Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of cycle to work scheme

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Issuing fake invoices is permitted under the scheme? You're only allowed buy complete bikes or listed safety equipment. What I'm talking about are people buying new race wheels or, in one case, several hundred euro worth of energy gels.

Pffft,childs play.

Try a lawnmower and a consaw.!

(Needless to say this "bikeshop" is not approved as part of the scheme anymore and the "customer" has been asked to produce a bicycle worth €1,000 or talk to Revenue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

This thread is about the cycle to work policy, not about rules of the road. Let's get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Most of my mates availed of the B2W scheme, most still drive to work. The bikes they bought were TTs MTB or Road, since they have started cycling not to work but as a fitness tool the loss of man hours through sickness is down 70%. So I say its a winner all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gumbi wrote: »
    Anyway, to address your comment. The analogy is not accurate as the government is not supporting your buying your car. One should not be able to buy a luxury bike (I've seen people buy 900 plus euro bikes simply because of the discount) simply to go in and out to work.

cars are hugely subsidised through a massive road network that we all have to fund, the majority of which is only needed for millions of private cars, not to mention the cost of traffic generated by them and the envirmental impact.

Now I'm not against people having cars but a bit of perspective is needed. Roads could be much smaller if it they just had to cater for PT, commercials and bikes, saving the state billions a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thread is getting ridiculous at this stage. Who'd have thought a tax measure on bicycles would raise such generalisations, urban myths and scintillating debates on the rules of the road?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement