Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minister Hogan passed up option to save €350m on water meter installation

• 26-04-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-3088254.html
    Environment Minister Phil Hogan snubbed a private-sector offer to finance water meters that could have saved over €350m.
    German infrastructure and energy giant Siemens offered to foot the €810m-plus cost of installing meters in 1.3 million Irish homes back in 2010, but Mr Hogan didn't pursue the option when he took over at the Department of the Environment.
    One of the biggest players in the British water meter market, Siemens proposed funding the fitting of water meters through an investment to be paid back through savings made in the multibillion-euro cost of providing water services once the meters were installed.
    Instead the National Pensions Reserve Fund will be raided for €450m to pay some of the bill. The loan from its coffers will have to be paid back with interest at commercial rates, Mr Hogan has admitted, which would be at least €350m. Added to the estimated €810m installation fee, that brings the national water meter fitting bill to well over €1bn.
    So Big Phil wants to raid the National Pensions Reserve Fund and set up a new company off the back of Bord Gais just so he can fleece us for installing these things that no one wants, talk about getting the tax payer the best deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I somehow doubt the Seimens deal was quite as simple as stated above, without knowing the details maybe there was a very good reason for not taking them up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My experience with contract bidding (The flooring and construction industry of the US) is that multimillion dollar contracts will land on whomever is willing to tell the biggest lie. Oh yes, these materials are 100% American. Yes, this estimate is the total cost of the project. It was [is] standard practice by big firms to underbid the work to secure the contract and as the project progresses re-project the actual cost of the work onto the property holder. Reminds me of hiring movers, you look for the best offer but the best offer is usually by the guy who will raise his fee on the day of the move, putting you in a bind (we chose to move the sh*t ourselves, incidentally).

Like Cookie Monster has already said there is a lot more to that than saying "I'd do it for tree fiddy less!".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a safer bet going with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't know so well. If they went with the cheaper option and it failed / cost more - imagine the backlash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We dont even know what kind of meters Siemens were offering, they could be trying to offload cast offs that were not approved for use in other countrys on us for cheap to get some money back. Modern water meters are read digitally by simply driving past with special reading equipment, if Siemens were offering bog standard meters, the labour cost of reading them would wipe out any savings in a few years.

As for using the NPRF, it was set up to cover the cost of future pensions and must be invested in order for the fund to grow. Irish Water seems like a good investment because we will need water in the future regardless what happens. The standing charge will ensure the money is repaid but no doubt people have issues with this as well - how dare they build in a charge to ensure they will be able to repay, with interest, the loan they got from our pension fund! What would people rather see the NPRF invested in, an apartment in Santry?

If Hogan took up Siemens on the offer, everyone here would be crying that it is the first step towards privatising water infrastructure in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my own rather distant experience with Siemans, they always seemed to be a professional and well run organisation liable organisation whose post bid processing was liable.
    That the water might have ended up in private hands would be welcome given the general efficiency and cost effectiveness of the Private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sully wrote: »
    Its a safer bet going with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't know so well.
    A new 'Irish Water Board' quango better than a German multinational with decades of experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    We dont even know what kind of meters Siemens were offering, they could be trying to offload cast offs that were not approved for use in other countrys on us for cheap to get some money back. Modern water meters are read digitally by simply driving past with special reading equipment, if Siemens were offering bog standard meters, the labour cost of reading them would wipe out any savings in a few years.
    Right. And they could have been fantastic new modern units that will be superior to the ones installed by Irish Water.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - you nailed all three :)

My understanding was that Siemens were offering to essentially be the first private sector water utility company in Ireland. If so, it wouldn't have mattered to taxpayers what meter they installed.
    As for using the NPRF, it was set up to cover the cost of future pensions and must be invested in order for the fund to grow. Irish Water seems like a good investment because we will need water in the future regardless what happens. The standing charge will ensure the money is repaid but no doubt people have issues with this as well - how dare they build in a charge to ensure they will be able to repay, with interest, the loan they got from our pension fund! What would people rather see the NPRF invested in, an apartment in Santry?
    What does that have to do with a private bid that could have potentially saved €350m?

Having to take €350m from NPRF vs potentially not having to spend €350m, and you portray it as a positive thing.

*sigh*

Tragedy wrote: »
    Right. And they could have been fantastic new modern units that will be superior to the ones installed by Irish Water.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - you nailed all three :)
    And having no clue whatsoever about water meters, who is to install them or the industry in general, you hit that particular nail right on the head.

Irish Water is only in the process of being established so it will fall on the existing water service departments in the County Councils to have meters installed. They in turn will let out the work to private contractors, usually with the contractor supplying the meter. Siemens can still sell their meters to the contractors and if they are cheaper than other meters on the market, and within the specification, the contactors will buy them, reducing the cost of the meter installation programme without tying yourself into a €800m+ contract with Siemens without having a proper tender process. Doing it through the Councils will spread the work around to smaller local contractors and be more beneficial to the overall economy than handing the whole lot over to Siemens.

Siemens were only interested in providing meters because having their meters as standard across the country would put them in an excellent position for future long term contacts such as billing and system management. Bord Gais were chosen to run Irish Water because they already have a nationwide billing system in place so have no need for these services anyway.
    What does that have to do with a private bid that could have potentially saved €350m?

Having to take €350m from NPRF vs potentially not having to spend €350m, and you portray it as a positive thing.

*sigh*
    The NPRF is money that has been set aside to meet as much as possible of the costs of Ireland's social welfare and public service pensions from 2025 onwards, when these costs are projected to increase dramatically due to the ageing of the population. The €350m goes back into the NPRF, which is €350m more in the pot than previously was there and €350m less for the government of the day to come up with. The majority of the €800 given to Siemens would leave the country. Investing in a resource which is vital to the economy and fundamental to sustaining human life, while reducing the cost to the exchequer of providing water is a good idea. Do you have a saver investment or should people go without a state pension despite having paid towards it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

And having no clue whatsoever about water meters, who is to install them or the industry in general, you hit that particular nail right on the head.
    I don't need to know about water meters to point out in your lust to defend your political party of your choice, you, on the basis of no information, facts or knowledge, made up an unlikely scenario in order to spread FUD and make what on the face of it appears to be a stupid decision by Phil Hogan, suddenly a smart and rational move.

Again, you did all this based on no information or facts and just decided to posit a scenario to cast Phil Hogan's decision in the best possible light.
    Irish Water is only in the process of being established so it will fall on the existing water service departments in the County Councils to have meters installed. They in turn will let out the work to private contractors, usually with the contractor supplying the meter. Siemens can still sell their meters to the contractors and if they are cheaper than other meters on the market, and within the specification, the contactors will buy them, reducing the cost of the meter installation programme without tying yourself into a €800m+ contract with Siemens without having a proper tender process.
    I don't recall any mention of Siemens stating the offer would be rescinded if it was put to tender. The point of the Siemens offer was that they would be financing the installation and offering very low commercial interest rates.
    Doing it through the Councils will spread the work around to smaller local contractors and be more beneficial to the overall economy than handing the whole lot over to Siemens.
    Sure :)
    Siemens were only interested in providing meters because having their meters as standard across the country would put them in an excellent position for future long term contacts such as billing and system management.
    FUD or do you have evidence?

The NPRF is money that has been set aside to meet as much as possible of the costs of Ireland's social welfare and public service pensions from 2025 onwards, when these costs are projected to increase dramatically due to the ageing of the population. The €350m goes back into the NPRF, which is €350m more in the pot than previously was there and €350m less for the government of the day to come up with.
    It's also €350m more that the Government has to borrow or cut. Your maths are pathetic.
    The majority of the €800 given to Siemens would leave the country.
    Really? Siemens were going to import contractors to install ~1.2million water meters? Evidence, or more FUD?
    Investing in a resource which is vital to the economy and fundamental to sustaining human life, while reducing the cost to the exchequer of providing water is a good idea.
    Water meters aren't a resource, water is.
    Do you have a saver investment or should people go without a state pension despite having paid towards it?
    What? Seriously, what?

I can't wait for your forthcoming FUD based on scenarios that so far exist only in your head. Please do tell us how amazing Phil Hogan is with your nonsensical maths and silly economics.

