Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company I work for want to brand my car.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Oracle wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree peeps, for €150 per month they can brand my a$$! :D

It's almost €2000 a year, for doing nothing. Take the money while its going, who cares about the car.

But how much would it cost to get resprayed if the OP changed jobs or something?

Agreed.

Also if they are putting something on your car you should at least INSIST they pay for removal/repair if needed.

Agree. You need this in writing. You need to be 100% sure this won't cost you a cent. Looking or feeling stupid is one think. It ruining your car and it's resale value and costing you money etc to put right is another thing. It not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Why the hell would you consider wrecking your PERSONAL car with stickers?! FFS, yes jobs are scarce but they won't fire you for this. Grow a backbone and refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

Grow a backbone you say? Clearly you have just not got out of the dole queue and into a job after a year of nothing. If you have no valuable advice then I recommend staying silent.

Thank you to everyone else for all your valuable input.

KAISER - You are correct in saying I have to have a specific vehicle for my job. It has to be under 6 years old, 5 doors and diesel. I cannot have anything else. These are the company requirements and on my budget at the moment, it doesnt buy me much!

Also €150 they are offering is on top of my car allowance. I get over 400 euro for that seperately p/m also.

I am in discussions with the signwriter now. If I could get magnetic ones I would, but if I lose or damage them I have to pay for them!

I think perhaps I might pay a visit to a solicitor. My probation is up next month so if I could just stall them until then.

Thanks again everyone :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The magnetic signs sound like a good idea.

Being able to take them off at weekends also sounds like a good idea and also at night when on social runs.

Why should this company get any more free advertising than the bare minimum???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

mandy30 wrote: »
    KAISER - You are correct in saying I have to have a specific vehicle for my job. It has to be under 6 years old, 5 doors and diesel. I cannot have anything else. These are the company requirements and on my budget at the moment, it doesnt buy me much!

Just wondering (for general comment rather than a question for the OP) - Is it common for a company who won't provide a company vehicle to a field-based employee to dictate the specific type/age of private vehicle the employee must drive?

I haven't heard of it (but then there are lots of things I haven't heard of...) - It just seems a bit much to me...

Yeah I thought the same. They told me there are regulations I must meet in line with their company.
    So I had to sell my car, hunt for one that fitted in with their rules on a very tight budget. And to top it all off, I have to sell it again at the end of next year as it will be 'out of date' according to their guidelines! Very stressful! If I got a car that did not follow any of these regulations, they would make me sell it again.
    I though as long as it was NCT'd, taxed and insured it would be okay....but seems not.
    I had to put my foot down when they told me they wanted to 'okay' my new car choice first before I bought it! I went mad! It's my cash and I bought what I damn well pleased!

So you could be hundreds or even thousands out of pocket! That's crazy. You all need to stand together in the company and say NO.

Yeah I know, but sure its only for another year and hopefully there will be more jobs out there by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OK- Here's another perspective....

1. They give you a car allowance- (I would interperet this as a perk of the job?)
    2. they are offering you 150 per month for branding on your car- this is another perk...(in the sense that they are effectively paying for your car even though I fully understand it is your personal car but see point 1 above also).

I'd have 4 questions to ask myself if in this position...

1. Am I happy to accept that the car allowance "perk" isn't what maybe it could be (i.e. no branding on my car) ....but still beneficial to me from a money perspective?
    2. Am I covered from a legal perspective in terms of something happening from an insurance/tax perspective etc? If not, can company make it so without additional expense to me (including BIK) ?
    3. When I crunch the numbers, is it a good deal- i.e. future prospects in company Vs alternative jobs to go to, BIK, other benefits etc etc
    4. Will the company pay a certain amount towards my new car to offset depreciation etc?

... if the numbers & legal aspect (insurance etc) stack up, considering you are getting a "car allowance", if you adjust your thinking and see this as a "perk", but, be it now, a "qualified perk", in that you have to advertise the company, then in current climate, I would move on with it...

Don't know enough of the other variables to help you make that decision but hope the above helps either way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Maby you could tell them that you are searching for a new car, so it would not be a good idea to re-brand it right now. Keep telling them that your searching for the next month. When your months probation is up you should challenge them about it.

Thats just what I would try.

I personally would feel stupid driving around in a branded car.

1. Am I happy to accept that the car allowance "perk" isn't what maybe it could be (i.e. no branding on my car) ....but still beneficial to me from a money perspective? Not really, but as I have said before....my boss is basically telling me I have no choice. I was even made to sign a new contract on it.

2. Am I covered from a legal perspective in terms of something happening from an insurance/tax perspective etc? If not, can company make it so without additional expense to me (including BIK) ? Car is fully insured. For business/social and domestic. Some am covered from all angles. I must pay for any damage to the graphics though apparently and if I want to remove them its at my own expense.

3. When I crunch the numbers, is it a good deal- i.e. future prospects in company Vs alternative jobs to go to, BIK, other benefits etc etc At moment I am just happy to have a job. If I leave I think they will sting me for the cost of the graphics. The contract does not specify how long I must have them on for. Just says I am liable for the cost of them if I change my vehicle.

4. Will the company pay a certain amount towards my new car to offset depreciation etc? No chance! They would laugh in my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ldeayton

Just my two cents.

I work in the UK and have had different car options...allowance, company car, pool car, leased car.

Keep in mind that the company are paying you an allowance for the car and you're paid a mileage allowance too! So while they have no right of ownership of the car they do pay for its keep. It is normal here for a company to ask you to buy a car that is suitable for the job.
    If the maths works out, the allowances should be paying for the car.

It's easy to say “just tell them to get lost” but it's your job, so I understand your dilemma. From my experience only company cars are branded and even this is not a popular option considering how many company cars are on the road.

Its a bit unfair that the company ask you to do this, without it having been mentioned before you took the job. Best solution I would recommend, as stated by others, is putting on magnetic signs which you can remove at the weekend.

Any other type of extensive branding really requires the company to buy the car. Remember they are putting the hassle of buying and looking after a car onto you, and therefore you should be able to enjoy the car as a private vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

1. Am I happy to accept that the car allowance "perk" isn't what maybe it could be (i.e. no branding on my car) ....but still beneficial to me from a money perspective? Not really, but as I have said before....my boss is basically telling me I have no choice. I was even made to sign a new contract on it.

2. Am I covered from a legal perspective in terms of something happening from an insurance/tax perspective etc? If not, can company make it so without additional expense to me (including BIK) ? Car is fully insured. For business/social and domestic. Some am covered from all angles. I must pay for any damage to the graphics though apparently and if I want to remove them its at my own expense.

3. When I crunch the numbers, is it a good deal- i.e. future prospects in company Vs alternative jobs to go to, BIK, other benefits etc etc At moment I am just happy to have a job. If I leave I think they will sting me for the cost of the graphics. The contract does not specify how long I must have them on for. Just says I am liable for the cost of them if I change my vehicle.

4. Will the company pay a certain amount towards my new car to offset depreciation etc? No chance! They would laugh in my face!

In that case, I would be inclined to say no, on the basis that you don't know what liabilities you might be open to paying....I'm saying this of course, without seeing your contract so don't really have all the info at my disposal to make that call...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Maby you could tell them that you are searching for a new car, so it would not be a good idea to re-brand it right now. Keep telling them that your searching for the next month. When your months probation is up you should challenge them about it.

Thats just what I would try.

I personally would feel stupid driving around in a branded car.

But that is incredibly predictable. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Am amazed with all the various restrictions and demands about type of car, branding etc your employer has imposed that they didn't just provide one in the first place.

What happens if you can't afford to buy a new car (or claim you can't!)? I could even be difficult to get car finance in the current climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Grow a backbone you say? Clearly you have just not got out of the dole queue and into a job after a year of nothing. If you have no valuable advice then I recommend staying silent.

You're right I wasn't on the dole for a year - I was on it for 18 months. And even though you have to take some crap in every job, you're just a walkover if you allow this against your wishes. I just know I will draw a line with some things in work - otherwise, if you act like a door mat you'll be treated like one, and that should never be the case.

Advertisement