Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I buy a .ie domain with one provider can I easily switch to another provider?

• 12-12-2009 4:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I really want a .ie domain for my blog. I have an American hosting and they don't have the .ie option in their drop down list obviously enough. So I'm thinking about buying it from an Irish provider and transferring it.

But I'm having trouble with another domain transfer, tells me EPP authorisation is required. Will this always be the case? Or maybe it's just because I got the last one for free years ago. Maybe I should just go with .com but as it's an Irish name I'd really like .ie

Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

There are quite a few criteria that need to be met to secure a .ie domain. It should be very easy to transfer a domain once you have ownership.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The thing is I already have an expensive hosting package with my gang so moving is not possible. So, I'm wondering if I can get it and then switch over. If there's a lot of criteria maybe I should forget it, it's only a blog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Once you own a domain you can use it where you wish so it should not be a problem using it with your hosting provider. List of requirements for a .ie domain

Edit: There may be easier ways to get a .ie, perhaps someone here will know more

I looked into it, seems I just have to email them my driving licence. Anyway, for now I bought the .com, I'll deal with the .ie later.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can register a domain with one provider, and have it point to a hosting package with another provider. I would say a large percentage of people do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

dory wrote: »
    Hello,

I really want a .ie domain for my blog. I have an American hosting and they don't have the .ie option in their drop down list obviously enough. So I'm thinking about buying it from an Irish provider and transferring it.

But I'm having trouble with another domain transfer, tells me EPP authorisation is required. Will this always be the case? Or maybe it's just because I got the last one for free years ago. Maybe I should just go with .com but as it's an Irish name I'd really like .ie

Any ideas? :)
    You don't need to "transfer" the domain. All you need to do is update the nameservers (DNS) once the IE domain is fully registered.

You don't need EPP keys for .ie domains

You always need EPP keys for com / net / org / info / biz / tel / mobi and several of the other domain extensions that are using the EPP system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭jmcc

eoin wrote: »
    You can register a domain with one provider, and have it point to a hosting package with another provider. I would say a large percentage of people do this.
    This is actually how some of the .ie market works. The .ie resellers would be the top of the foodchain with their reseller hosters registering domains through the reseller. The .ie reseller is equivalent to a registrar in other extensions. The reason, that a registry-registrar structure does not exist, per se, in .ie is due to the legislation.

Regards...jmcc

eoin wrote: »

Sorry to have to resurrect this thread but I'm still lost! I can't figure out how this 'pointing' business works. I'm going to buy this Irish domain now, and then how do I get it to show up in my hosting package?
    Pardon the ignorance!

EDIT: I figured it out!! Thanks anyway people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

just to confirm - when you register the domain with a domain registery company they will ask what name servers you want the domain to point at.
    This will be the server that will hold what ip address to point your domain at so people can view the webpages.
    On your hosting company you should have set up your new domain so your company knows to accept these requests... and simply use their DNS servers and you are away.
    it will take some time for the domain name to update (you probably know). Propogation times for ie domains used to be usually longer than com domains. but mine was propogated in less than a day. (a little meatier of response of the blank knight rep gave)

im sure thats the answer you got

Advertisement