Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Android App Recommendations for.......

• 25-05-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if people could give me their experiences on the best apps for the following tasks (preferably free or cheap)?
    1. Football scores (is there an official sky sports centre app?)
    2. Camera related applications
    3. Web browser
    4. Remote access to PC
    5. Divx / video player
    6. Social networking / gmail
    7. Music playing software
    8. Calculating distance travelled plotting routes etc. (for cycling / jogging)
    9. Sat nav (for out of car use)
    10. Any apps for downloading youtube, flash video etc.
    11. eBay
    12. MS Office Viewer
    13. PDF Software
    14. SMS software (similar to Eirtext etc. possibly cabbage?)
    15. Managing data usage
    16. Managing on / off of 3G, wireless, bluetooth etc.
    17. Weather
    Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just wondering if people could give me their experiences on the best apps for the following tasks (preferably free or cheap)?

1. Football scores (is there an official sky sports centre app?) Google Scoreboard for multisports
    2. Camera related applications Qik allows nifty and fast sharing of Vids to youtube etc
    3. Web browser For me the default browser does best, but Skyfire and others are well regarded
    4. Remote access to PC logmein ignition when its out of beta
    5. Divx / video player nothing if you find something reliable let me know
    6. Social networking / gmail default HTC Sense and Android Apps
    7. Music playing software
    8. Calculating distance travelled plotting routes etc. (for cycling / jogging)
    9. Sat nav (for out of car use) Google Navigation is free
    10. Any apps for downloading youtube, flash video etc.
    11. eBay
    12. MS Office Viewer Documents to Go, tho the full version is paid and you dont want to be dealing with big files
    13. PDF Software Acrobat reader
    14. SMS software (similar to Eirtext etc. possibly cabbage?) Handcent for GSM Messages, cabbage for webtexts from your phone
    15. Managing data usage 3G Watchdog does me
    16. Managing on / off of 3G, wireless, bluetooth etc. Locale is the best criteria specific profile manager uses location among many other things, very versatile, silent at work, Wifi only on at home, BT only at home etc. anything is possible, costs $10 though
    17. Weather Default Sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks for that. I've been looking around for a divX player. Looks like these guys have one in development.

Any recommendations on music software anyone?

Would google have to constantly update all the time as your moving through 3G? Only have a 1GB allowance and just want to make sure it wouldn't use it up too quick and drain the battery also

Thanks for that. I've been looking around for a divX player. Looks like these guys have one in development.

Any recommendations on music software anyone?

Would google have to constantly update all the time as your moving through 3G? Only have a 1GB allowance and just want to make sure it wouldn't use it up too quick and drain the battery also

I have been using mine for nearly a month now and have only got through 200Mb of my 1Gb and thats downloading apps and surfing the web on the go. All the OTA updates of large files for Android updates etc are done by Wifi.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

[*]Football scores (is there an official sky sports centre app?) -
    Soccer livescores
    [*]Camera related applications - Not sure what you mean I lke FX camera.
    [*]Web browser - stock android browser, waiting for firefox.
    [*]Remote access to PC - Don't have anything for this
    [*]Divx / video player - I use video player but don't think there is divx support.
    [*]Social networking / gmail - official Twitter, facebook and gmail apps and widgets.
    [*]Music playing software - 3 or the stock android player.
    [*]Calculating distance travelled plotting routes etc. (for cycling / jogging) - cardio trainer.
    [*]Sat nav (for out of car use) - google maps for me, others use co pilot and say its quite good.
    [*]Any apps for downloading youtube, flash video etc. - not sure about this, I don't tend to download you tube videos though it probably is possible.
    [*]eBay - offical ebay app.
    [*]MS Office Viewer - quick office (pre installed)
    [*]PDF Software - pdf viewer (pre installed)
    [*]SMS software (similar to Eirtext etc. possibly cabbage?) - cabbage is good for webtext, you can also download handcent sms which is an alternative sms app.
    [*]Managing data usage - 3g watchdog
    [*]Managing on / off of 3G, wireless, bluetooth etc. - android power widget, HTC widgets.
    [*]Weather - HTC weather widget, weather channel one is quite good also.
    [/LIST]
    Thanks for any suggestions[/QUOTE]

I'd also redcomend battery time lite for monitoring battery usage and advanced app killer for keeping an eye on what apps are running etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1. Football scores (is there an official sky sports centre app?)Google Scoreboard I guess or Soccer Livescores.No Sky one yet
    2. Camera related applications Could use some more info as to what youre really looking for but id agree with Qik for streaming
    3. Web browser. Stock, Skyfire, Dolphin.Everyone has preferences
    4. Remote access to PC. Logmein Ignition or Phone to PC
    5. Divx / video player. Theres apparently a chinese one but I havnt found it yet.
    6. Social networking / gmail. Facebook, Bloo(facebook), Twitter, Gmail App rules all
    7. Music playing software. Tunewiki would be my favourite or Mixzing
    8. Calculating distance travelled plotting routes etc. (for cycling / jogging) Runkeeper(theres free and pro.Not sure of the differences)
    9. Sat nav (for out of car use). Google Navigation for Data, Navigon or CoPilot for downloaded maps
    10. Any apps for downloading youtube, flash video etc. Theres Tubedroid but im not sure if its on the market anymore.It was free so people could have it just online to download
    11. eBay. Pkt Autions would be better then the official eBay atm
    12. MS Office Viewer Documents to go
    13. PDF Software. Adobe have a free official one
    14. SMS software (similar to Eirtext etc. possibly cabbage?)Cabbage for web, Handcent for standard usage
    15. Managing data usage. 3G Watchdog I agree with
    16. Managing on / off of 3G, wireless, bluetooth etc.. Locale is excellent or you coult just use the power control widget and change whenever you want
    17. Weather. Weatherbug, The Weather Channel or built into HTC Sense
    We're helping :D

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. Didn't realise there were decent apps pre-installed for some of these. Haven't had a chance to power it on yet as in work and only picked up a few hours ago.

What formats of video files does that video player play?

Cheers for that. Didn't realise there were decent apps pre-installed for some of these. Haven't had a chance to power it on yet as in work and only picked up a few hours ago.

What formats of video files does that video player play?

wmv and mp4 of the major formats, unfortunately as almost everything comes in mkv or avi these days it means, much like the iPhone, you are gonna need to convert to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thats a 3rd party app called video player.

I presume its just mp4 type formats but I'm not sure, Don't really watch much video on the phone, so haven't really tested it yet.

All of this is assuming you are using the HTC desire, not sure what apps other android phones come with....

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thats a 3rd party app called video player.

I presume its just mp4 type formats but I'm not sure, Don't really watch much video on the phone, so haven't really tested it yet.

All of this is assuming you are using the HTC desire, not sure what apps other android phones come with....

Yup is indeed the Desire. After upgrading from my 4 year old Sony Ericsson!

Also if any of you have any other recommendations for apps I haven't thought of that'd be great. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Check out "3", or "cubed music player" for music playback. Probably the sexiest mobile app I've ever used.

• Advertisement

Any free alternatives to locale as i'm not goingt o root for the moment?

You can buy apps over wifi if you put in a UK sim card.

Baza210 wrote: »
    You can buy apps over wifi if you put in a UK sim card.

Cheers. Seen that in another thread alright and have applied from 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Inquitus wrote: »
    16. Managing on / off of 3G, wireless, bluetooth etc. Locale is the best criteria specific profile manager uses location among many other things, very versatile, silent at work, Wifi only on at home, BT only at home etc. anything is possible, costs $10 though
    Some dreadful review for Locale in the Market. Sounds good, if a little expensive, though. It does work, yeah?

Music: I've tried what must be the majority of music players in the Market. Mixzing seems like the best to me at the moment. I tried '3'/'Cubed' on strong recommendations but didn't like it much at all. Confused flashy interface just wasn't needed.

Browser: Can't decide between the stock (on HTC, is that the same as the vanilla stock?) for speed, simplicity and "just works" and the Dolphin HD browser for features. Both quite nice anyway.

Social networking: Fring for staying connected to Skype, GChat, MSN, etc.

Did you try the various view modes in Cubed? Didn't like the Cube view but Wall and Boring are very slick.

Advertisement