Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car charger for desire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I bought a home charger for my Desire in Tesco today, while I was buying it, I saw that they had a micro USB plug in car charger there as well. My charger is made by Nokia, it is a standard charger and is perfect for the d
    Desire, AFAIK, the plug in one is Nokia too, so it is a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Htc Desire charger cable is the new argeed upon standard phone charge cable. More info here

I use the usb cable that came with my Nokia E71 as a charge cable for my desire in the car (car stereo has usb socket).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I use the one I got for my N97 in the car, works grand, think its only 500 mha though need to double check.
    Battery % still went up when using GPS albeit slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Yeah, it seems that charging over a usb port is alot slower than powering up from the plug in charger. its a hungry bunny for power when running the gps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I bought the suction cup holder and charger for around £15, great value, works well. If you remove the top (left if landscape) clip you can also use the camcorder while you drive.

Don't know why you would... but you can. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

gerkeo wrote: »
    Htc Desire charger cable is the new argeed upon standard phone charge cable. More info here

I use the usb cable that came with my Nokia E71 as a charge cable for my desire in the car (car stereo has usb socket).

I don't know why they didn't just go with the more common small USB one?

CB-USB-AAMM.jpg

I've loads of them hanging around and only have the one other one that the desire came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I got one in the carphone warehouse for a tenner. Works brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Or you could just buy one of these if you already have a spare cable. Handy for charging the ipod too.
    bigimage.php?pcode=771571

Retail : € 5.95
    ONLINE Price : € 5.65

Edit: This looks very like the item you bought. Can't see why your item wouldn't work. I think all usb chargers charge more slowly so this might be what you have noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

cormie wrote: »
    I don't know why they didn't just go with the more common small USB one?

CB-USB-AAMM.jpg

I've loads of them hanging around and only have the one other one that the desire came with.

Edited, Sorry info was incorrect

• Advertisement

Afraid not :(

It's the one on the right (micro) here that the desire uses. The one on the left (mini) is the more common one which I have loads of as I'm sure everyone does have more of than micro ones.

microusb.jpg?w=494&h=500

Afraid not :(

It's the one on the right (micro) here that the desire uses. The one on the left (mini) is the more common one which I have loads of as I'm sure everyone does have more of than micro ones.

microusb.jpg?w=494&h=500

The micro is or will be the new standard connection for charging mobile phones in the EU going forward so there'll be plenty of them in time.

Not sure why they picked micro over mini, I'd say because it is smaller and because I think you can get twice as many charges from a micro compared to a mini usb

I guess as technology improves, things tend to get smaller alright! What do you mean about twice as many charges? Does this mean the cable lasts longer or gives out more power or what? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I guess as technology improves, things tend to get smaller alright! What do you mean about twice as many charges? Does this mean the cable lasts longer or gives out more power or what? :)

Good, question. I didn't get that either...

Read that again, looks like you can plug/unplug it 10,000 times so its more durable.

Have a read of this below which I copied & pasted from Wikipedia.

The Micro-USB connector was announced by the USB-IF on January 4, 2007[11] and the Mini-A and Mini-AB USB connectors were deprecated at the same time. As of February 2009, many currently available devices and cables still use Mini plugs, but the newer Micro connectors are being widely adopted. The thinner micro connectors are intended to replace the Mini plugs in new devices including smartphones and personal digital assistants. The Micro plug design is rated for 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles which is significantly more than the Mini plug design.[12] The Universal Serial Bus Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification[12] details the mechanical characteristics of Micro-A plugs, Micro-AB receptacles, and Micro-B plugs and receptacles, along with a Standard-A receptacle to Micro-A plug adapter.
    The cellular phone carrier group, Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP), have recently endorsed Micro-USB as the standard connector for data and power on mobile devices.[13] These include various types of battery chargers, allowing Micro-USB to be the single external cable link needed by some devices. As of January 30, 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Apple, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Research In Motion) in the EU and most of the world. Worldwide conversion to the new cellphone charging standard is expected to be completed between 2010 to 2012.
    In addition, on 22 October 2009 the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) announced that it had embraced micro-USB as the Universal Charger Solution its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating*— up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger."[14]

Advertisement