Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank holiday pay while on maternity

Options
  • 04-12-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been off on maternity leave since June, my employer doesnt pay maternity so I have been getting social welfare maternity.

Am I entitled to request payment from my employer of bank holidays that arose while I was off on maternity or am I entitled to take these days as paid days off once my maternity if up in January???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Per http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html
    Public holidays and annual leave

You are entitled to leave for any public holidays that occur during your maternity leave (including additional maternity leave). The right of employees to leave for public holidays is set down in Section 21 of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.

Apart from pay and superannuation, time spent on maternity leave (including additional maternity leave) is treated as though you have been in employment, and this time can be used to accumulate annual leave and public holiday entitlement

So it seems you are entitled, to a paid day off for each Bank Holiday that occurs while you are on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sue345

Am I entitled to request payment from my employer of bank holidays that arose while I was off on maternity or am I entitled to take these days as paid days off once my maternity if up in January???

As the OP has shown you are entitled to your bank holidays while on maternity leave as well as any holiday days accumulated.

In my experience people take them in different ways:

a) add any bank holidays owed and any holiday days accumulated to the end of their maternity leave, these days would be paid and of course it would have been agreed with your employer beforehand

b) when they return from maternity leave they request to be paid for these days and it would be included in your next pay

c) on agreement with their employer you would take these days at a later date

Advertisement