Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equality on the Titanic

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In Japan, Men come first, Women come second.

Or sometimes not at all.....yeah baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

True human behaviour is only really tested in such Titanic situations such as when overall it seemed like it was every man /woman for themselfs,those brave firemen went up the stairs during 9/11 . I would rather take my chances jumping into the cold sea then fall to a horrible death from thousends of feet up off a building but you are obiously going to look after your loved ones and hope they make the boat ...at least that's the script .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

They want equality? When they start paying their way and stop bumming a free night out they'll be treated like equals. No wonder they're not on the same pay as men, we deserve that bit extra always having to pay the bitches drink for them!

Before anyone asks I want my hole that's why I pay but it's sh*t it's expected by the majority of women.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They want equality? When they start paying their way and stop bumming a free night out they'll be treated like equals. No wonder they're not on the same pay as men, we deserve that bit extra always having to pay the bitches drink for them!

Before anyone asks I want my hole that's why I pay but it's sh*t it's expected by the majority of women.:mad:

I think I figured out why you have to pay for your hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

A line of lads should circle the lifeboats, red rover style. Whoever breaks the chain, gets their place on the lifeboat. That'll sort the wheat from the chaff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I think I figured out why you have to pay for your hole.

Going on a date is always paying for your hole, get with the programme, you:D

I have a missus now, but always did my tits in going out and realising the girl had no intention of paying for anything for the simple reason that they're a woman:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I have a missus now, but always did my tits in going out and realising the girl had no intention of paying for anything for the simple reason that they're a woman:confused:

As a girl I find this really irritating... I never expect the guy to pay and always pay my way. Having a girlfriend is frikkin' expensive - it's not on & it's not right.

Jeez, buy the poor guy a drink why dontcha ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

foxyboxer wrote: »
    And next year we'll be "celebrating" a ship that f*cking sank on it's first go!

"Built in Ireland that was...the Titanic!!!!"

That was Belfast though. The northeners were behind that.
    I'm about to get given out to aren't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    As a girl I find this really irritating... I never expect the guy to pay and always pay my way. Having a girlfriend is frikkin' expensive - it's not on & it's not right.

Jeez, buy the poor guy a drink why dontcha ladies!

I'd have to agree, when i go out I buy my own drinks, if he wants to buy me on I'll get him a drink next time. I always go halfs on taxis and such too.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree, when i go out I buy my own drinks, if he wants to buy me on I'll get him a drink next time. I always go halfs on taxis and such too.

Woohoo, @xxxJennyxxx, deadly. We like you....

I'm about to get given out to aren't I?

No, you won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I'm a woman - I get to go first. :mad:

you still haven't proven you are a woman with pics yet, until then your classified as a Guy.In.Real.Life. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Woohoo, @xxxJennyxxx, deadly. We like you....

My BF doesn't drink anyway so I'd never expect him to get me a drink, I'll get my own thank you very much!

My BF doesn't drink anyway so I'd never expect him to get me a drink, I'll get my own thank you very much!

Yup, we definitely like you.

If there's a group of lads on the beers they do rounds... I'm not sure why women think it doesn't apply to them. It's uber-rude (& extremely 1950's!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

CageWager wrote: »
    I was just reading something about the Titanic and how the lifeboats were filled with women and childern first and it got me thinking, with the level of equality demanded in todays society would the same rule apply should a similar situation happen circa 2011.

As a man, would you be happy to let the women survive or is it "every man for himself" these days?

Women, would you feel entitled to a space on a lifeboat before a man?

I would look at it like this, first the kids and teens, last the people over 70.

If i had the kids with me i would push them up front, i would stay with them, if i was on my own i would help others before even considering to save my own life. Im female.

If all the life boats were full, i would start breaking down doors and tables making them floatable.

I can swim so that doesnt bother me too much but if the water was cold there would be risk of hypothermia, i would also strip down to my undies and kick of my shoes before i would go for a paddle, the extra weight of wet clothes would drag me down without a life vest.

Thats a boat situation there are many different situations one could be in, plane crash (land or sea), explosion, fire on a high rise buliding, bus crash and so on.

• Advertisement

I definitely wouldn't expect a spot on a lifeboat purely based on my sex. It's in my nature to help others so I'd approach it that way... if I got a spot so be it but if I didn't well, that's just the way it is.

I wouldn't be in the water seething with jealousy that yer man with the fit body got on a boat ahead of me!!

Them's the breaks. Kids and OAP's ahead of me, for sure then whoever makes it on after that.

Bon Voyage

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Really though, shouldn't modern ships actually have enough space for EVERYONE.

It's not 1912 anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Casillas wrote: »
    Really though, shouldn't modern ships actually have enough space for EVERYONE.

It's not 1912 anymore!
    i never really got this saying, 'its 2012 for god sake' im sure there was someone on the Titanic saying 'not enough lifeboats?! Its nineteen hundred and twelve for god's sake!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i never really got this saying, 'its 2012 for god sake' im sure there was someone on the Titanic saying 'not enough lifeboats?! Its nineteen hundred and twelve for god's sake!'

Dont worry, either way your gonna be left behind, after all you are INVISIBLE :p

Ahem;

At the time, the Board of Trade's regulations stated that British vessels over 10,000 tons must carry 16 lifeboats with a capacity of 5,500 cubic feet (160 m3), plus enough capacity in rafts and floats for 75% (or 50% in case of a vessel with watertight bulkheads) of that in the lifeboats. Therefore, the White Star Line actually provided more lifeboat accommodation than was legally required.[1] The regulations made no extra provision for larger ships because they had not been changed since 1894, when the largest passenger ship under consideration was only 13,000 tons, and because of the expected difficulty in getting away a greater number than 16 boats in any emergency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_safety_practices_following_the_RMS_Titanic_disaster

Like I said it's not 1912 anymore - different regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's only fair that they get preference now and again... men usually come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

You can see a doctor for that ya know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

discus wrote: »
    You can see a doctor for that ya know.

Why would I waste 60 quid on that? It's only gonna end the same way eventually sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17472345
    More than two months after the cruise ship Costa Concordia capsized off the Italian coast, a team searching the wreck has found three more bodies.

What was the lifeboat situation like here?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Casillas wrote: »
    Ahem;

At the time, the Board of Trade's regulations stated that British vessels over 10,000 tons must carry 16 lifeboats with a capacity of 5,500 cubic feet (160 m3), plus enough capacity in rafts and floats for 75% (or 50% in case of a vessel with watertight bulkheads) of that in the lifeboats. Therefore, the White Star Line actually provided more lifeboat accommodation than was legally required.[1] The regulations made no extra provision for larger ships because they had not been changed since 1894, when the largest passenger ship under consideration was only 13,000 tons, and because of the expected difficulty in getting away a greater number than 16 boats in any emergency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_safety_practices_following_the_RMS_Titanic_disaster

Like I said it's not 1912 anymore - different regulation.

Yeah, true a change in regulations, but "im invisible" is making a point that's not really contradictory to that, just pointing out the absurdity that the present is the most up to date thing for people and we can't imagine people living too comfortably before us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

From what I can see women only like "equality" when it suits them.
    We go first if thers a fire or emergency, they say.
    You cant hit women, they say.
    Temptamperu you have to lift that box sharons pregnent, they say.

Equality is a joke.
    You have some very strange definitions there. Letting women go first is called chivalry, treating everyone as equals regardless of gender is called equality. Feminists generally advocate the latter and condemn the former as outdated and chauvinistic

But hey, don't let that get in the way of a good dig at the opposite gender!

(Interestingly enough, early 19th C British ideals of chivalry were so fecked-up that many of the first lifeboats launched from the Titanic left half-empty. One boat, for example, had a capacity of 65 but only held 28 people. Many of the sailors interpreted 'women and children first' to mean 'only women and children' and refused to let men board the half-empty crafts. Damn feminazis!)

weemcd wrote: »
    What was the lifeboat situation like here?

"The Costa Concordia had sufficient lifeboat space, as far as we know, by the regulations she operates under," said Charles Weeks, an emeritus professor of marine transportation at the Maine Maritime Academy

The delay in lowering the lifeboats, which occurred about 45 minutes to an hour after the ship hit the rocks, may have been the captain's call, he said.

"There may have been a perfectly valid reason why he waited so long," Weeks told LiveScience. "You don't want to put lifeboats in the water while the ship is still making way. That can be very hazardous."

http://www.livescience.com/18004-costa-concordia-titanic-comparison.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Reekwind wrote: »
    You have some very strange definitions there. Letting women go first is called chivalry, treating everyone as equals regardless of gender is called equality. Feminists generally advocate the latter and condemn the former as outdated and chauvinistic

But hey, don't let that get in the way of a good dig at the opposite gender!

(Interestingly enough, early 19th C British ideals of chivalry were so fecked-up that many of the first lifeboats launched from the Titanic left half-empty. One boat, for example, had a capacity of 65 but only held 28 people. Many of the sailors interpreted 'women and children first' to mean 'only women and children' and refused to let men board the half-empty crafts. Damn feminazis!)

there was a thread recently in tGC asking about chivalry and many many women said that they like it. but it really is a favouritism towards the 'fairer' sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

You are aware that not all women are feminists?

I think chivalry is actually just basic manners. I pay my own way when on dates but it's still nice for someone to open a door for me.

If someone offered me a spot on a lifeboat the day The Titanic went down I'd look behind to see if someone more deserving needed the spot and let them on.

Manners: the world would be **** without them. Oh, hang on a second....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Remember on Father Ted when that aeroplane was going to crash and they had to write out a list of reasons about why they deserve the last parachute? A similar protocol should be introduced for ships and lifeboats.

"Reason 1: I'm brilliant":D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CageWager wrote: »
    I was just reading something about the Titanic and how the lifeboats were filled with women and childern first and it got me thinking, with the level of equality demanded in todays society would the same rule apply should a similar situation happen circa 2011.
    Actually class was important too

52 third class children died (66%) , only one first or second class child died
    67% of First class men died

I'd expect the same today richer passengers having a better chance

if there is limited room in the lifeboats then you can get more smaller people in so kids and wimins (back then anyway) were smaller

oh yeah this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Birkenhead_%281845%29#Final_voyage

Advertisement