are on a fraction of what Graham Norton earns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think a lot of talent is not used in this country because the likes of Marian won't move on!
    Not having an oppertunity to broadcast because someone wants to hang on for another 10 years on Saturday and Sunday is a lot worse for talent.

but maybe the type of talent RTE would need for such shows isn't there, or their isn't enough of it, thats not saying their isn't talent out there, their is, but sometimes a certain type of person is needed for a particular show, meaning you can't just put anybody in the slot

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

but maybe the type of talent RTE would need for such shows isn't there, or their isn't enough of it, thats not saying their isn't talent out there, their is, but sometimes a certain type of person is needed for a particular show, meaning you can't just put anybody in the slot

That's a very reasonable reply. However, Marian is well beyond her prime at this stage. Plus she only appears to do between 60 and 70 of the 100 or so shows a year. In the other thirty shows i'm sure the audience doesn't drop (it might even go up). By the way I'm not been ageist or anything, she just appears to be disinterested a lot of the time and just gliding along. You can do that at 30 or at 80.

I think there is the talent there, but it's not likely to get a chance if you keep putting Marian and Co on year after year. You see the same issue in the USA. The Baby Boomer generation won't retire or change jobs, like their parents and grandparents did. There's a huge amount of people in the 30's and 40's who are fully qualified but can't get the work because the previous generation won't move on.

A Certain Newsreader I admire has complained that he will only get short term or no contracts from RTE now that he's 65. Now I think he's very talented at that particular job, but if he stays on at it, when will the next generation ever get their chance?

Again totally different rules in the private sector. It's also not an age thing. I would have no problem with someone new starting at 65 and broadcasting for 20 years. It's those in RTE that have been at it for decades, and want big salaries just because they've put in the time.

I think there is the talent there, but it's not likely to get a chance if you keep putting Marian and Co on year after year. You see the same issue in the USA. The Baby Boomer generation won't retire or change jobs, like their parents and grandparents did. There's a huge amount of people in the 30's and 40's who are fully qualified but can't get the work because the previous generation won't move on.
    and that is how it should be, the older generation have the experience, if i'm an employer who would i rather ? keep the current staff and their experience or employ somebody younger but less experienced? for me experience wins hands down, if it gets to the stage they can't work then i will have no option but to take on less experienced staff but while i've got the more experienced staff i will keep them, sure i'm probably one of few like that but its about seeing value in staff and the more experience you've got the more your company is likely to do well, so why would you throw it away? i'm sure some do but i don't understand it myself.
    A Certain Newsreader I admire has complained that he will only get short term or no contracts from RTE now that he's 65. Now I think he's very talented at that particular job, but if he stays on at it, when will the next generation ever get their chance?
    they will get it when they earn it, and when the current staff decide to retire or pass away, but more then likely when they earn it, thats the reality of the industry, being young or a graduate doesn't "entitle" one to a job (all though one is entitled to work) i'm not suggesting its right or wrong but i think its worth putting that point out there.

I agree with a lot of what you say end of the road However, this is one of the first generations for this to happen. In the past people in their 50s and 60's did tend to retire and die off. Now we have people who can live productive lives into their 70's and beyond. It was much rarer in the past.

Those that are now in their 60's did get chances in their 20's.30's and even 40's that the current crop aren't getting.

I 100% agree with you that being young or a graduate doesn't "entitle" one to a job. It does annoy me the sense of entitlement some have. They expect it all before they're 30. However, I can also see the legitimate issues those that in their 20's and 30's have when they see people in jobs just because they've been around for a while. There are many in RTE and other semi state companies that can't be fired or moved on because they just managed to stick around. I've seen it myself. Good Managers look for places were these types do the least amount of damage.

However, in the private sector this kind of thing doesn't go on as much. If you don't have the talent or the experience you don't get to do the work. You need one or another or usually both to move forward, In RTE it seems that you need a pulse and to be able to turn up on time to keep a job.

That of course not everyone in RTE, there are many talented people in there but I am aware that some of them would agree with the points Im making. They're just as frustrated.

The Newsreader I admire is a fine speaker, and if he wants to get work elsewhere he won't have a problem. However, I know many who are in their 30's that are as good as him. If it were a private Station I would have no problem with him continuing on forever if that's what the market wanted. But it is different when license fee money is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Joe Duffy is on 400k per year isn't he?or near enough to that.

tippspur wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is on 400k per year isn't he?or near enough to that.

€300k - which includes the odd TV documentary.

Older broadcasters needn't be put out to stud. But, rotation is healthy. There is little difference between Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke, Audrey Carville, Claire Byrne, Aine Lawlor, and a rotation between them wouldn't effect the product.

To clarify, I don't propose that Sean O'Rourke fill-in on Morning Ireland while Claire Byrne fills in on Drivetime. What I mean is that there should be a large and competent panel of younger sub-presenters who could regularly fill-in across the schedule. Other than Keelin Shanley, there aren't many who could.

RTE dedicates many shows to a single presenter: Today with Sean O'Rourke, Saturday with Claire Byrne, John Murray Show, Sunday with Miriam, Ronan Collins Show, Marian Finucane Show, etc. Doing so prevents seamless rotation. By calling the breakfast show Morning Ireland, RTE emphasises the brand rather than the presenters. Try this: can you name all four members of the Morning Ireland panel of hosts?

The problem for RTE iwth doing that is that not a lot distinguishes Morning Ireland, Today with..., and Drivetime. MI has more bulletins and is more earnest and Today with... has more (of what I loosely describe as) Culture. But, ultimately each is feeding out of the same barrel of news, so a distinct identity is hard to create without linking the show to a presenter.

• Advertisement

Those that are now in their 60's did get chances in their 20's.30's and even 40's that the current crop aren't getting.
    thats how it has to be though, RTE isn't going to let go their current staff just to give younger people a job, thats not how they work, they work on familiarity (so does the commercial sector to an extent)
    in the private sector this kind of thing doesn't go on as much. If you don't have the talent or the experience you don't get to do the work. You need one or another or usually both to move forward.
    and rightly so, you don't want to be giving the jobs to people who just can't do them.
    If it were a private Station I would have no problem with him continuing on forever if that's what the market wanted. But it is different when license fee money is involved.
    its not different though, RTE is a broadcaster just like the commercial stations, its not its job to simply be there to give younger people a job, its there to broadcast, get listeners, and get advertising (whether they should get advertising is another debate best left to another thread) younger people have to earn a chance of working in RTE just like the commercial sector, as said RTE isn't going to get rid of its older staff to give younger people a chance thats how it (and many of the commercial sector stations) work, yes its not fair to those wanting to work in radio but who can't get in the door, but it is the way it is for a reason

its not different though, RTE is a broadcaster just like the commercial stations, its not its job to simply be there to give younger people a job, its there to broadcast, get listeners, and get advertising (whether they should get advertising is another debate best left to another thread) younger people have to earn a chance of working in RTE just like the commercial sector, as said RTE isn't going to get rid of its older staff to give younger people a chance thats how it (and many of the commercial sector stations) work, yes its not fair to those wanting to work in radio but who can't get in the door, but it is the way it is for a reason

I don't disagree when they're talented and experienced, but when they're only on air because they've been around a long time, then there's an issue. It would be unfair to name anyone on that list, but I know I could select a good few that are on air that aren't up to the job.

RTE is unique as well. Pat left his show and there will probably be no downturn what so ever in the listenership. As long as you put on someone who is talented and experienced you will get the listenership to stay. Pat leaving RTE and Sean replacing him has saved RTE about 1/4 million euro a year. There are a few others that could take either a huge pay cut or be replaced and RTE could save another Million or 2. I'm not saying let them go, I'm saying paying for the talent at real market rates.

With the Millions saved you could start a new station where you could foster talent for the years to come. The only person on RTE that might break that rule (as he brings in adverts and listeners at a very awkward time) is Joe Duffy.

It would be unfair to name anyone on that list...

Don't be a pussy!! Name names!!

Don't be a pussy!! Name names!!

You don't name names because of the public forum this is. However, You're an intelligent individual. Look at the schedule on the three RTE national stations, there are certain people on certain stations that stick out like sore thumbs (that's on all three networks)

There are others that are getting Salaries that they wouldn't get at the BBC and they're getting ratings that almost as low as local radio Stations.

You don't name names because of the public forum this is. However, You're an intelligent individual. Look at the schedule on the three RTE national stations, there are certain people on certain stations that stick out like sore thumbs (that's on all three networks)

There are others that are getting Salaries that they wouldn't get at the BBC and they're getting ratings that almost as low as local radio Stations.

I've no idea whom you could be referring to! They all seem exceptionally talented to me. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Look !

The old refrain from RTE was/is that we have to pay these outrageous rates to keep our top talent.!

Kenny left because Newstalk were desperate get a larger profile across the country.

Did the Sky fall in ? Was/is there a mass exodus of top talent to other radio stations...No Sir!

Kenny was replaced By SO'R and he was replaced by Richard Crowley...all doing good and competent jobs in my opinion.

A number of excellent current affairs presenters have emerged...notably Claire Byrne / Keelan Shanley / Audrey Carvill and Mc Cullogh is doing a competent job on Prime Time.

So even if a star leaves...there are plenty to replace them...and no need to pay the obscene salaries that RTE management award from our taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    Look !

The old refrain from RTE was/is that we have to pay these outrageous rates to keep our top talent.!

Kenny left because Newstalk were desperate get a larger profile across the country.

Did the Sky fall in ? Was/is there a mass exodus of top talent to other radio stations...No Sir!

Kenny was replaced By SO'R and he was replaced by Richard Crowley...all doing good and competent jobs in my opinion.

A number of excellent current affairs presenters have emerged...notably Claire Byrne / Keelan Shanley / Audrey Carvill and Mc Cullogh is doing a competent job on Prime Time.

So even if a star leaves...there are plenty to replace them...and no need to pay the obscene salaries that RTE management award from our taxes.

Cannot argue with that A.J

not paying the amount they pay means more of a risk of these people leaving, better to try keep them then run the risk, who's to say that in the future RTE may not offer kenny more for a return?

not paying the amount they pay means more of a risk of these people leaving, better to try keep them then run the risk, who's to say that in the future RTE may not offer kenny more for a return?

It's true, not paying them the amount they pay means they're very unlikely to leave. However, almost everyone on 2FM could be replaced in the Morning with Staff from other stations for half the wages or less, And those staff members are better broadcasters who have a lot more listeners in their various areas. 2FM is very much the station of last resort when you can't pick up anything else. If you look at the figures it's strongest were there is little competition.

There is no way that they will ever offer Kenny the amount Newstalk are paying him. That's a whole FU RTE from Dennis O Brien. Once this contract is over Pat will be 70 or over. He will want to retire or semi retire. The amount of money he earned was obscene. Not blaming him though, fair play he got away with it for so long.

It's true, not paying them the amount they pay means they're very unlikely to leave. However, almost everyone on 2FM could be replaced in the Morning with Staff from other stations for half the wages or less, And those staff members are better broadcasters who have a lot more listeners in their various areas. 2FM is very much the station of last resort when you can't pick up anything else. If you look at the figures it's strongest were there is little competition.

There is no way that they will ever offer Kenny the amount Newstalk are paying him. That's a whole FU RTE from Dennis O Brien. Once this contract is over Pat will be 70 or over. He will want to retire or semi retire. The amount of money he earned was obscene. Not blaming him though, fair play he got away with it for so long.

Lol, guys - don't we ever sleep?!

It wasn't the case for the most recent book, but for the Q3 JNLRs Today FM bettered 2FM in every slot!

My understanding is that Kenny is on €400k with potential for bonuses. That's about in-line with what RTE would have offered. One big incentive from Newstalk was that he was offered a five year contract.

The reality is that there are only two non-RTE national stations in the country (ie ones that could justify a big-name presenter): INM's Newstalk and Today FM - it would be very unlikely if it made financial sense for NT to break the bank again and Today FM, though they have Cooper, are primarily focused on Music and Entertainment. TV3 is a possibility, but they pay very little. UTV, however, could prove the destination of another defector. But, it remains that there are a very limited number of potential high-paying offers.

I very much enjoy Radio 1's output, and greatly admire several of its presenters, but I'm not sure I'd mourn the loss of any! Many command respect, but none devotion.

Lol, guys - don't we ever sleep?!

It wasn't the case for the most recent book, but for the Q3 JNLRs Today FM bettered 2FM in every slot!

My understanding is that Kenny is on €400k with potential for bonuses. That's about in-line with what RTE would have offered. One big incentive from Newstalk was that he was offered a five year contract.

The reality is that there are only two non-RTE national stations in the country (ie ones that could justify a big-name presenter): INM's Newstalk and Today FM - it would be very unlikely if it made financial sense for NT to break the bank again and Today FM, though they have Cooper, are primarily focused on Music and Entertainment. TV3 is a possibility, but they pay very little. UTV, however, could prove the destination of another defector. But, it remains that there are a very limited number of potential high-paying offers.

