Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire to ipad internet sharing?

• 23-07-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Heyo
    I was just wondering if it'd be possible to share net connection between my desire and an ipad? Given the crappy way the 3g on the ipad is set up, a handy and cheaper get around would be to use my desire when there is no wifi...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

The official software for Desire (2.1) only let's you share internet via USB. To share via wifi you need to install an updated rom (2.2) (or rooted 2.1). This needs root, look at one of the many other threads here.

Is quite easy and worth doing, you will be waiting a few weeks longer for official update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Void wrote: »
    The official software for Desire (2.1) only let's you share internet via USB. To share via wifi you need to install an updated rom (2.2) (or rooted 2.1). This needs root, look at one of the many other threads here.

Is quite easy and worth doing, you will be waiting a few weeks longer for official update.

Would this open you up to tethering charges? Vodafone seem to have a separate charge for tethering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

kin9pin wrote: »
    Would this open you up to tethering charges? Vodafone seem to have a separate charge for tethering.

No they can only screw iPhone users like that, thanks to apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

lol I didn't know there was tethering charges on the iphone

Inquitus wrote: »

Brilliant thanks! Going to Spain tomorrow (I'm on vodafone so data comes out of my add-on). This means I can connect my laptop and (maybe for a fee ;) ) let my brother connect his iphone.
    I knew there was a reason I switched to android!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hold on Kin9pin, don't roam with data in Spain! The usage will not come out of your package when roaming and you will be charged a bomb if you use it!

The difference between iphone and desire is, with my 80eur monthly package with 2gb included DATA, I can use this data to get my laptop connected to the net, for an iphone to do the same thing, I would have had to buy an add on data package for "tethering" because apple let operators do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I used my data on and off in Spain a few months ago (I was very careful about only using it for a couple of mins at a time and disconnecting when I was done), and my bill when I got back was €150. Beeee caaarrreeeefffulllll!!!

This has been confirmed numerous times by Vodafone. If you have a data bundle and connect using the live.vodafone.com apn all data roaming comes out of the bundle. This is worldwide and it's also been confirmed that you can connect to any carrier....not just vodafone.
    So far I have done this in UK, Germany, Spain and even in New York and haven't been charged a bean.

Here's one of the many threads on the subject with confirmation that the live apn comes out of your bundle no matter what country and carrier. It's the reason I bought sim-free and stayed with vodafone.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66319103

oh, and sorry Cianos I don't mean to hijack your thread....I suppose it is related.

kin9pin wrote: »
    This has been confirmed numerous times by Vodafone. If you have a data bundle and connect using the live.vodafone.com apn all data roaming comes out of the bundle. This is worldwide and it's also been confirmed that you can connect to any carrier....not just vodafone.
    So far I have done this in UK, Germany, Spain and even in New York and haven't been charged a bean.

Here's one of the many threads on the subject with confirmation that the live apn comes out of your bundle no matter what country and carrier. It's the reason I bought sim-free and stayed with vodafone.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66319103

oh, and sorry Cianos I don't mean to hijack your thread....I suppose it is related.

Wow, really? I've my desire set to not use data when roaming, so as long as I've the vodafone live APN set (and no other one) I'll never be charged roaming rates? :eek: Sounds too good to be true!

ON TOPIC: Cianos, remember we tried to connect your desire to mine and it didn't pick it up? It's probably because it's an AD HOC signal, whatever that means so the desire didn't pick it up :(

cormie wrote: »
    Wow, really? I've my desire set to not use data when roaming, so as long as I've the vodafone live APN set (and no other one) I'll never be charged roaming rates? :eek: Sounds too good to be true!

ON TOPIC: Cianos, remember we tried to connect your desire to mine and it didn't pick it up? It's probably because it's an AD HOC signal, whatever that means so the desire didn't pick it up :(

That's what I thought when I heard. Seems everyone thinks the same thing on the vodafone forums as well as all you see is people asking VF staff to confiirm again that it's true

http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2770-iphone-data-package-and-roaming/

Just make sure you're set up to use the live.vofaone.com apn. I have purposely not set up the isp and offices apns on my phone to make sure it doesn't switch any settings by mistake. What it basically means is that you can turn data roaming on if you're on vodafone....if you get a data connection it will come out of your bundle.

• Advertisement

Interesting, but great news!

Why aren't they advertising this? Are they trying to keep it hush hush? They have roaming packages on the site that don't mention anything about being able to use the APN on a data package to connect for free?

It's DEFINITELY out of the package so and they make no money for you connecting via another provider in another country and don't charge as such either? So it's not a case of still connecting to the live apn, but being charged to do so? :)

I always remember reading that data roaming will cost extra out of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

Inquitus wrote: »

so the best phone to have if you want to tether an ipad to, is one running android 2.2 :D oh i want to see those adds on the tele:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yeah so would it be the same with the ipad I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Interesting, but great news!

Why aren't they advertising this? Are they trying to keep it hush hush? They have roaming packages on the site that don't mention anything about being able to use the APN on a data package to connect for free?

It's DEFINITELY out of the package so and they make no money for you connecting via another provider in another country and don't charge as such either? So it's not a case of still connecting to the live apn, but being charged to do so? :)

I always remember reading that data roaming will cost extra out of Ireland?

I don't know why they're not advertising this - it's a dealbreaker for someone who roams a lot.

I was very sceptical myself but tested it a little bit and checked on VF's poxy website (when it finally catches up with your usage) to see that it was included in my package. It was. The only stipulation is to stay on the VF Live APN.

I've been using it happily in China for the last week. I thought the Desire was a great phone before now but it really excels with data roaming. I wandered around Kunming using Google maps and GPS to navigate. (By the way, contrary to a lot of BS on these boards, Google maps doesn't use a lot of data - Kunming, a city 3 times the size of Dublin, used about 15 MB).

It also subverts the Chinese government's internet blocking as you can still access such subversive sites as Facebook. Your IP address is Irish.

With data you can use Google Translate which is a godsend in China and a host of other services. Places Directory is even quite useful.

And, of course, when the internet in your hotel room doesn't work and the staff don't give a flying f*** you just plug your phone into your laptop and off you go.

That's great news alright, so just to be sure before I switch data roaming on, as long as the only APN thingy I have in
    settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>access point names are Vodafone Live! (live.vodafone.com - port 80) and the only other one I have is Vodafone MMS (mms.vodafone.net)... I'll get the roaming taken out of my allowance? :)

How can I be sure another APN is never added by mistake, or must I do it (or avoid doing it) manually?

Advertisement