Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Augmented reality apps for Android

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Anyone know any good augmented reality apps for android.
    I just read about Layar.
    Apparently you just point your device's camera at something in your environment and (thru a combination of gps and compass info), various modules of this app can access different types of info about it.
    Eg if you're looking at a house one of these apps can tell you if it's for sale etc.
    Kinda like the barcode scanner app on steroids.
    Anyone tried Layar or anything similar.
    These apps, imo, really represent the future of smartphones.
    Apparently, the iphone has its own AR apps as well.
    Less said about that the better :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I've used Layar a few times now for finding a Dublin Bikes station and it's been great :)

It's also got a fairly comprehensive layer for Dublin bus stops, even saying which bus goes from each stop etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wikitude is another one but I much prefer Layar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Cianos wrote: »
    I've used Layar a few times now for finding a Dublin Bikes station and it's been great :)

It's also got a fairly comprehensive layer for Dublin bus stops, even saying which bus goes from each stop etc etc.

Yeah just messed about with it tonight there.
    Actually all that's left is to integrate it into a terminator-style eye. Cyborg chic FTW. :p
    The potential for this stuff is amazing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

mkennedy wrote: »
    Yeah just messed about with it tonight there.
    Actually all that's left is to integrate it into a terminator-style eye. Cyborg chic FTW. :p
    The potential for this stuff is amazing tbh.

Its fairly cool alright.

I'm sure the US military will have the terminator style thingy down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The concept is fine but I prefer to use layers in map mode instead of holding the phone in front of my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

yeah layar is great one of the best free apps on any device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does anyone else find it takes an absolute age to start up?

Even with nothing else running in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I have Dishpointer Pro on my Desire and it works excellently. Very handy for installing satellite dishes when you have no reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deviatore

Layar and wikitude are good AR apps, as said by above members.

I have used some other great apps :

1. Tweeps Around - Great for finding people using twitter around you
    Download link - http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/multimedia/tweeps-around_gmgz.html

2. Weather Reality - For finding the weather in your locality in 3D, its very fun to use
    Download link - http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-dci-mycast-ar-DxEq.aspx

3. Augsatnav - The coolest navigation system which overlays WALKING directions upon a live camera feed of the PATH/ROAD ahead using augmented reality technology.

Download Link - http://techsplurge.com/1885/7-amazing-augmented-reality-apps-android/

I dunno about any other good app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I am looking for the Wikitude Drive and can't get it anywhere

• Advertisement

akamossie wrote: »
    I am looking for the Wikitude Drive and can't get it anywhere
    Me too.I really liked that when I had it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I still haven't found a practical use for Augmented Reality apps. They are interesting to mess with, but in the real world you are better off with a 2d map view... IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deviatore

Nicola, one of the member of Wikitude team says it will be available in next few weeks

Braaaaaaaiiiiiinnnnsssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

New account and necro-posting to spam/promote your blog - great start.

Advertisement