I very much enjoy Radio 1's output, and greatly admire several of its presenters, but I'm not sure I'd mourn the loss of any! Many command respect, but none devotion.

TV3 rates are well below anything decent, in fact they're the opposite of RTE. Many of their Staff are underpaid by any measure. However, they'd be slow to leave because there aren't that many opportunities out there, even for talented broadcasters

UTV is the only one that would pay normal rates. That's because they have shareholders to report to. If you do a good job, you get a good wage. I think they'd be eager to hire Pat but at a very reduced rate. However, He might take it because there is more to broadcasting than money, especially when you already have secured a 5 year contract.

I also enjoy RTE Radio 1, but I also Enjoy BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio 4 and 5, NPR from America and other speech broadcasters. Of the lot of them RTE tend to pay more than the rest, even if RTE has a small audience in international terms.

(I haven't the luxury of time to sleep as there's too much radio to listen to:D)

Just to point out that If 2FM were a proper commercial Station there would have been lots of lay offs at this stage. It's listenership figures are shocking for what it is.

• Advertisement

I think they'd be eager to hire Pat but at a very reduced rate. However, He might take it...

I also enjoy RTE Radio 1, but I also Enjoy BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio 4 and 5, NPR from America and other speech broadcasters. Of the lot of them RTE tend to pay more than the rest, even if RTE has a small audience in international terms.

Just to point out that If 2FM where a proper commercial Station it would have been lots of lay offs at this stage.

Ah, come on - he's good...but, he's not divine! :D

I'm a R4 junkie, as well - surely the high-brow equivalent of crack!

Not an original point, but I'd have less problem with 2FM losing money if it played good music. Instead, like an ineffectual chameleon, it mimics everything around it, satisfying no one.

Ah, come on - he's good...but, he's not divine! :D

I'm a R4 junkie, as well - surely the high-brow equivalent of crack!

Not an original point, but I'd have less problem with 2FM losing money if it played good music. Instead, like an ineffectual chameleon, it mimics everything around it, satisfying no one.

Isn't he??? :D

Radio 4 is great and a lot of people listen to it in Ireland, but several Broadcasters here would prefer if that wasn't common knowledge. The other two stations that have a lot of traction in the Republic are BBC Radio 5 and Talksport. Now Talksport is not my cup of tea at all but I've a lot of friends that listen to it.

I'd agree with you about 2FM. There are a lot of people employed in that station producing very little.

Isn't he??? :D

Radio 4 is great and a lot of people listen to it in Ireland, but several Broadcasters here would prefer if that wasn't common knowledge. The other two stations that have a lot of traction in the Republic are BBC Radio 5 and Talksport. Now Talksport is not my cup of tea at all but I've a lot of friends that listen to it.

I'd agree with you about 2FM. There are a lot of people employed in that station producing very little.

Though it sometimes seems as if he thinks so...no, he isn't!

I'm surprised - I'm aware of very few who listen to UK radio, beyond the odd podcast. Certainly, RTE would rather its listeners horizons remained narrow!
    I've no evidence for this, but I imagine a lot of (most?) radio listening is done in the car. When the "entertainment systems" within cars are connected to the internet, RTE's competition suddenly expands massively - internet radio, podcasts, ad-less music streams, etc. It would be possible to conceive of a situation where RTE is bereft of listeners/viewers in a few decades time!

I'm surprised - I'm aware of very few who listen to UK radio, beyond the odd podcast. Certainly, RTE would rather its listeners horizons remained narrow!
    I've no evidence for this, but I imagine a lot of (most?) radio listening is done in the car. When the "entertainment systems" within cars are connected to the internet, RTE's competition suddenly expands massively - internet radio, podcasts, ad-less music streams, etc. It would be possible to conceive of a situation where RTE is bereft of listeners/viewers in a few decades time!

When I was growing up in Cork in the 80's most of my Friends would listen to BBC Radio 2 for the Sport and to BBC Radio 1 for the Music and some comedy (The Mary Whitehouse Experience) A decent Medium Wave Radio did wonders. When it came to Irish Radio, none of them seemed to listen to RTE Radio except for Sport and RTE Radio 2 was a No No. It was the local Pirates that were the preferred choice. That only changed when the Pirates were shut down in 1988.

I was the odd one out listening to BBC Radio 4 but as the years moved on many of those friends followed my lead. They all still listen to 5live for the Sport, This is all a lot easier now with podcasts and Satellite, but the MW in cars is still used by them.

You might think it's just a quirk but as I moved up and down the country I found others that also listened to BBC 4 and 5. There's a film review show on Friday's every one except me is listening to, but it would never get a mention in Irish Media Circles.

When My Grandparents were alive, they'd give out about RTE Radio and would always listen to BBC if given a choice. (there were some exceptions to that rule) and they would have been very pro republican.

When I was growing up in Cork in the 80's most of my Friends would listen to BBC Radio 2 for the Sport and to BBC Radio 1 for the Music and some comedy (The Mary Whitehouse Experience) A decent Medium Wave Radio did wonders. When it came to Irish Radio, none of them seemed to listen to RTE Radio except for Sport and RTE Radio 2 was a No No. It was the local Pirates that were the preferred choice. That only changed when the Pirates were shut down in 1988.

I was the odd one out listening to BBC Radio 4 but as the years moved on many of those friends followed my lead. They all still listen to 5live for the Sport, This is all a lot easier now with podcasts and Satellite, but the MW in cars is still used by them.

You might think it's just a quirk but as I moved up and down the country I found others that also listened to BBC 4 and 5. There's a film review show on Friday's every one except me is listening to, but it would never get a mention in Irish Media Circles.

When My Grandparents were alive, they'd give out about RTE Radio and would always listen to BBC if given a choice. (there were some exceptions to that rule) and they would have been very pro republican.

I suppose, having no domestic equivalent forced you and them to investigate beyond these shores. I'm a student, and almost none of my peers listens to non-sport talk radio, and they are quite content with Spin1038 for music.

Do you ever read Eilis O'Hanlon's Radio reviews in the Sindo? They're actually quite good, and unlike Mick Heaney in the IT on Saturdays, she often includes BBC Radio output: this week's mentions Woman's Hour. I think she lives up North which would probably account for that awareness.

Do you ever read Eilis O'Hanlon's Radio reviews in the Sindo? They're actually quite good, and unlike Mick Heaney in the IT on Saturdays, she often includes BBC Radio output: this week's mentions Woman's Hour. I think she lives up North which would probably account for that awareness.

I do read it from time to time, but that snippet of her life where she's going back from Radio 4 to 5live would be very normal behaviour for a good few of my friends especially the ones that drive a lot. A good Car Radio with LW and MW is still essential. RTE Radio One can be very good at times but it is also very depressing. You need a break from the doom and gloom.

Bizarrely I've lived in Northern Ireland on and off over the last twenty years and they listened to less Radio 4 than people I knew in Cork. They're very loyal up there to BBC Radio Ulster and the various local stations.

The panic of Friends when they heard that the Long Wave Transmitter will be turned off when the last valve blows was disturbing.

It's very important to point out that RTE Radio 2/Radio2/2FM was never popular or cool in Cork at any point in its existence. It was the station your Mom would listen to when I was younger. Only Dave Fanning had any creditability.

I do read it from time to time, but that snippet of her life where she's going back from Radio 4 to 5live would be very normal behaviour for a good few of my friends especially the ones that drive a lot. A good Car Radio with LW and MW is still essential. RTE Radio One can be very good at times but it is also very depressing. You need a break from the doom and gloom.

Bizarrely I've lived in Northern Ireland on and off over the last twenty years and they listened to less Radio 4 than people I knew in Cork. They're very loyal up there to BBC Radio Ulster and the various local stations.

The panic of Friends when they heard that the Long Wave Transmitter will be turned off when the last valve blows was disturbing.

It's very important to point out that RTE Radio 2/Radio2/2FM was never popular or cool in Cork at any point in its existence. It was the station your Mom would listen to when I was younger. Only Dave Fanning had any creditability.

It used to be the station your mum would listen to; it's now the station no one listens to!

I must give Radio Ulster a listen, because I never have.

It was enjoyable to chat, Onthe3rdDay, but my bed beckons!

Radio Ulster has some decent shows. Their Breakfast Show and Drivetime shows are very good. However, Talkback (their version of Liveline which has been going a lot longer) is one of the most bizarre shows on air. The levels of bitterness are frightening at times, and I'm not talking about the Unionist/Nationalist Split, it's the complaints about everything from Single mothers to water charges.

It was enjoyable to chat, Onthe3rdDay, but my bed beckons!

Agreed...

Radio Ulster has some decent shows. Their Breakfast Show and Drivetime shows are very good. However, Talkback (their version of Liveline which has been going a lot longer) is one of the most bizarre shows on air. The levels of bitterness are frightening at times, and I'm not talking about the Unionist/Nationalist Split, it's the complaints about everything from Single mothers to water charges.

:D I got to listen to that! :D

:D I got to listen to that! :D

Last post for tonight, Start with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dm2N-vUHn4

After 10 minutes it really starts to take off.

• Advertisement

Last post for tonight, Start with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dm2N-vUHn4

After 10 minutes it really starts to take off.

Thank you for that - I enjoyed it. Is it a regular feature to have a guest on who interacts with callers? It's a nice idea. I thought Wendy Austin was very good.

My favourite line: "A thinking housewife who believes in a young earth." :D It sounds old-fashioned now; imagine how it'd sound in twenty years!

Thank you for that - I enjoyed it. Is it a regular feature to have a guest on who interacts with callers? It's a nice idea. I thought Wendy Austin was very good.

My favourite line: "A thinking housewife who believes in a young earth." :D It sounds old-fashioned now; imagine how it'd sound in twenty years!

to be fair it would have sounded old fashioned in the 80's. I don't listen to that show very often ( i value my sanity!) but guest interaction with callers seems to be common.

to be fair it would have sounded old fashioned in the 80's. I don't listen to that show very often ( i value my sanity!) but guest interaction with callers seems to be common.

It got me thinking that I've probably only heard Liveline a handful of times. I think I may give it a listen - especially considering it's the second most listened to programme in the country.

It got me thinking that I've probably only heard Liveline a handful of times. I think I may give it a listen - especially considering it's the second most listened to programme in the country.

Listen away but have some disinfectant ready for your ears once you've had your fill...and avoid funny Friday.

Listen away but have some disinfectant ready for your ears once you've had your fill...and avoid funny Friday.

It's remarkable the diversity of listeners and contributors. One of the only ones I've listened to had a well-spoken lady who was the chairman of the Leeson Park neighbourhood committee who was complaining about pesky embassies! Way ahead of you regarding Funny Friday!

It's remarkable the diversity of listeners and contributors. One of the only ones I've listened to had a well-spoken lady who was the chairman of the Leeson Park neighbourhood committee who was complaining about pesky embassies! Way ahead of you regarding Funny Friday!

Meanwhile back on topic... How does Colm Hayes justify his salary.

It's not Colm Hayes that has to justify his Salary, it's the management team that signed him up in the first place. No one is going to refuse big wages if they're offered them.

It's not Colm Hayes that has to justify his Salary, it's the management team that signed him up in the first place. No one is going to refuse big wages if they're offered them.

Sorry ,you are correct, I should have said 'how do 2fm justify Colm Hayes salary.

The original €210k salary could be justified on the basis that they were poaching him and had aspirations of making 2FM a BBC R2-esque equivalent which would dominate chatter-radio - Hayes leading-in to Gerry Ryan, etc.

Most recent figures show that he was paid €170k in 2011. I think the argument for justifying his current salary lies in loss-aversion theory: he may have accepted a salry of €100k when he came, but would be unlikely accept a cut to that level. RTE probably want to hang on to him because of how much they've "invested" in him. The two-year delay in releasing the salary info prevents us from knowing if he took another cut.

I don't actually mind someone fatuous like Hayes earning a lot...provided he's popular! As I said earlier, BBC's highest paid are all entertainers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Took me a while to notice that anything much had changed in 2FM's "new" schedule, beyond it being Goganless. Perhaps in this case because my reflexive "loud, fatuous, self-aggrandising buffoon's come on at 4:30pm, quick, switch over to Drivetime on Radio One" (actually, more usually switching over to Mooney working hopefully unpaid overtime and overrunning his slot, rather painfully). Only after a few times did I notice it was a different buffoon. Pretty amazed he was ever on that sort of money, frankly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Sorry ,you are correct, I should have said 'how do 2fm justify Colm Hayes salary.

Colm Hayes? Must be fairly low on the totem pole if he is only 170k.
    When is he on......

Advertisement