Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus strike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thee glitz wrote: »
    What is unprofitable to one may not be to all. I do believe in subsidies where necessary, within reason. How can the unions credibly fight the privatisation of something they don't own... maybe they could set up their own bus company and bid for some routes. I understand why they left the talks with management - their only argument against privatisation must be 'because we don't like it'.
    there are plenty of reasons to be against it. what is unproffitable to one isn't to another is complete nonsense. its either proffitable or its not, and the subsidized routes bus eireann and dublin bus run are unproffitable and always will be as they only exist for socially necessary reasons.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Another week of this?!

Tell me - who exactly are paying these peoples salaries?

Us - the taxpayers!

So who do they choose to hurt by having no service?

Us - the taxpayers!

People need to go to school, work, have responsibilities and this interruption that has affected a huge amount of Dublin people today over some petty crap particularly when the cretins involved are some of the highest paid bloody bus drivers in the world as is is downright disgusting! These people have a lot to answer for. I had to inform an elderly lady in her 80's that was waiting at the bus stop this morning that there were no buses. She had to walk with me from Christ Church to the Botanic Gardens as I held her Tesco bags.

I'd give these f*ckers an ultimatum...

"6am tomorrow lads or don't bother coming in on Sunday. You're sacked".

They know that the private tender will threaten their over paid entitled culture.

Sooner we privitise the lot the better
    yes, and we can pay hugely inflated fares and subsidy to private shareholders, or we could go one step further and implement de-regulation and have hardly any bus routes outside the proffitable ones

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Another week of this?!

Us - the taxpayers!

Us - the taxpayers!

People need to go to school, work, have responsibilities and this interruption that has affected a huge amount of Dublin people today over some petty crap particularly when the cretins involved are some of the highest paid bloody bus drivers in the world as is is downright disgusting! These people have a lot to answer for. I had to inform an elderly lady in her 80's that was waiting at the bus stop this morning that there were no buses. She had to walk with me from Christ Church to the Botanic Gardens as I held her Tesco bags.

What do you mean another week?

yes, and we can pay hugely inflated fares and subsidy to private shareholders, or we could go one step further and implement de-regulation and have hardly any bus routes outside the proffitable ones

Yes, because throwing money down the toilet is always a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hugely inflated fares for shareholders.
    Or
    Hugely inflated fares to pay for the union co-op that is CIE.

Pick your poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Another week of this?!

Us - the taxpayers!

Us - the taxpayers!

I agree but just to point out its all of Ireland being ****ed over by them not just Dubs.

Hope Dublin bus runs the unions into the ground with this one, they are so out of touch it's unbelievable.

There will never be progression in anything related to public transport while there are unions involved.

your right. we won't be able to remove transport workers rights while unions are involved. people like you who want workers to have no rights are the reason unions are needed. why would dublin bus want to run the unions into the ground? its in dublin busses interests to ensure this tendering doesn't go ahead. infact its in all our interests as there is nothing to be offered as the NTA is deciding absolutely everything to be offered.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Examples?

If I'm not mistaken Tfl in London do a pretty job by bundling profitable and unprofitable routes together and putting those bundles out to tender
    not really. it costs a huge amount compared to when it was in the hands of london transport, and problems and issues with working conditions seem to be a major problem. looks a success on the surface but go deeper and its not so rosey

your right. we won't be able to remove transport workers rights while unions are involved. people like you who want workers to have no rights are the reason unions are needed. why would dublin bus want to run the unions into the ground? its in dublin busses interests to ensure this tendering doesn't go ahead. infact its in all our interests as there is nothing to be offered as the NTA is deciding absolutely everything to be offered.

Transport workers rights?!

You're living on the moon just like the rest of those people.

We're talking about some of the highest paid bus drivers on planet Earth here! So many young people on the dole lines would love the opportunity to make that kind of money driving a bus around. I say sack the overpaid scum and ask the unemployed if they fancy a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Forgotten password 99

Bus ****!!!!!!!

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's the wrong people who will suffer with this dispute.

And what's this about train services being disrupted this weekend due to maintenance.....did they have to choose this weekend?
    yes . these works were planned well in advance. a long time before a strike was known about. i'd imagine if they could cancel they would, it would probably cost more if they canceled now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I had to inform an elderly lady in her 80's that was waiting at the bus stop this morning that there were no buses. She had to walk with me from Christ Church to the Botanic Gardens as I held her Tesco bags.
    How did she get into town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well personally it would have been in my best interests if they actually did their ****ing job and saved me €60+ on taxis but hey they do nothing and expect support.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As there is no bus I'm about to walk into town which isn't really that far from where I live in the inner suburbs. The Luas is still running, right? I could use the Luas to get me part of the way home.

Specialun wrote: »
    Spot the CIE worker
    he's not a CIE worker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JupiterKid wrote: »
    As there is no bus I'm about to walk into town which isn't really that far from where I live in the inner suburbs. The Luas is still running, right? I could use the Luas to get me part of the way home.

Yeah the luas is running as normal

When I look at the likes of the 59 or the 111 which are up for tender on that list, it's a joke that they're still in existence. Half the time they are empty and when they do have people on it, the core demographic that uses them are those who would not have to pay: read OAPS etc.

So these routes make no actual profit and are often ghost buses.

Those who use Dublin Bus every day and year on year have had to put up with price increases are bascially subsidising loss making routes, why should we? They shouldn't even be up for tender, they should of been abolished ages ago.

Routes up for tender:http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/12/routes.jpg

hence the routes being called "socially necessary routes" . you would still be paying the same if they were abolished as the subsidy would be decreased
    Apparently Irish Rail are carrying out works this weekend as well. If Carlsberg did timing...

yes, its unfortunate timing, but its not irish rails fault. those works would be planned well in advance of any knowledge of a strike. it may infact cost more if they canceled rather then go ahead with the works.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Bring on privatisation, an end to unions being able to bring the country to a standstill and introducing a bus service that is efficient and works instead of the bureaucratic, union interests first mess we currently have
    privatization won't bring any of that. there will still be unions and strikes. the bus service will still work the same but at greater cost to everyone, and the bureaucratic stuff you believe exists has all ready transferred to the NTA.

If DB's service was anyway decent I'd be inclined to support staff striking re the privatisation. But its woeful, and has been for the past 2 decades that I've been commuting via bus. Time to break up their monopoly in this city and try and implement a decent service.

Love the argument someone (probably a DB employee) made a few posts back that was basically "Sure the other company might be just as bad as Dublin Bus, so no point changing things"

Its that attitude that typifies why DB's stranglehold must be broken.
    breaking up dublin busses socially necessary monopoly will lead to smaller more costly monoplies that mean no guarantee of an all out strike. dublin bus has no stranglehold, just a socially necessary one size fits all service meaning economies of scale and lesser cost.

• Advertisement

So you support keeping the horrifically inefficient and unreliable services of DB the way they are?

the routes that are unreliable are unreliable due to lack of enforcement of the rules of the road, not enough bus priority, and more. the bus service can't be any more efficient after that. bus goes from a to b and back

breaking up dublin busses socially necessary monopoly will lead to smaller more costly monoplies that mean no guarantee of an all out strike. dublin bus has no stranglehold, just a socially necessary one size fits all service meaning economies of scale and lesser cost.

Economies of scale?

We're not discussing tearing up earth to lay competitive pipeline infrastructure. We're talking about putting vehicles on the road ffs.

And it is most definitely NOT a necessary monopoly. What exactly is stopping competition in transport services? What possible reason is there to outlaw it? Oh that's right - protectionism.

Bambi wrote: »
    past 15 years my arse, the NTA was formed to drag the state companies kicking and screaming out of the 1980s and that's whats driven the improvements
    actually it was formed to have 1 regulator for all public transport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

privatization won't bring any of that. there will still be unions and strikes. the bus service will still work the same but at greater cost to everyone, and the bureaucratic stuff you believe exists has all ready transferred to the NTA.

So what then? we don't do anything and continue with the ridiculous beuracracy that is CIE, the overpaid rude and not entitled bus drivers, the intransigent unions who always want more and refuse any innovation or progress all leading to the useless and disgusting behemoth of a bus service that is dublin bus that is not in any way for for purpose

LorMal wrote: »
    The Government should pull the plug on them. Open the whole market - no subsidy.

so no public transport then for the majority of people. grand so. we can put the money into IW instead for example
    Let them survive on what they can earn like the rest of us.

yeah. shur tis terrible having to subsidize things that are socially necessary and exist for the greater good. if you can't earn anything or survive then screw you. you can't afford health care or education, not a problem. sounds like a fantastic country
    Lads, it 2015 not 1972 - get working or **** off.

or, stop working until this nonsense is dropped and we can get back to the NTA implementing the bus service that is needed using public money and a public company. the way these workers are being treated having to go out on strike because the NTA won't talk is like as if it was 1972. the fact its 2015 means nothing

Same thing applies to the current system where DB operates virtually as a monopoly so there is zero incentive to increase efficiency or service value as there is no viable competition to take the business away from them
    but were not going to get competition either way. it will be 1 operator on your route and you will like it. that will be the case for i suspect the vast majority of people. if we had multiple operators running all routes you would have a point, but most routes aren't viable enough, and where they are there are multiple operators all ready. the bus service can't get any more efficient until more bus priority and more enforcement of traffic laws happens.

This strike has nothing to do with their employers. That's what makes it an unlawful strike, and that is how DB and BE can take the unions to court over the money they are losing.
    who said its illegal. bus eireann and dublin bus only believe it is, it may turn out not to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

We all know CIE can win any tender.

What with their trim overheads & consistent service.

They have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

but were not going to get competition either way. it will be 1 operator on your route and you will like it. that will be the case for i suspect the vast majority of people. if we had multiple operators running all routes you would have a point, but most routes aren't viable enough, and where they are there are multiple operators all ready. the bus service can't get any more efficient until more bus priority and more enforcement of traffic laws happens.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result, the current setup is not working and never will, either we scrap it and privatise or scrap it and start a new public bus operator completely separate to DB, the only problem is the unions are going to oppose both cus it means change which they ALWAYS refuse to cooperate with without a nice big carrot which starts the problem all over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

If anything this strike just goes to show how ridiculous this country really is, urban sprawl and a severe lack of infastructure is the elephant in the room here, but this will not be addressed as usual!

Advertisement