I don't need to know about water meters to point out in your lust to defend your political party of your choice, you, on the basis of no information, facts or knowledge, made up an unlikely scenario in order to spread FUD and make what on the face of it appears to be a stupid decision by Phil Hogan, suddenly a smart and rational move.
    Again, you did all this based on no information or facts and just decided to posit a scenario to cast Phil Hogan's decision in the best possible light.
    FG are not my political party of choice. What information, facts or knowledge have you provided. Your senario about meters provided by Siemens being "fantastic new modern units that will be superior to the ones installed by Irish Water" is equally as made up as the senario I suggested above, although I qualified mine by first stating "We dont even know what kind of meters Siemens were offering". I wasnt defending Phil Hogan, I was defending the decision not to hand over a €800m contract to the first guy to knock on the door.
    I don't recall any mention of Siemens stating the offer would be rescinded if it was put to tender. The point of the Siemens offer was that they would be financing the installation and offering very low commercial interest rates.
    I didn't mention Siemens stating the offer would be rescinded if it was put to tender, although it would no doubt change were they submitting an offer as part of a competitive tendering process.
    Sure smile.gif
    FUD or do you have evidence?
    Data and metering services for water utilities is part of their business model, see here. You dont believe having their meters installed across the country will put them at an unfair advantage for any such future contracts?
    It's also €350m more that the Government has to borrow or cut. Your maths are pathetic.
    Neither borrowed nor cut but recouped through a standing charge on customers as is standard with utilities.
    Really? Siemens were going to import contractors to install ~1.2million water meters? Evidence, or more FUD?
    No, but digging a whole is only one of the costs. The task of installing meters to all the houses in Ireland is a huge logistical and administrative challenge, that is why it is best to leave it to the local authority water services department, they have knowledge of the network. With Siemens supplying the meters and providing the technical and adminstrative support to run the operation, they will walk away with most of the money.
    Water meters aren't a resource, water is.
    Installing water meters is investing in water because it saves water.
    What? Seriously, what?
    The money in the NPRF has to be invested to grow the fund, investing in our water infrastructure is a pretty safe investment
    I can't wait for your forthcoming FUD based on scenarios that so far exist only in your head. Please do tell us how amazing Phil Hogan is with your nonsensical maths and silly economics.
    I was giving my opinions based on my experience of the industry, you on the other hand keep mentioning fear, uncertainty and doubt yet you dont know the first thing about this. You think Irish Water would be installing meters, which is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Its a safer bet going with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't know so well. If they went with the cheaper option and it failed / cost more - imagine the backlash!
    But Ireland knows Siemens very well indeed. The new Free State turned to Siemens Schuckert to build it's new power stations.

Siemens worked hand in hand with the ESB to electrify Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Siemens didn't make an offer to Ireland out of the goodness of their hearts. If they invested €350m in Ireland they would be looking for it back some way - most likely in standing and usage charges. It is better that Irish water is a state owned and run utility meaning that they will plough their profits back into the network or general exchequer funding rather than pay dividend to overseas investors.

It would have been short sighted to have taken up the offer. Of course people will criticise the reasons for its rejection without understanding the offer in the first place.

Whether its Siemens or Irish Water that installs the meters they will want to be paid and in the end the bill will fall on the consumer either way. Personally I'd prefer the money to stay in Ireland.

Manach wrote: »
    From my own rather distant experience with Siemans, they always seemed to be a professional and well run organisation liable organisation whose post bid processing was liable.
    That the water might have ended up in private hands would be welcome given the general efficiency and cost effectiveness of the Private sector.

this of course is the flip side of the arguement: they are a company with very good history and reputation and compared to the many names that could have come up they would be a good choice to run something like this IMO.

It is better that Irish water is a state owned and run utility meaning that they will plough their profits back into the network or general exchequer funding rather than pay dividend to overseas investors.
    Or (more likely) sub-contract their buddies / families to run a terrible service at sky-high prices and find themselves top-heavy in €100k+ management within 5 years. I'd rather see a decent German company who know what they're doing and who will lose the contract if they can't provide a quality service at a minimum price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is wrong with investing in something and then looking to make your money back? Some people are obsessed with keeping the private sector out and protecting the bloated public sector. This country does not need more public sector workers it needs private sector workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So how many years until we have competition in supplying water here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What is wrong with investing in something and then looking to make your money back? Some people are obsessed with keeping the private sector out and protecting the bloated public sector. This country does not need more public sector workers it needs private sector workers.
    Privitastion of all services is very simply NOT the answer.
    Sure, privatisation has a place and certain services are more suitable to it than others.
    There are many examples where privitisation hasnt worked out and its amazes me that people believe privitisation s the answer to this countries ills.

I and everyone here, have no idea about the ins and outs of the Siemens offer. They have plenty experience in this area, that is for sure and without knowing the facts, it does look rather short sighted not to have used them in some capacity for some part of this rollout (they may be used anyway to be fair)

kippy wrote: »
    Privitastion of all services is very simply NOT the answer.
    True, it must be considered carefully on a case by case basis.
    What we do know is that the councils currently operating the water supplies are managing to get rid of €1.2 billion per year supplying an estimated (by me) 1.5 million households.

I simply do not believe that €800 per year to make diluted mud come out of my tap is an efficient and well managed system.

And that's excluding the cost of fitting the meter, maintenance (its not going to last 5 years trying to measure diluted mud) and reading it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

this baloney about co.councils doing the buisness and being the bees knees i find laughable, my local co.council is limerick ask many around west limerick about their service, ask around galway about the service that they have, to include any co council and siemens in the same sentence is unbelieveabley naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Siemens didn't make an offer to Ireland out of the goodness of their hearts. If they invested €350m in Ireland they would be looking for it back some way - most likely in standing and usage charges. It is better that Irish water is a state owned and run utility meaning that they will plough their profits back into the network or general exchequer funding rather than pay dividend to overseas investors.

Umm.. have people somehow forgotten the reason for all this?

Where pray tell do you think the "profits" from any of the charges/levies/taxes introduced in the last few years are going, because they certainly aren't being "ploughed" back into Ireland Inc - there's just enough being spent to keep the lights on (unless it's a hospital or Garda station apparently).

If people really think that any money collected from these meters will (beyond the bare minimum needed to keep the system running) be somehow beneficial to us in the longer term then I think ye need to splash some of that water on your face and take a look around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Worth pointing out;

1) Service wont be done by the councils.

2) There will be no installation fee for the meter and no charges until 2014 at the earliest.

3) The offer subject to the first post and many discussions can not be taken up directly. They must tender for the service, like many others, under EU Competition Laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Worth pointing out;

1) Service wont be done by the councils.

2) There will be no installation fee for the meter and no charges until 2014 at the earliest.

3) The offer subject to the first post and many discussions can not be taken up directly. They must tender for the service, like many others, under EU Competition Laws.

Why did he do this before the Fiscal Treaty? I know other countries in the EU have household rates of some kind but people are finally begining to question where all the money is being spent. But begining to question and protesting about it are different I know - at least it is a start.

After everything that has gone before, with Ray Burke, Lowry and the recent findings of the Mahon tribunal, do people really think the government should just hand over a nine figure contract to a private company because they were kind enough to offer to do the work without bothering with a tender process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

We dont even know what kind of meters Siemens were offering, they could be trying to offload cast offs that were not approved for use in other countrys on us for cheap to get some money back. Modern water meters are read digitally by simply driving past with special reading equipment, if Siemens were offering bog standard meters, the labour cost of reading them would wipe out any savings in a few years

Is there any indication that it's proposed to install smart meters? I know that a few utilities companies in the UK are installing them but they're the exception rather than the norm. Bord Gais haven't even installed them on their gas network yet as far as I know, except on a trial basis. A lot of the more recent builds in Ireland are already fitted with volumetric water meters as it is. The local authorities I've dealt with here would specify them as a precondition to connecting to the water supply. I certainlt can't see them rolling out in excess of 1 million of them in the time frame proposed

Foghladh wrote: »
    Is there any indication that it's proposed to install smart meters? I know that a few utilities companies in the UK are installing them but they're the exception rather than the norm. Bord Gais haven't even installed them on their gas network yet as far as I know, except on a trial basis. A lot of the more recent builds in Ireland are already fitted with volumetric water meters as it is. The local authorities I've dealt with here would specify them as a precondition to connecting to the water supply. I certainlt can't see them rolling out in excess of 1 million of them in the time frame proposed
    They are not proposing to install smart meters here. Smart meters are read remotely, the meters being used here will be read by driving past using infra-red technology.

They are not proposing to install smart meters here. Smart meters are read remotely, the meters being used here will be read by driving past using infra-red technology.

OK. Have you got a link to that?

OK. Have you got a link to that?
    A link for what exactly? There has been no mention of rolling out smart water meters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Umm.. have people somehow forgotten the reason for all this?

Where pray tell do you think the "profits" from any of the charges/levies/taxes introduced in the last few years are going, because they certainly aren't being "ploughed" back into Ireland Inc - there's just enough being spent to keep the lights on (unless it's a hospital or Garda station apparently).

