Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Legand Tony Fenton

• 31-05-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

on the Late Late Show tonight :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vforvictory

Love The Fentone...He is so in the house he is the foundations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm delighted that Tony seems to be in recovery. Long may he offer us cheese in the afternoon:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair play to him for being able to do the show while he was having very serious health problems. Always seemed like a really nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have always been a fan of his music, not so much his presenting style, a little too cheesy for me.

But he came across as a thoroughly decent spud the other night. Plus his accent and voice are completely different when chatting casually v being in DJ mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He is pure cheese as a presenter, but I suppose he's good for what he does during the day, and in fairness, for a day time radio show, he plays some decent music from time to time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think he sounds better without the "stage" voice-and bear in mind, he was probably watching his p's and q's given that he was on TV anyway, so "House" Tony may be even more in contrast to "Studio" Tony.

That said, the stage voice and the whole persona may have made it easier for him to carry on through his difficulties, a sort of facade that he'd put on before work or what have you. I've said it elsewhere, but I have to admire the guy for keeping it going like that. Few could!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think it's very hard to dislike him in fairness. People may not like the music he plays but he fills the role he plays very well- he's great with people on the phone, plays the chart hits, speaks well with any celebrity he may have on, is totally cheesy but in a very endearing way. And most of all he pulls it off simply because he's a nice guy- you'd even know that cos of the fondness other djs have if talking about him which is always a good sign.

Not totally my cup of tea but fair play to him- and especially so given his difficulties lately- good on ya Tony!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Fair play to him for being able to do the show while he was having very serious health problems. Always seemed like a really nice guy.

Not only that, but am I right in reading his mother passed and he had serious financial trouble while all that was going on? I can't remember where the article was but that man had one hellish year recently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure about his mum, but I remember reading that he was bankrupt or near it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure about his mum, but I remember reading that he was bankrupt or near it a few years back.

yea i think in the same article there was something about his mother being ill, i dont know the situation now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He was interviewed this morning by Tom Dunne.

Has he any awareness at all of his own cheesiness I wonder?

He was talking about how in the early 80s the other pirate DJs of the time were going for jobs with 2fm but he didn’t because he knew he “just wasn’t ready”. And of how then a couple of years later Barry Lang told him “hey man, you’re ready”. There seemed to be an unspoken understanding between Tony and Tom of what constituted readiness – that he had perfected the mid-atlantic or something.

Real Alan Partridge comedy I thought when he was talking about when Nova closed down and he said he had to get out of the game so he moved to Denmark and then lived in Tenerife after that. Sounded such a daring move and radical thing to do in mid 80s Ireland – until he said he “lived” in Denmark for an entire 3 months and in Tenerife for 9 months after that.

I am sorry for his financial issues and admire him for how he is dealing with his health problems – but he really is such a cliché as a DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Anyone hear the great mans new ad on Today FM. Priceless stuff from the living legend.

2171_72_pages_05_6_622x233.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Sweet Jeebus ,I didn't think shills like this still existed.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

shills like this

Could you elaborate on that? Maybe I've got a different definition of shill in my mind. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    shills like this

Could you elaborate on that? Maybe I've got a different definition of shill in my mind. :pac:

What had you in mind ,lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Poor tony thinks that whitney Houston guests on duke dumonts I got you when in fact he samples her song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    shills like this

What had you in mind ,lad?

Oh, my apologies for not responding to this. Completely slipped my mind. :o

Ah, it's the moderator in me, whenever I see the word "shill" I take it to mean someone pimping something through false pretenses (for example if I had a blog and came on boards telling people how "This blog is awesome, you should read it, I'd love to know who writes it so I could shake their hand! Seriously, read it." I'd be a shill).

S'just not a word I've heard associated with Tony before.

Advertisement