Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pepsi max + 50% extra NOT free

Options
  • 30-06-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

i enjoy a bottle of pepsi max regularly and due to my having a seemingly insatiable thirst for the stuff i always look for the 750ml bottle. the one that says 50% extra free in a big red banner on the label.
    Now these bottles have been on the market in many shops for a while now but they have now been joined by 500ml "long neck" bottles and also 500ml "contour" bottles which i suspect are from a different bottler because they taste yucky.
    My understanding is that the 500ml bottle should cost the same as the 500ml +50% extra free bottle. Am i crazy???
    these bottles are sold side by side in most places at different prices. next time you see these on sale get the price checked. For two years now ive been enjoying my 50% extra free oblivious to the fact i was actually paying for it :-(
    greedy shopkeepers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i enjoy a bottle of pepsi max regularly and due to my having a seemingly insatiable thirst for the stuff i always look for the 750ml bottle. the one that says 50% extra free in a big red banner on the label.
    Now these bottles have been on the market in many shops for a while now but they have now been joined by 500ml "long neck" bottles and also 500ml "contour" bottles which i suspect are from a different bottler because they taste yucky.
    My understanding is that the 500ml bottle should cost the same as the 500ml +50% extra free bottle. Am i crazy???
    these bottles are sold side by side in most places at different prices. next time you see these on sale get the price checked. For two years now ive been enjoying my 50% extra free oblivious to the fact i was actually paying for it :-(
    greedy shopkeepers.
    The problem is that the shopkeepers can charge whatever they want to for the goods they sell and there is nothing that anyone can do about it except to shop around and get your bottles of pepsi in Tesco who won't increase the price to account for the 50% extra free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Get the 440ml cans that have '€1' clearly printed on them (and i know what you mean about the taste of the contour bottles, different recipe, methinks).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Get the 440ml cans that have '€1' clearly printed on them (and i know what you mean about the taste of the contour bottles, different recipe, methinks).
    the €1 cans are a godsend and i get them quite often but its quite a lot of pepsi to drink at one sitting. also you should be getting the 750ml bottle for say €1.40 if they were pricing correctly. we now have the ridiculous situation that a shop can have 4 different types of pepsi max for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i recall the shop must actually pay extra for the extra free bottles too, the manufacturer doesn't simply give them at the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

TheDriver wrote: »
    i recall the shop must actually pay extra for the extra free bottles too, the manufacturer doesn't simply give them at the same price
    well they shouldnt be sold side by side with regular bottles at an increased price. making fools out of the customer. i took the two bottles to the counter the 500ml was 1.40 and the 750ml was 1.75.
    the reason given was that bigger bottle = bigger price :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

couldn't agree more but from past threads, the issue should be raised with pepsi as they expect the retailer to take some of the hit on the extra free i.e. they might charge retailer 1.00 for the 500ml yet charge 1.10 for the 750ml even though its free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

Id say its more to do with the plastic as it tends to taint it, ever notice how red bull tastes better from a can as opposed to a bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Id say its more to do with the plastic as it tends to taint it, ever notice how red bull tastes better from a can as opposed to a bottle?

Don't drink Red Bull (and i'm trying to kick the Pepsi Max into touch too!). I dunno, the stuff from the 750ml bottles tastes better than the contour bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Usually its an error made in an office. Product list comes in, they see 750ml, don't realise its 500ml+50% free and therefore enter an incorrect higher price.

Bring it to the attention of the retailer and it may get corrected, but is a normal 500ml sells at 1.40, then the 500ml + 50% free should sell at 1.40 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

greedy shopkeepers.

Not greedy shopkeeper at all.

I pay 57c for a bottle of Pepsi max 500ml and sell it for €1

I pay 72c for a bottle of the 50% extra free one and sell it for €1.20

Extremely rarely (once a year maybe) I get the 50% extra free bottles for around 57 to 59c and I then sell it for €1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retailer wrote: »

Extremely rarely (once a year maybe) I get the 50% extra free bottles for around 57 to 59c and I then sell it for €1

well if you sold the 50% extra free for €1 you'd get much higher turnover on them, and possibly a higher total profit on them over the promotional period.

instead you're going to lose sales & customers (some of them long-term) because of your GREED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

Retailer wrote: »

well if you sold the 50% extra free for €1 you'd get much higher turnover on them, and possibly a higher total profit on them over the promotional period.

instead you're going to lose sales & customers (some of them long-term) because of your GREED.

How is it greed? I sell the 500ml bottles chilled for €1. Most shops sell this for €1.40+

I sell the 50% one for 20c more cos it costs me almost 20c more.

If you think I'll lose sales selling it for €1.20 when the nearest shop to me sells the same bottle for €1.69 then fair enough. People can pay €1.69 if they like

Anyway the 50% extra free bottles are promo bottles, only available to retailers a few times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I lol'd at you logic. Its clear from his post, the issue is that retailers have to pay more for 750ml than 500ml. If these 750ml are 50% extra free then they should cost the retailer the standard 500ml price. Then the retailer could sell them at the 500ml price, thereby satisfying the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

greedy shopkeepers.

That's just plain retarded on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I actually don't understand why the 50% extra free are charged to the retailer by Pepsi. Is it expected that the retailer absorbs the costs and charges the 750ml promo bottle the same price as the 500ml to their customers, thus creating an "appeal" to customers into their shops? f that's the case, then Pepsi is creating advertisment for the retailer and charging him for it
    If the advertisment is for Pepsi, then Pepsi should take the costs and charge the same price for both bottles to the retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sam Mac Attack the post, not the poster. If you can't contribute anything constructive, then please don't post.

dudara

Advertisement