If people really think that any money collected from these meters will (beyond the bare minimum needed to keep the system running) be somehow beneficial to us in the longer term then I think ye need to splash some of that water on your face and take a look around.

I haven't forgotten anything. The point I was making was that I would rather see the money paid for water be spent in Ireland - even if its not all spent on water infrastructure rather than be siphoned off to pay dividend to Siemens stockholders overseas.

Siemens offer wasn't generous or altruistic, it was more like the vulture circling over the dying antelope. Can people not understand that?

A link for what exactly? There has been no mention of rolling out smart water meters here.

You mentioned that the meters to be installed here will be read by infrared technology. I haven't seen anything published to say what will be the meter type will be but you sounded like you knew. I was merely enquiring as to your source.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Gurgle wrote: »
    A new 'Irish Water Board' quango better than a German multinational with decades of experience?

I'd actually feel more comfortable at the thought of Siemens being involved than another quango..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

*sigh*
    Are you honestly saying we should take an accounting lesson from the most innumerate media organisation in the country? While Siemens may have said they would cover up front costs of installing meters, they would have demanded that we pay what we currently pay (via taxes and existing water charges) for water, that is cost us the same in the long run.

The concept of 'gobsh!te' comes to mind.
    I haven't forgotten anything. The point I was making was that I would rather see the money paid for water be spent in Ireland - even if its not all spent on water infrastructure rather than be siphoned off to pay dividend to Siemens stockholders overseas.

Siemens offer wasn't generous or altruistic, it was more like the vulture circling over the dying antelope. Can people not understand that?

There are a few core costs

1. Making / buying the meters.
    2. Installing the meters, where required (many properties built in the last 20 years already have meters).
    3. Reading the meters and billing customers.
    4. Any required maintenance and eventual replacement.
    5. Managing and funding the whole operation.

As 1 and 5 are the only 'imported' functions, once a decision to install meters has been made, it is difficult to see how who you select to do the work makes a huge change in the macro economics of the matter.

Indeed, deciding to use funding from the NPRF seems a bit off as (a) is there anything left in it and (b) can Bord Gáis get cheaper funding elsewhere?
    charlemont wrote: »
    I'd actually feel more comfortable at the thought of Siemens being involved than another quango..
    But BGE is actually quite efficient. For a turnover of €1.5bn, it has less than 1,000 employees (most gas installers, etc. are contractors / self employed).

http://www.bordgais.ie/corporate/aboutus

http://www.bordgais.ie/corporate/index.jsp?p=157&n=289

ESB has twice the turnover, but 7-8 times the staff.

http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/ESB_AR_09_ENG.pdf
    http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/ESB-AR-Web-2010.pdf

I think it is inappropriate for a minister or departmental person to be deciding on where or what types of meters should be installed - that should be a decision by Irish Water, based on a whole life cost-benefit analysis of the different types of billing and metering systems are on the market.

To explain, let us say that a meter costs €X to install and it cost €Y to do the monitoring, billing and maintenance. Some meters will cost more, but will be cheaper to monitor. Some meters will cost more, but will be cheaper to maintain or will last longer. If you install strategic / neighbourhood metering and some neighbourhoods have very low usage, individual metering might not be appropriate - the cost of metering might exceed the cost of the water supply.

Finally, having all your cookies in one basket may not be good.

You mentioned that the meters to be installed here will be read by infrared technology. I haven't seen anything published to say what will be the meter type will be but you sounded like you knew. I was merely enquiring as to your source.
    It is the standard type of meter used at the moment in this country and overseas, I cant provide a link to back it up but I very much doubt they will take a step backwards and install analoge meters.

Irish Water will be a subsidiary of Bord Gais so will share many departments with them and will be staffed by people from the existing County Council Water Services departments. You can call this another quango if you want (even if it will be part of an existing semi state company so not duplicating functions and will be staffed by people already in the public service) but it exists only in name at present. The choice is not Irish Water or Siemens so can we drop all this talk about quango v private company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hogan is a really clever person.

will be staffed by people from the existing County Council Water Services departments.

:eek:
    good heavens why? Why can they not interview and recruit from an open pool.

• Advertisement

good heavens why? Why can they not interview and recruit from an open pool.

I'm guessing the official answer to that will be knowledge of the network. Unofficially though it avoids too many redundancies although I'd imagine there will be a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Hmmmmm... I wonder if Siemens were given short shrift because Hogan had somebody else in mind to install the meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Pensions Fund is taxpayers money, right? So now the taxpayer is borrowing his own money, and paying it back to himself with high interest! Is the taxpayer a moron, or being treated as one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You mean the same Siemens that now has been convicted of massive bribery of Greek officials.

See

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

err.. Infra Red requires line of sight

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Hmmmmm... I wonder if Siemens were given short shrift because Hogan had somebody else in mind to install the meters.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Siemens are an electronics company. Siteserv are a roadworks company. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Victor wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Siemens are an electronics company. Siteserv are a roadworks company. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah right, neither of them could have got involved with installing the water meters so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Manach wrote: »

This.

I'd trust Siemens a lot sooner than I'd trust Phil Hogan.

Incidentally is it a coincidence that SiteServe, the utilities company just bought by Denis O'Brien from NAMA for €20m LESS than another bid, has now listed water metering on their website as one of their specialities ? Despite never having done water metering before they are now claiming to be experts in it ?

Hogan & O'Brien have previous form so I'd be expecting Big Phil to be helping out Denis when it comes to awarding that water meter contract. Maybe that is why Hogan dismissed the Siemans bid ?

RATM wrote: »
    SiteServe ... has now listed water metering on their website as one of their specialities ? Despite never having done water metering before they are now claiming to be experts in it ?
    So who fitted all the meters to commercial properties and housing estates built in thr last 15-20 years?

The builders. I bought one myself a few years ago in Chadwicks and fitted it on my side of the stopcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Ok, can we stop with the petty sniping please? And I'd like to remind posters that this is not YLYL: please limit your use of graphics to tables, maps, or something that helps clarify your post (i.e., please don't use rage comics here!).

OT and rage-y posts deleted. Carry on. :)

recedite wrote: »
    The builders. I bought one myself a few years ago in Chadwicks and fitted it on my side of the stopcock.
    And the commercial properties on my street were done by Sierra, a subsidiary of Siteserv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

It was a very interesting proposal by siemens, definitely worthy of serious consideration by the government.
    The taxpayers of the country are due an explanation from govt re: their assessment of the siemens bid, and why the offer was slam-rejected.
    That explanation would answer most of the issues raised here in the thread.
    So c'mon phil, we are due an explanation.

The Pensions Fund is taxpayers money, right? So now the taxpayer is borrowing his own money, and paying it back to himself with high interest! Is the taxpayer a moron, or being treated as one?
    The Pension Fund has to grow in order to cover the increasing cost of pensions due to people living longer and an aging population in the future. In order for it to grow it needs to be invested. The taxpayer would be a moran if it wanted the government to sit on this money and not use it, only to find there was insufficient funds in it in the future. Investing it in reducing the future costs to the exchequer of providing water is sensible.
    bluesteel wrote: »
    Which is why they must be drove past in order to read them.
    deandean wrote: »
    It was a very interesting proposal by siemens, definitely worthy of serious consideration by the government.
    The taxpayers of the country are due an explanation from govt re: their assessment of the siemens bid, and why the offer was slam-rejected.
    That explanation would answer most of the issues raised here in the thread.
    So c'mon phil, we are due an explanation.
    How do you assess the Siemens bid if you have nothing to compare it to? If you want work done on your house do you simply hire the first guy who offers to do the work or do you seek a number of quotes to allow you to determine the best price for getting the work done?

A proper assessment of the Siemens offer would involve seeking more offerings, meaning a tender process. This would take a long time because it would involve preparing tender documents (so that all tenderers are pricing on the same basis and so bids are directly comparable), issuing an invitation to tender, allowing bidders time to prepare their tender, receipt of tenders, assessment of tenders and finally award of the contract. Preparation of the tender documents alone would take months because it would involve liaising with the 34 different water services departments to determine how many of the 1.1m properties connected to public watermains have meter boxes, no box, shared supplies, etc.

All of this is irrelevant of course because Irish Water will only be taking over the operations of the County Council water services departments on a phased basis from January 2015. The water metering programme is to start this year so will be done through the Councils - those who know their networks and have experience of administering such contracts. Does anybody actually have any good reasons why we should take up Siemens offer (in the absence of any other offers to judge value for money) other than not liking Phil Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

Which is why they must be drove past in order to read them.

if you think this is a realistic, reliable way to read meters (especially compared to RF-Wireless) technology, then you are not very technically minded.

Do you have any citation for the use of infra-red in the reading of water meters?

• Advertisement
Advertisement