Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser Eye Surgery

• 28-10-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I am looking into getting laser eye surgery but not sure where the best place is to go in Cork. Can anybody give me advise on which place to go and rough price. Both eyes are -2, I really want to find the best place to go to more so than the cost of it.

Thanks
    Denise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I'd Laser surgery 2 years ago this week! :)
    I went with Optilase and I'd definitely recommend them, I'm very happy with my experience and hassle free eyesight.

I'd "over used" contact lenses (7am-11pm daily for years) to the point that my right eye could no longer tolerate a lens for more than 1 hour.
    I had nice glasses - light frames with the best crizal forte Essilor lenses but I never felt comfortable wearing glasses.
    Eventually I went to a well recommended Optician (Gilna in Ennistymon), he was the 4th or 5th Optician I'd seen down through the years but the one with the most modern equipment and the only one that didn't push eye glasses on me.
    He gave my eyes a full scan/health check and asked me did I ever consider Laser surgery. He told me that with correction I'd have 20-20 vision.

My sister just had Laser surgery with Optilase and got a good result.
    So I started looking into it - some friends and colleagues had surgery elsewhere (the Mater private etc) - all with different outcomes. I also had a consultation with Ultralase but I found them to be very pushy, and someone posted in this Forum they were in financial trouble so I went with Optilase and it worked out well for me.

I researched the different Surgeons and found that most of them have worked for the different clinics at one stage, either in Ireland or the UK. I think I even found their profiles on LinkedIn. I was happy that the surgeon I had was one of the most experienced.

My eyes were -2.25 & -2.5 and the surgery cost around €2,650 I think the cost varies from person to person. I was able to claim 20% back on the Med1 the following January.

For me the procedure was not painful, they dosed my eyes with lots of anaesthetic. I was very nervous beforehand and took the valium tablet they offered. Only discomfort I had afterwards was when some dry skin got into my eye (dry skin as I couldn't wash my face post surgery). I found the Optilase's aftercare was excellent, they were very accomodating with scheduling/rescheduling the appointments.

Ask friends/family who they went with, research online, read the feedback on here. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭_dublinlad_

IMO you can not possibly find a more qualified eye surgeon in Ireland then Prof Michael O'Keefe (Mater Private). I am aware you are in Cork, but if you want the best then he is your man. €3,750 for both eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

IMO you can not possibly find a more qualified eye surgeon in Ireland then Prof Michael O'Keefe (Mater Private). I am aware you are in Cork, but if you want the best then he is your man. €3,750 for both eyes.

+1 to Prof. O'Keefe. Excellent surgeon. I couldn't have asked for better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭_dublinlad_

I got there Magenta old buddy old pal. I'm @ week 10. Two lines better then 20/20 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I got there Magenta old buddy old pal. I'm @ week 10. Two lines better then 20/20 :D

Yeeeoowwwww!!! Delighted to hear :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Another +1 for Prof O'Keefe. I haven't had laser yet, but I had a lens implant a few months ago. Fantastic aftercare

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

I went with Mr.Crewe-Brown at Optilase in Dublin(Ely place). Very nice man. Talked me through the whole experience and put me very much at ease. Needless to say I was very nervous about having the procedure done.The recovery took slightly longer then expected but 100% worth it in the end. Perfect vision now.
    Very professional. Give yourself a good week or even two weeks for basic recovery. I think the "back to work the next day" claim may be for only the most minor procedures.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hatchet89

I have been looking into this for a while but I'm still not sure whether or not to take the plunge. Do most places have some form of payment plan? Can't see myself having up to €3,500 to spare anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Denise179

Hi Hatchet89
    They do offer a payment plan but to be honest I'm not sure how it works. It is definitely something you should try and o if you can get the money together. I had mine done 6 weeks ago now and I am delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fay68902

Denise179 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking into getting laser eye surgery but not sure where the best place is to go in Cork. Can anybody give me advise on which place to go and rough price. Both eyes are -2, I really want to find the best place to go to more so than the cost of it.

Thanks
    Denise

It’s been 2 years since am working in a well known IT firm. I had mild problems with my vision before I started my carrier. But it got worsened due to the constant push I gave to my eyes. I underwent a corrective laser eye surgery from See By Intravision at Oakville two months back. Now, I feel the difference and I make sure that I give proper rest to my eyes from my usual working methodology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement