Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psycho active bill becomes active munday

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

OisinT wrote: »
    I disagree - it's a legislative topic and this is a judicial forum.

Is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

maidhc wrote: »
    Is it?
    AFAIK.

Wait are you asking if this is a legislative topic? or is this a judicial discussion forum?

I think both answers are fairly clear since this is called legal discussion and there is a politics forum.
    Now if this thread was about how the Gardaí and the courts will interpret and implement this Act then sure it definitely belongs here. Sadly, this thread is more about whining that people cannot go to their local headshops and get whacked off their tits anymore. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Ah right, thats a fair bit more reasonable but this law is still quite ridiculous. Chocolate is now an illegal substance as it contains theobromine, a known psychoactive compound capable of crossing the BBB:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r2j423713174l315/

Off the top of my head parsley, nutmeg, fennel, thyme and dill are all illegal herbs and vegetables now. I bet a number of psychoactive compounds can be found in Irish stew, the national dish of Ireland. Pepper in the gravy for example contains piperine and chavicine, mildly psychoactive compounds with structural similarities to the piperazines (a class of compounds which BZP is a part of).

I accept your point, but the legislation further states that the substance must be able to:
    (a) produce stimulation or depression of the central nervous
    system of the person, resulting in hallucinations or a significant
    disturbance in, or significant change to, motor
    function, thinking, behaviour, perception, awareness or
    mood, or
    (b) cause a state of dependence, including physical or psychological
    addiction;

Furthermore, the act will not apply to, inter alia:
    food within the meaning of section 2 of the Food Safety
    Authority of Ireland Act 1998 which has been placed on
    the market in compliance with food legislation within the
    meaning of that section

I accept that legislation ought to be criticised and scrutinised, but there are a lot of accusations and fearmongering going on in this thread (and the others started by OP on the same subject) when it would appear that no one has actually read the Act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement