Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are water charges mandated by the EU?

• 26-08-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard a few people say that Europe are making us introduce water charges.
    Is this true?
    If it is true, what directive is it?
    Is there any way we could get it changed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I believe there is a Directive coming soon, but it only applies to commercial premises AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

OisinT wrote: »
    I believe there is a Directive coming soon, but it only applies to commercial premises AFAIK.

If that is the case then a certain Green has been lying to my face.

Could just be getting it wrong. It's in the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC) that the costs of providing water must be recouped but an exception exists to make water used for domestic purposes exempt from the Directive.
    There could be something newer in the forthcoming directive, but AFAIK the new directive is just an 'update' so to speak of the Water Framework Directive and some stuff on how to implement the WFD.

The national parliament doesn't have to implement the exception in the Directive AFAIK. I'd imagine this is what the Govt. intend to do. Just implement it whole and not avail of the exception at all.

The national parliament doesn't have to implement the exception in the Directive AFAIK. I'd imagine this is what the Govt. intend to do. Just implement it whole and not avail of the exception at all.
    AFAIK the Directive does stipulate that the government cannot make any profit off of the charges. But you could certainly be correct.

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    AFAIK the Directive does stipulate that the government cannot make any profit off of the charges. But you could certainly be correct.

I'd be reasonably certain they could justify it as covering the provision of the service.

Certainly! I believe they can actually cover their costs for expansion and upgrade of services too.

Ah sure, in that case we have our answer!

Nice work Oisin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I've heard a few people say that Europe are making us introduce water charges.
    Is this true?
    If it is true, what directive is it?
    Is there any way we could get it changed?

Water is free*

*once you tilt your head back and open your mouth in a heavy shower.

In every other circumstance it must be treated, filtered and pumped.

(I have my own well. I get "free" water from the gound. Too bad the equipment to get it out costs a few thousand + a few hundred euros per annum in running costs.)

/Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Out of interest how often do you get your well water tested? Use to be alot of cases of stomach upsets were kids had went to stay with there country cousins who used well water. There bodies weren't geared up to deal with the bacteria in the well water unlike the country cousins.

The EU have served that many reasonable opinions on the Irish government in relation to breaches of water quality regarding drinking, bathing and dangereous chemicals in water that I think the Irish government have more than enough justification to charge for it to fund a upgrade of the water system. Private wells may be metered too as you are drawing from the local water basin.

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Out of interest how often do you get your well water tested? Use to be alot of cases of stomach upsets were kids had went to stay with there country cousins who used well water. There bodies weren't geared up to deal with the bacteria in the well water unlike the country cousins.

The EU have served that many reasonable opinions on the Irish government in relation to breaches of water quality regarding drinking, bathing and dangereous chemicals in water that I think the Irish government have more than enough justification to charge for it to fund a upgrade of the water system. Private wells may be metered too as you are drawing from the local water basin.
    That's all in the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC) - pretty sure a vast amount of it has not been implemented yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Thanks Freudian Slippers and OisinT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Old thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement