Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reporting Posts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Ah I didn't mean piling on with reported posts - nevermind :) Oh I've been down that latter route ;) too far gone I think.

Bribery might work.
    Say, didn't you mention an issue in AH? I take gold.
    Gold works. :cool:

In all seriousness, if you actually do think a mod is being biased against you and it warrants attention, there are avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Bribery might work.
    Say, didn't you mention an issue in AH? I take gold.
    Gold works. :cool:

In all seriousness, if you actually do think a mod is being biased against you and it warrants attention, there are avenues.
    Ha :)
    Ah it's not a particular mod or anything - it's kind of a wider issue, where people might not even realize having a bias (so it's nothing personal) - it's hard to explain (and the fact that it's hard to explain, is part of the problem too :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Do they oblige by deleting other people's posts that quote your regrettable post?

They did for me, yeah. Had some stuff I thought was too personal quoted and the Mod deleted it. I sent them a message though, I think. They were really sound about it. My opinion of the mods went up after it tbh. I really thought they'd be awkward, on other sites they'd be thick about that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Chloris wrote: »
    I don't know if that's analogous, because that's real life. Him doing that makes everyone have to work harder. I don't really think anyone has to work hard on a forum. Maybe the moderators, but surely by reporting you're making more work for them.

In the short term, yes, but by reporting a post and allowing a mod to deal with it sooner rather than later may save them an awful lot more work further down the line if the thread descends into a trainwreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

LadyAthame wrote:
    I'm sensitive as a person. Generally in the world you take yourself away from with different levels of sensitivity. I can take myself away from boards if I don't like it. You don't want to stop other peeps having fun. You can come back after a bit.
    Yeah, you're right to really. There's no talking to a lot of people. Users of internet forums who purge all their real world psychological damage by abusing strangers are pretty sad, too.

LadyAthame wrote:
    That is bullying what you are saying if it was really unjustified. But generally mods don't take action unless it goes against the charter etc.

Ah you can twist the charter on most subfora to cover just about anything!

And weirdly, since I mentioned the bans I got here, one of them was lifted early!
    I agree with Komradebishop about the borderline trolls though who are more difficult to police. It does get frustrating to see them carry on with seeming impunity. I know it's probably because they don't quite cross the line so the mods' hands are tied.
    I actually just adopt a "someone else will probably report that dope" approach. Which is probably the worst thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I got banned from AH for 3 months for saying "murica" :rolleyes: A phrase that everyone uses here. The AH regular yank, we all know him...sings praises and defends America, mentions America at every opportunity because he lives there, that guy :rolleyes: He even made a thread in feedback to complain about me to go along with the reporting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

It's taken everything in my power not to refer to the Czech Nazi Stag as 'The Alcololcaust' as a joke in the relevant thread in case it incites too much hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It's taken everything in my power not to refer to the Czech Nazi Stag as 'The Alcololcaust' as a joke in the relevant thread in case it incites too much hatred.
    Well I think that's brilliant, and I found the stag to be horrible (not just the nazi regalia but just the general asshole behaviour). It's only a joke, there's no badness behind it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I got banned from AH for 3 months for saying "murica" :rolleyes: A phrase that everyone uses here. The AH regular yank, we all know him...sings praises and defends America, mentions America at every opportunity because he lives there, that guy :rolleyes: He even made a thread in feedback to complain about me to go along with the reporting :rolleyes:
    Was it just for saying Murica or was there a build-up of stuff before that, with Murica being the final straw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Was it just for saying Murica or was there a build-up of stuff before that, with Murica being the final straw?

Build up of stuff apparently :) apparently I upset people and don't contribute constructively to AH :confused:

but in that thread, all I said was Murica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I am thinking of going into the mustard forum and saying MAYONAISE....just cuz..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've used it a handful of times I think, never in relation to anyone's reaction to myself though . I think one was where someone had posted something absurdly offensive using someones full name. The other times have been similar instances where I've seen similar things where someone not there to defend themselves was easily identifiable in "real life".
    I think that system works well really, otherwise the place would be over run by cliques and it wouldn't be nearly as easy to engage with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I see blatant re-regs right back at the same forum, on the same thread their previous incarnation just got banned from, I will report that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

osarusan wrote: »
    When I see blatant re-regs right back at the same forum, on the same thread their previous incarnation just got banned from, I will report that.
    How do you know though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In one particular case, it was the same two words, had a number at the end. Something like Hotdog1, for example.

Over the course of about 4 hours, it got up to about Hotdog10, with each one getting in a post or two before being banned.

Crazy, sad stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's quite simple most mods cannot read at 500 wpm. They cannot read all the posts and all the threads. It's up to users to provide feedback to mods so as to maintain the quality of discussion. The only thing worse than failing to report a post is cherry picking the reports to posters you disagree with while ignoring the infringements of others you're in agreement with.

The health of any forum depends on the reporting of posts, the impartiality of those reports and the impartiality of the mods. If either or all of those three things are missing in significant quantities the forum suffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have reported posts set up for an email alert. It just means I can let folk at it and take a look if needs be.

Whats worse though is if people don't report then posters start moaning on-thread about the forum has gone downhill, or the mods are letting certain people away with things.

I think some folk get the impression we're watching 24/7. ~So a little bit of trust to not be a dick goes a long way...

Maybe have read of the charter OP, anything about reporting posts in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Turtwig wrote: »
    The health of any forum depends on the reporting of posts, the impartiality of those reports and the impartiality of the mods. If either or all of those three things are missing in significant quantities the forum suffers.

Pretty much this. Any long term posters in AH will know how fast some threads can descend in to train wrecks.

Never bothered reporting a post on anyone its a bit schoolyard,not matter what you post there's going to be someone sitting there staring at it,festering and stewing in their righteousness.

I would have thought responding with abuse and thinking one can out abuse them is the epitome of the schoolyard. If someone starts doling out the personal stuff, dealing with it in the correct manner prescribed in the forum is hardly childish.

And weirdly, since I mentioned the bans I got here, one of them was lifted early!

OK this is an outright lie.

You have had two forum bans on your account. One of which is permanent and one of which is in place since 1st May for another forum and has not yet been lifted. You have had three infractions, all of which are long expired and none of which were for this forum.

On that note, I'm closing this thread up as it is clearly an poor attempt to troll.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement