Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV 3 SLOPPY NEWS SCRIPTS

• 04-07-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

I was listening to the news on TV 3 @ 7.30 today Monday . The lady with te DART accent was informing us about yet another cock up involving the HSE last night. This one involved a transplant patient and being unable to get to London in time. She mentioned "last night" 3 times in this the 2nd news of the morning. The incident took place on Saturday night and she was obviously using last nights script. The same happened with the incident off Clogherhead a few weeks ago when the group were rescued. Again she seemed to be using the prevous nights script . I always get this impression when she tells us of the closing prices on the Stock Exchange. If they cant get these simple basics right how can we believe any story.

TV3 give the impression the news is a pain and is better done elsewhere. Look at their "comprehensive" news coverage on a Sunday.They never seem to abide by advertised time on this , they jsut get ot out of the way. Frequently you can turn it on and its over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Not disagreeing with you at all. You are right. But really, don't watch tv3 news. Think when I first caught Alan Cantwell saying "Let's see what the girls are up to on Xpose" was the last time I ever made the mistake of staying tuned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

At the weekend all they have is two 15 minute bulletins?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

I can't stand TV3 news, especially Alan Cantwell. Its such a tabloid news station, everything seems to be exaggerated and they seem to thrive off doom and gloom, I have to take everything they say with a pinch of salt. It is the worst channel ever to watch if you are unemployed!
    And what the hell were they thinking when they put Alan Cantwell on Midday! Uggggh! - Sorry going off topic!
    But yes their news reporting is terrible.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Scripts are awfully written, for example not a day goes by when they use singular instead of plural or leave out an "an" or a "the" and it's not just the person reading it as it consistent among all of their news staff.

Tabloid trash of the highest order, their lead story will often be one that rté and other stations would run well down the order, purely because it's the most sensationalist. They could give fox news a run for their money.

Don't get me wrong here rté are no pulitzer prize contenders either.

Lol totally agree with the unemployment comment, they use the same stock footage of the same cork dole office every time, it must have the longest queue in the country, it certainly makes the one I wait in once a month look tiny in comparison :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    And what the hell were they thinking when they put Alan Cantwell on Midday! Uggggh! - Sorry going off topic!
    But yes their news reporting is terrible.....

He really showed himself up on that show to be a bit of an oaf, no wonder they got rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Dymo wrote: »
    He really showed himself up on that show to be a bit of an oaf, no wonder they got rid of him.

Ya, they were obviously going for a sort of "Loose women" show, as they have now, but with Alan on it he just kept butting in and taking over and turned it into more of a Vincent Brown type political show. And why do they have all the same people presenting the shows, like yer man who presents the weather has his own morning show, and all the news reporters seem to have their own show's too! WTF?! Are there really so few presenters in Ireland to pick from?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

About 15 mins ago I said I'd check the television forum and see was there anything interesting. Funnily enough I found this thread and then the TV3 news happened to come on.... In one story the news reader was reading a story about the Guard who was assaulted "this morning, yesterday morning"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Thanks to Elaine Crowley this mornings news was a million times better No sloppy scripts here she also knew the Stock Exchange did not close this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was listening to the news on TV 3 @ 7.30 today Monday . The lady with te DART accent was informing us about yet another cock up involving the HSE last night.

Now did she use the words "cock up"

(waits for the response to this post!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TV3 give the impression the news is a pain and is better done elsewhere.

For them it probably is. If TV3 had its way it would be non stop soaps, "reality" tv and celebrity bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

TV3's an awful station, to be fair. It's just a non-stop cycle of TV3 employees appearing on various TV3 shows, interspersed with a few people who appear as guests on various shows and some of the models that appear on TV3 shows. They recycle everyone because they can't afford to pay anyone that's half-decent. They decided a long time ago to go for cheap, high volume programming and you can see the results of that now.

In there it really is just a case of hanging around for long enough that you're offered your own show. Then when it doesn't quite work they shake up the presenters and you're sent off to work on something else. While you wait to get another show.

brophs wrote: »
    They recycle everyone because they can't afford to pay anyone that's half-decent.

Or they don't want to. At least someone in sports realized that it might be a good idea to change around presenters, Trevor Welsh and Aidan Cooney never seemed to be off. Imagine if they had been given Rugby and GAA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

No she did not say cock up .................why

Irony. My posts aren't well laid out in general so I amn't being rude when I say this but you had a few typeos in your OP, while you also used slang. (I don't care about such things in posts, I just thought it was Ironic).

When I wrote the post I was sure a few posters would reply with some smart answer about the newsreader saying "cock up". (not that I was actually waiting for a reply!).
    They never seem to abide by advertised time on this

What do you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    For them it probably is. If TV3 had its way it would be non stop soaps, "reality" tv and celebrity bollocks
    They would rename the channel ITV 1 Ireland if they could get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Dymo wrote: »
    At the weekend all they have is two 15 minute bulletins?

It's actually only 5 mins on Sat and Sun - which is ridiculous. The main news on weekends is usually sport - but not a thing on the news on a weekend. It's like they're saying 'if want to know all the soccer or GAA results ye'd be better off going to RTE cause we couldn't be bothered'.

When Sports Tonight finished, I thought there would be an opportunity to move it to the weekends - pump a bit more money into it - get few guests in, have a call-in show, just for an hour or something. But no, they'd rather repeat The Cube. :mad:

Advertisement