Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote PC access using Android

• 13-08-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for an app (currently using a HTC Desire) that will allow me to get remote access to my computer at home. I was looking at LogMeIn, but from some of the comments here, that app seems overpriced and not that great. Anybody have a reccommendation for an app that'll allow me to do this? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Gmote allows some control but you need to be able to see the machine...VNC would allow complete remote control, tried it briefly and worked ok...both free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Thanks man. I'll have a look into VNC,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Let me know how it goes itnerested myself.

Also the utorrent app supposidly lets you run torrents etc and schedule from your phone to pc, but couldnt get that to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I found this easier to use than Logmein, but couldn't get the port forwarding working correctly on my router so I was limited to home use.

http://www.xtralogic.com/rdpclient.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Phonemypc is very good. Only $10 while it's in beta too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Remote VNC is the best VNC client I've used, the same company do an rdp client as well. both ad-supported and paid versions

I tried another VNC client but it was very slow. They'll both need some tinkering to connect to your home PC especially if you dont get a static IP address from your ISP (more than likely)

For connecting to your home PC without having to configure port-forwarding on your router, the phonemyPC app looks good for the price

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have used gmote also. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Best three would probably be VNC, LogMeIn and PhoneMyPC. Look them up on youtube so you can get an idea of their functionality and how they look and operate. No one is a clear winner. It really depends on which one suits your needs best and obviously which one you think is worth the cost.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Also the utorrent app supposidly lets you run torrents etc and schedule from your phone to pc, but couldnt get that to work
    Had a remote torrent app when I first got my phone but I found it redundant when I could just remotely access my desktop. It became a waste of space on the phone and it wasn't any quicker or efficient than my remote desktop app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I use PocketCloud for VNC and RDP. Works great both on the local network and through ConnectBot SSH/forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Logmein works well for me, along with torrent-fu for controlling utorrent remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Hi,

I was wondering if such an app existed that allowed you control your PC like a wireless keyboard / mouse perhaps using bluetooth instead of wifi / 3g.

I see remote desktop access would brutally achieve this but it'll have lag. I was looking for something much more simple so you can control you pc from a couch while you are actually at its screen.

Anyone know if some app like this exists?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

groom wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if such an app existed that allowed you control your PC like a wireless keyboard / mouse perhaps using bluetooth instead of wifi / 3g.

I see remote desktop access would brutally achieve this but it'll have lag. I was looking for something much more simple so you can control you pc from a couch while you are actually at its screen.

Try gmote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

groom wrote: »
    Hi,

Gmote is quite good, although I've only used it over Wifi - not sure if it supports Bluetooth.

There's another App called PRemoteDroid which may appears to have what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Just discovered Pocketcloud, having a quick play with it and it looks promising. Linux desktop (family PC at home) on my HTC Desire -

screenshot_12.png

http://www.wyse.com/products/software/pocketcloud/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I've got Remote RDP lite to connect using remote desktop connection.
    I already use it to access my pc from other pcs. so this lets me use my exising setup.

Advertisement