Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Posts

Options
  • 02-05-2015 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

So I've been paying a little bit more attention to boards.ie recently. The fact that I'm fairly mouthy and unrepentant has resulted in several infractions and a few bans, including one permaban which I'm pretty amused about.

Now, although I've had my fair share of tete-a-tete with anonymous interwebbers but I just can't get annoyed enough with a screen of text that I'd seek to have disciplinary action enforced against someone for expressing an opinion. So I'm wondering, have you ever gotten so annoyed with someone that you reported them? If so, what did they do that was the last straw for you? Finally, did you feel enthrallingly vindicated when you finally pressed that button?

Please, do tell...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Why would I use the report button when I can back seat mod and feel like a bad ass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Harrassed /spam pmed me and or sexually weirded me out.

When a poster gets abusive, the report facility is so much better than reacting and giving them what they want. Plus it's what the mods want, rather than tidy up some chain of abuse and counter abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Chloris wrote: »
    So I've been paying a little bit more attention to boards.ie recently. The fact that I'm fairly mouthy and unrepentant has resulted in several infractions and a few bans, including one permaban which I'm pretty amused about.

It's clearly them and not you.

I don't really report posts mostly pms in the past. What usually happens is they re-reg and you look like an ass for being baited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Now, although I've had my fair share of tete-a-tete with anonymous interwebbers but I just can't get annoyed enough with a screen of text that I'd seek to have disciplinary action enforced against someone for expressing an opinion. So I'm wondering, have you ever gotten so annoyed with someone that you reported them? If so, what did they do that was the last straw for you? Finally, did you feel enthrallingly vindicated when you finally pressed that button?

Please, do tell...

They don't make permabans like they used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I report posters if they start insulting other posters or constantly trolling. We don't need people like that on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I have re regged 164 times. I share so many ip addresses with other boardsies, I literally own boards. People think I'm a drug dealer with so many phones.

...now watch as mods check my shared ips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm telling Mod on you! I'm gonna say you pulled my hair and get you sent to bed with no dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I get into heated debates a lot, because I'm drawn to topics that are like that - I used to never bother reporting posts, just gave what I got in heated debates, but then later found out that all that does, is allow posters who try to make debates as uncivil as possible, get away with it - all the while, reporting you for 'giving what you got' (even trying to do this to engage in political censorship).

Mods are highly biased to seeing only what is reported to them, and are very subject to groupthink, because they only have a limited view of what goes on in debates (not criticizing mods - well, I am, but they can't really help it - that's just the nature of things), so if you don't report people when they are being a pain in the ass or uncivil, and explain where you're coming from, can expect mods to only see one side of the story (that side not being your side...).

Better to over-report and avoid dealing with mod action in the first place, than try to explain after it's already happened (when it's almost certain mod action against you will remain, as DRP gives a huge amount of opportunity for further mod messups/bias). 99% of Boards users aren't drawn to heated debate like this though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Fail to report, report to fail

I almost never report posts - I prefer to argue before I call in the feds :)

But I was kinda let down by reporting recently. I reported a few posts where users were recommending obtaining sex through black mail. And the mods did nothing.

I still report posts when I think they are worthy. But not sure why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

anncoates wrote:
    It's clearly them and not you.
    Not saying for a single second that I'm not a belligerent asshoIe. :D
    LadyAthame wrote:
    I don't really report posts mostly pms in the past. What usually happens is they re-reg and you look like an ass for being baited.

Oh god I think if somebody continued to pm me after I stopped replying, I'd absolutely rip them apart.

I was banned from Cork City forums for a week when someone kept saying there was nothing to do in Cork and I listed a bunch of things to do but called them boring. I often get done for jabs like that actually. If they were face to face with me and made themselves out to be a certain way, I'd say the same thing and leave it to them to prove me wrong... But that's not nice in the internets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Never bothered reporting a post on anyone its a bit schoolyard,not matter what you post there's going to be someone sitting there staring at it,festering and stewing in their righteousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I did it once in anger. I regretted it afterwards, nobody likes a stool pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've reported a few posts that were abusive. To me, it's the same as seeing someone abuse a person in real life and stepping in or telling them to stop.

Why some people think that verbal or physical abuse is terrible, but that written abuse should be simply shrugged off, is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

All you AH are BMFers.
    Better to over-report and avoid dealing with mod action in the first place, than try to explain after it's already happened (when it's almost certain mod action against you will remain, as DRP gives a huge amount of opportunity for further mod messups/bias). 99% of Boards users aren't drawn to heated debate like this though... so if you don't report people when they are being a pain in the ass or uncivil, and explain where you're coming from, can expect mods to only see one side of the story (that side not being your side...).
    Yeah, that's a really good point! That's usually why I don't bother refuting the bans, even when I know I probably had the moral high ground (inasmuch as you can have anything resembling that on something as sprawling and schizophrenic as a forum like this). But it makes a lot more sense that I got some of the hilariously stupid reprimands now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Most of the post I've reported are re-regs or when people are just blatant dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Please, do tell...

... could ya not just chill out and find a safe or something. Why all the hate?

But ya, if someones being a dick ya report em ... if you dont know what that's about then yer probably the person being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

It is a bit sad that people bother reporting posts.

I have a fancy mouse with a ball bearing scroll wheel. It's a joy to use. So I use it to scroll on by a scuttery post rather than use the less rewarding click button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I only ever use the report button to ask a mod to delete posts I've made when not sober that I feel are too personal or stupid. Or too emend something I can't. Stuff like that. They are very good for obliging, credit where it's due. I think I've reported one or two posts, but it's not something I generally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I only ever use the report button to ask a mod to delete posts I've made when not sober that I feel are too personal or stupid. Or too emend something I can't. Stuff like that. They are very good for obliging, credit where it's due. I think I've reported one or two posts, but it's not something I generally do.

Do they oblige by deleting other people's posts that quote your regrettable post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Way I see it is this: two types of people. You report a post because you want to see the other person get in trouble. Regardless of why, that's the driving goal behind it.
    Then you have people that care about and enjoy the forum(s) they're posting in.

Personally, as a poster I'd report whatever I thought should be reported. As in to me personally was worth reporting. Using the analogy of something being reported at work: I wouldn't care if John comes in ten minutes late. But if John coming in late enough and it means everyone else is having to do more than they should, then yeah, I'd report it.

End of the day if it's a big enough disruption to the forum or it has a habit of affecting someone (mostly trolling in that case) then it gets reported by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aye I'd usually report people if they're spammers or being dicks, not all that bothered what people say to me (mostly), but it annoys me when I see intentionally abusive crap that might affect others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've never reported a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm more of a mindset that it's better to rip apart someone who generally is a problem rather than just report them. It usually gives them a realization that they're not as superior that they think.
    Not that I'd rather someone go on arguing but you get my meaning.

Can't stand someone being abusive to someone else either; especially if it's obvious the victim is really uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Harrassed /spam pmed me and or sexually weirded me out.

lol i never get PMs . Do you guys all send each other PMs? is that a thing? sexual Pms? to anonymous people, anonymously?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    lol i never get PMs . Do you guys all send each other PMs? is that a thing? sexual Pms? to anonymous people, anonymously?
    I didn't pm them.:) I disabled pms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I spse some do and some dont fair enough. Although ive checked out other sites and its just a cesspit of 'screw you maaan'. Obviously mods dont think its worth cleaning up cos nobody reports..

gotta have standards, and I think its the posters that set em over the years by showing dissatisfaction. (its not just the nazi mods who hate the trollin).

Id be interested to see if the OP can get to grips with the notion of a 'standard'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thread reported.

:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement