Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debit card refused

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

Debit card refused at garage and I went to car to get cash. Person at till would not give me back card stating that is the law to hold onto card until I pay cash instead.

I was walking 5 metre to the car to get cash!

Is this the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi,

Debit card refused at garage and I went to car to get cash. Person at till would not give me back card stating that is the law to hold onto card until I pay cash instead.

Is this the case.

There's no such law but I believe (urban myth disclaimer) that the shop assistant gets a reward for hanging on to a card that has been reported stolen.

If it was refused for want of money in your account then they were simply holding it as a hostage. Filling stations lose a fortune in 'drive-offs', in fact up around Newry I have seen signs on the pumps stating that people in ROI registered cars must pay in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi,

Is this the case.

No. And this might be an issue if you need the same debit card to get money from the ATM ..

No. And this might be an issue if you need the same debit card to get money from the ATM ..

If the card was refused at the store's terminal, how would it get him cash from an ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

coylemj wrote: »
    If the card was refused at the store's terminal, how would it get him cash from an ATM?

Could be a problem with the stores terminal has happened to be before

Could be a problem with the stores terminal has happened to be before

Read the thread title - the OP's said his card was 'refused', no mention of a read error or a fault with the machine. Every filling station has more than one terminal to process cards, if there was a problem with the terminal they would have tried another machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Read the thread title - the OP's said his card was 'refused', no mention of a read error or a fault with the machine. Every filling station has more than one terminal to process cards, if there was a problem with the terminal they would have tried another machine.
    I did read the title and seen the word refused but that does mean it was not a read error or a fault. The machine contacts the card holders bank to verify that there is enough funds to cover the transaction. If it can't not connect it would be refused. If the op goes to an ATM the atm connects and see there in enough funds the money would be given even if the terminal refused. As I have said I have seen it before. The op did state what filling station he was in so if it's a small filling station with one till it only has one terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This has happened to me a few times (well twice). Machine is shop declines sale, In-store ATM give me cash.

The POS would seek an authorisation via the Visa Network to get to my Bank, the ATM was the Banks, so a direct connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

It is not the law to hold on to the card, it is probably just company policy. The reasons being that you are less likely to drive off if they have your card as you won't want to lose it and if you do drive off instead of coming back with the cash, at least they will have your debit card. Which will help them when reporting you to the Gardaí. They will have your registration number, your face on video and your name on the debit card.

Advertisement