Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Occupy Waterford to go

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Christ. So has anyone at all contacted the council about this, or do ye wanna arrange a date and we could all meet up and kick it sideways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Christ. So has anyone at all contacted the council about this, or do ye wanna arrange a date and we could all meet up and kick it sideways?
    the problem there is anyone now seen at the camp could be held liable for the whole mess, best leave it to the council or the beardy goate dude who organised the whole thing to sort it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Am Chile wrote: »
    To my knowledge having read posts from their facebook pages, they decided to pack up everything and leave short before new years eve, some others were against this move and took over the camp, it seems those who stayed also decided to call it a day, when they called it a day they should have also packed up their gear and tents, it serves no purpose whatsoever leaving one big tent a few small tents around, before st patricks day, everyone who pitched a small and helped pitch the big tent should go back dow the quay and unpitch all the tents and clean up what they left behind.

Maybe we should all go over to their facebook page and ask them to clean up their mess.

Or maybe I'm asking for a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I had to save to buy any tent I ever owned so I cant understand how these "Hard Done By" occupiers can afford to just abondon perfectly good tents like that.

My suggestion would be to take them down carefully and give them to local youth / scout type organisations. I am sure they would welcome them as they look like good camping gear.

When was the last time you bought a tent? You could pick up about 4 dome tents with a week's dole. Can't believe 3 people thanked this message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

merlante wrote: »
    When was the last time you bought a tent? You could pick up about 4 dome tents with a week's dole. Can't believe 3 people thanked this message.

I bought a tent last year and I paid for it out of my wages!!!

If I was on the dole, my priority would not be buying fu*king dome tents.

I wouldn't have a fu*king clue what you can get on the dole cos I have worked in every ****e job that I could get all my life so I would not be on the dole.

It really pisses me off that there is people who have nothing constructive to add to any debate except attack other people suggestions.

Maybe there is 3 people who have a brain and would not come out with a completely idiotic statement like you could buy 4 dome tents with a weeks dole. Most decent ordinary people who have unfortunately found themselves unemployed in recent times would be concerned with paying their way, their mortgages or rent, put food on the tables, clothes on their kids, pay for ESB, Coal and general living expenses. They more than likely were too busy worrying about all of those things that people in the real world have to worry about and did not have time to be causing a public nuisance on the quay. Your statement proves to me that the dole you receive is too high. Actually on that note, I wonder how many of them spongers refused the dole increases that the governments that they despise so much gave them over the last ten years....

I will unfollow this thread now as it is attracting the likes of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I had to save to buy any tent I ever owned so I cant understand how these "Hard Done By" occupiers can afford to just abondon perfectly good tents like that.

My suggestion would be to take them down carefully and give them to local youth / scout type organisations. I am sure they would welcome them as they look like good camping gear.

Merlante what the hell has it got to do with you when the last time brick session bought a tent and what has the dole got to do with buying a tent you do know not everyone is on the dole I swear some of the responses by you baffles the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I love these little bitch fights that start on here

S28382 wrote: »
    Merlante what the hell has it got to do with you when the last time brick session bought a tent and what has the dole got to do with buying a tent you do know not everyone is on the dole I swear some of the responses by you baffles the mind

Brick Session was quite clearly making some point along the lines of 'how can these guys afford all these tents just to leave them there, given that they are supposedly hard done by?' implying -- I think -- that these hard done by protesters were having a fine lazy life on the dole, or else that they were really rich and therefore had no problems at all... having re-read the post, I am no longer sure what point he was trying to make. But whatever it was, it relied on this supposed idea that tents are so expensive that you might want to carefully dismantle them and give them to the scouts or something. I was merely pointing out that tents are cheap as chips, so much so that you could buy about 4 of them on a week's dole.

I find it baffling and a bit amusing that you and Brick Session seem to think that I am accusing people of being on the dole.

@Brick Session
    Apologies for poo pooing your fine idea about recycling the tents (despite tents being really cheap). However, a better idea might be to go to oxygen or electric picnic on the last day where you could pick up about 1,000 tents in almost new condition just lying around. Also, you seem to be placing me at the heart of the occupy Waterford campaign and assume that I am on the dole. (Other people assume I work for WIT, I'm getting confused now with all this pigeon-holing...) Although I never stayed at the camp, it sounds to me from what you say ("Most decent ordinary people who have unfortunately found themselves unemployed in recent times would be concerned with paying their way, their mortgages or rent, put food on the tables, clothes on their kids, pay for ESB, Coal and general living expenses.") that you agree with many of the aims of the camp, and perhaps you should go down there and help revive the camp, which after all is standing up for ordinary people against the elites that have plunged us into such desperate straits.

I really think that all of these crazy reactions say more about the people making them than about the camp itself!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On the dole or not, it renders their whole protest invalid.

"Ah sure, ain't they cheap enough. Feck em, let the state pay to clean it up" - great attitude to have towards money. Suppose if its not your money your wasting - who cares eh?*

As for the attitudes and opinions expressed here - clearly its a reflection of a lot of peoples thoughts on the Occupy Movements which failed miserably. You can see by the reflection of people here and the lack of interest in the movement publicly that the protesters support is very much in the minority. The problem clearly is them - not us.

*Before someone gets upset, these tents maybe donated OR funded for by a persons hard earned cash OR funded by the dole. I don't know. But what I do know is that it will cost the rest of us money to clean up the mess. These people are unhappy with the government, the bail out and the bankers big spending. In addition, it has cost *someone* money and leaving it thrown there shows disrespect and lack of care for money. They are supposed to represent the hardship the working class people are going through and I think the true working class. Yet, they got tents of some financial value setup and then just abandoned them rather than donating them to good use elsewhere (to someone or a group who cant afford it, regardless of how cheap they maybe) or bringing them home for future use. If they didn't want to do that, they could have at least just brought their mess to a bin.

Sully wrote: »
    On the dole or not, it renders their whole protest invalid.

"Ah sure, ain't they cheap enough. Feck em, let the state pay to clean it up" - great attitude to have towards money. Suppose if its not your money your wasting - who cares eh?*

As for the attitudes and opinions expressed here - clearly its a reflection of a lot of peoples thoughts on the Occupy Movements which failed miserably. You can see by the reflection of people here and the lack of interest in the movement publicly that the protesters support is very much in the minority. The problem clearly is them - not us.

*Before someone gets upset, these tents maybe donated OR funded for by a persons hard earned cash OR funded by the dole. I don't know. But what I do know is that it will cost the rest of us money to clean up the mess. These people are unhappy with the government, the bail out and the bankers big spending. In addition, it has cost *someone* money and leaving it thrown there shows disrespect and lack of care for money. They are supposed to represent the hardship the working class people are going through and I think the true working class. Yet, they got tents of some financial value setup and then just abandoned them rather than donating them to good use elsewhere (to someone or a group who cant afford it, regardless of how cheap they maybe) or bringing them home for future use. If they didn't want to do that, they could have at least just brought their mess to a bin.

It'll nearly cost more to clear up the tents that it did to buy them. Unless they take them down themselves, which they may do yet.

Regarding attitudes to occupy Waterford, all I see, and have seen from the beginning, since before anything was a success or failure or otherwise, was a lot of anger directed towards the occupy camp for all sorts of reasons. That says something to me. The fact that it ended in failure is neither here nor there, really. When it was going well, there were complaints about the sort of people down there, what kind of agendas they might have, and so on. For a bunch of people, arguably misguided, trying to do something about the banks and the bailout, etc., to provoke the sort of rage and long whinging threads on here -- to me -- tells a story of its own. That people can even get so upset about tents... Anyway, it's just my opinion, nobody else has to agree. As somebody said on another thread, "first world problems".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

The occupy movement was a source of ridicule not anger,
    Why was it ridiculed ? Because of the hidden agendas by other groups who had a fleeting interest in the cause.
    As soon as the next shiny cause poped up they were gone!
    As for when it was going well.......it never actually went well, sorry to drop that bombshell on you.

To say people are angry now over a couple of tents, are you for real ?
    It's a fking eye sore, make shift marquee and pallets and other rubbish and it's now being used by junkies.

Nypd wrote: »
    To say people are angry now over a couple of tents, are you for real ?
    It's a fking eye sore, make shift marquee and pallets and other rubbish and it's now being used by junkies.

There has been almost as much negative comment on the occupy movement as there have been on the unemployment crisis in Waterford, and other *real* problems. That camp could be removed in a few hours at relatively little cost. If only high unemployment, inter-generational debt and the loss of national sovereignty could be solved so easily.

I suppose you pick your battles. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

There has been almost as much negative comment on the occupy movement as there have been on the unemployment crisis in Waterford, and other *real* problems. That camp could be removed in a few hours at relatively little cost. If only high unemployment, inter-generational debt and the loss of national sovereignty could be solved so easily.

I suppose you pick your battles. :rolleyes:

You are an apologist for loony left wing causes, or looking at your posts that seems to be the case, they can do no wrong in your eyes, or as you say, for a panacea for all, "that's my opinion" but you should qualify it with "and you are all entitled to it".
    That's just my opinion, it's a pity really because you can be very incisive and to the point on a lot of issues,but when idealogies you hold dear are challenged you lose objectivity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It'll nearly cost more to clear up the tents that it did to buy them. Unless they take them down themselves, which they may do yet.

Ok, so given that the whole movement doesn't like the government wasting money then surely they should aim to save the government and tax payers money by taking down the tents and removing (recycling) all that they can.

To do otherwise means that they don't give a monkey at all how our money is spent. Strange really.
    Regarding attitudes to occupy Waterford, all I see, and have seen from the beginning, since before anything was a success or failure or otherwise, was a lot of anger directed towards the occupy camp for all sorts of reasons.

Anger comes from people because these loons affecting the people they "claim" to represent (look at the small business owners in Dublin) and also from the junk they've left around their "camps". Other then that people just laugh at this group.

That says something to me. The fact that it ended in failure is neither here nor there, really.

I think you'll find it is,
    The whole get-up included so many loons it made a insane asylum look perfectly normal.

These loons criticized the governments for how the country's were run yet they themselves couldn't even run a small camp ground.
    to provoke the sort of rage and long whinging threads on here -- to me -- tells a story of its own. That people can even get so upset about tents... Anyway, it's just my opinion, nobody else has to agree. As somebody said on another thread, "first world problems".

We all agree that having a city (any city) nice looking is important, we can all agree that this is especially important during a tourist season.

I think we can all agree that wasting money cleaning up somebody else's rubbish in the streets of Waterford is also wrong, if you don't see a problem with this then I guess roadside tipping is ok in Waterford.

If they want to protest then they can, however if they are going to have a whole camp setup then they should use it! All of the time. This means if you have tents for sleeping in then sleep in them.

Don't pretend to sleep in them and just leave them around the place, by going home each night it shows that you are only running a half arsed protest.

If they only want to protest during the day then do that, but clear everything up each evening when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

All the shops that supported these protesters should be charged extra to clean up the mess.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    You are an apologist for loony left wing causes, or looking at your posts that seems to be the case, they can do no wrong in your eyes, or as you say, for a panacea for all, "that's my opinion" but you should qualify it with "and you are all entitled to it".
    That's just my opinion, it's a pity really because you can be very incisive and to the point on a lot of issues,but when idealogies you hold dear are challenged you lose objectivity.

Indeed, but what ideologies would they be? Leaving occupy Waterford aside, because I don't believe there was ever a serious debate on what they stood for, with people only focussing on hidden agendas and the optics of the camp, I do firmly believe that we should pursue drastic measures to reclaim national sovereignty, including, where appropriate, letting banks fall, defaulting selectively on debt, playing dirty with Europe, possibly dropping out of the Euro, etc. (Much of this advice could apply elsewhere in Europe as well.) These are not left or right wing suggestions, indeed they are suggested by both ends of the political spectrum. Any group offering a way for Irish people to organise against these measures, be they an occupy group or a tea party-type group would be welcome to me.

Now, in my opinion, and I'm being completely serious here, if people on here put the same effort into organising any effort in the direction that most people agree we should be pushing (against the troika) as they do in complaining about occupy Waterford, then you might be surprised at what is possible. I have been involved in campaigns in the past, and it is a healthy thing to be engaged in something positive, that may or may not lead to change. It is good for people, it's good for society and it's good for democracy.

To that extent, you can't criticise occupy Waterford, particularly those who spent many weeks sleeping out in the cold and discomfort. Yes, you can complain about a million aspects of the protest -- and virtually all of you still following this thread have -- but a crap protest is better than no protest at all. And whinging about other people protesting, when I'd say 80% of you agree with, or at least have some sympathy for, the main thrust of their campaign is pretty bad form in my opinion. Especially, when people are doing nothing positive themselves.

I also think that there are too many people on here who fancy that they can sum a person up, in terms of politics, jobs, agendas, etc. on the basis of a few posts. Guess what, you can't. Looking forward to be labelled a right wing fascist in a thread coming to you soon... We can keep this thread going for as long as you like but I don't think there's much more to be said on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jpharr

waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Is there cctv on the quay? A friend of mine was walking past one of the occupying signs and it was flapping around in the wind and gave her a deep cut across the forearm? She has the exact time and date of when it happened. Lets see what the waste of space, doleheads, never worked a day in their lives, tent scamming, drinking cups of tea on the quay spastics will say or do when the council gives out their names for solicitor letters. Actually they were all proud to get their photo takin and do articles in the paper, easy enough get their names. This was just a rant about them but she is getting medical and work damages out of them, and the "mental" damage of high up signs on poles

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

hope your friend is ok ... these worthless idiots have done no good since they set up the eyesore on the quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bugz

isn't it a little ironic that they have turned from being the 99% to the 1%?

Seriously lads, the 99% of Waterford wants ye to clean up and go home, ye made your point, fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Another thing about these lads, all they had to do was protest, sit in there make shift house and drink tea and they couldnt do that. If ya cant sit around and drink tea smoking fags who is honestly going to give you a job? Laziness of some people! More serious note, if someone gave me a fully armoured suit that no pointy object could penetrate then id gladly go in and clear out the place but why else would ya clean up suringes? Medical waste team need to come in and bill James Walsh or whatever his name is for the clean up. It was his great idea to do it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

So anyone know where i could buy a tent???? id like one with a good camping history, if i take one from the site formerly called occupy waterford will i get a slap on the wrist from an garda siochana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

well with Occupy Dame Street gone is it time our local Gardai did likeswise down on the quay....

brinty wrote: »
    well with Occupy Dame Street gone is it time our local Gardai did likeswise down on the quay....

Did they abandon camp aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i support there stance, however, its time to go, no one down there, it just looks like a mess with nothing happening now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Nypd wrote: »
    Did they abandon camp aswell ?
    The protestors are still there but the tents and rubbish have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Well hopefully the council will have it cleaned for St Patricks day so it wont be too long. What a pile of absolute childeren, I hope they're cringing with embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

they say they represent the 99%.. bolloxs they do...
    the only thing they want is the 99% to pay for their dole...

and guess who will be billed for the clean up job.. the 99%.. the ordinary man on the street...

so after all these amazing protests, what have they achieved ....

NOTHING except more bills to be paid by the citizens of this state.. thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

i say the genuine occupiers have achieved a lot more than than set out to,
    shur with all the chit chat they attracted here since they set up camp , the problems there which was most down to the freemen dopes......:o
    they arrived too early ,if they waited a while longer till we are in the same austerised situation as greece then more would have turned up , not much longer at that...

• Advertisement

Heard the cops were at the place tonight,
    They could be planning a dame street type move.
    Oh the excitement as they kick in the door of the main tent the look of surprise when the find the whole camp empty.
    Sargent murphy scratching his head as he turns to Garda Jones "be jeysus we have ourself and oulde leak Jonesy, some tipped the bassturds off and they have all escape"

Camera cuts away and zooms on a group of confused Garda as they Scan the pavements for signs of a tunnel.

Advertisement