Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Citizen, Permanent residence Ireland...Grant query!

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Have tried to get a straight answer from the Student Finance Website but of course I was asking too much....Yes this is another grant/maintenance question but with a twist! And apologies for the long winded post!

Anyways, I am hoping to start the Primary PGCE in London next September but have a few questions as to what Im entitled to.

My problem is I have dual citizenship, I have two passports, one Irish one British. Have never lived in the U.K but attained my citizenship through my mother. So Ive been told I am classed as a "settled" british citizen.

So basically my question is am I entitled to anything from the Irish/English Government? Hope someone was/is in the same boat I'm in and could shed some light on the situation.

I asked the student finance the same question i.e am I entitiled to grants etc. and what I should apply for and this is what I got back.... No more no less.

As you may be aware there was a change to
    the Education (student support) Regulations in the 2006/07 academic year, the 2009/10 academic year, reference to these changes can be found in,

The Education (Student Support) (No.2) Regulations 2008 No.1582, page 115,
    Schedule 2, Part 2, Paragraph 8.
    If a student has been *settled in the UK, who then exercises their right to
    roam within the EEA, provided they do not leave the EEA, and return to the
    UK at least one day prior to the start of their course, they should be
    eligible as a UK Home student.

* Settled – this is in accordance with the Immigration Act 1971.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Have never lived in the U.K

I do not believe that a person who has never lived in the UK will be eligible for UK government support. Citizenship is not the primary issue, residence is. The clause you refer to above is to allow someone who was eligible to travel around a bit without losing their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

+1 to ardmacha. Your citizenship isn't the basis for the grant in this case, but residency. (to illustrate I'm an Irish born citizen who didn't qualify for the Irish grants system at undergrad because I'd been living in the UK).

AFAIK you don't qualify for UK student loans through the SLC, but you do qualify for a tuition fee loan (see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_065322). When I was starting college a few years back they were really clamping down on expat kids returning to the UK for university and I'm fairly sure the residency requirement was 3 years or something similar. It might differ for PGCE (with all the bursaries and golden hellos they have), but to have had settled status at any point you would have to have lived there first for a period of time, then gone away, then come back. From what you've said you've never lived there though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Yep Ive never lived there, just recieving so much conflicting information, no one seems to want to give me a straight answer, typical of any grants system I suppose.

Was just hoping someone on boards had been in a similar situation and could shed light on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

you definetly still should qualify for a grant from the county council/vec. cause in the end of the day you still are an irish citizen and resident of cork i take it. wouldnt be the surest of what the story is with the student finance area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

regob wrote: »
    you definetly still should qualify for a grant from the county council/vec. cause in the end of the day you still are an irish citizen and resident of cork i take it. wouldnt be the surest of what the story is with the student finance area

The grants system doesn't go beyond the 32 counties at postgrad level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement